Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Future Eagles Projects

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Future Eagles Projects

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    Speaking of Jack, he just put out a new album and the title track "Learning To Dance" is a beautiful ballad that would be perfect for Glenn to sing.
    I think Glenn has become too dependent on Tempchin. He keeps calling himself a songwriter. Surely he is capable of writing some songs without relying on Tempchin all the time.

Banned

I think Jack Tempchin's Learning To Dance and East Of Eden are better than any of his Eagles songs barring Already Gone.

I'm a bit worried about Glenn's ability to write up tempo songs for himself. Long Road Out Of Eden needed an up tempo Frey track, It's hard to believe that he couldn't come up with anything better than the covers, How Long and Somebody in all the time since Get Over It. He's followed that with a (very good) easy-listening album but it has just the one, token up-tempo track on it. The uninspired choice of Route 66.

Cass County has done great so far but any new material will still sell better with the Eagles name on it, rather than as a solo release. Hopefully when the guys grow weary of their solo excursions and become tired of being the boss, they'll reconvene with a substantial bunch of new Eagles material to present.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I think Jack Tempchin's Learning To Dance and East Of Eden are better than any of his Eagles songs barring Already Gone.

I'm a bit worried about Glenn's ability to write up tempo songs for himself. Long Road Out Of Eden needed an up tempo Frey track, It's hard to believe that he couldn't come up with anything better than the covers, How Long and Somebody in all the time since Get Over It. He's followed that with a (very good) easy-listening album but it has just the one, token up-tempo track on it. The uninspired choice of Route 66.

Cass County has done great so far but any new material will still sell better with the Eagles name on it, rather than as a solo release. Hopefully when the guys grow weary of their solo excursions and become tired of being the boss, they'll reconvene with a substantial bunch of new Eagles material to present.
    Glenn seems to have lost the inspiration to write, period. I'm bothered by that a lot, but at this point, I'd be content for him to make an album of covers with a few originals sprinkled in just to get some music out of him.

I agree 100% about Glenn needing uptempo songs to sing on LROOE. I'm glad he found "How Long" and "Somebody," even if he had no hand in writing them. Actually, I pretty much assumed he had a hand in writing the latter because it sounded like something he might come up with. I have no idea as to his future plans, but I would hope that he does another solo album if the Eagles aren't going to record again as a group. And, I hope even more that he comes up with a few good rockers!!!

Stuck on the Border

While I agree with the thrust of both of your posts I think it's a bit unfair to say the choice of Route 66 was uninspired. It worked great live.

I don't know what will happen now & I don't wish to repeat what others have said.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I guess basically I can sum up my thoughts on this topic by saying I hope each of the guys in the band spends their time doing whatever the heck they want to do. At their age, I believe they've earned that right. As a fan, of course I would like to hear new Eagles material, but only if their hearts are really in it and it were up to the high standards the band has set for themselves. Considering the length of time it takes them to collaborate on a band project, I doubt that it will happen. I would also look forward to a Broadway musical, but again, only if it is very high quality, which certainly can be done. I think Glenn is the one band member that has always shown a lot of interest in exploring possibilities outside of music. Again, as much as I, as a fan, would love to see the band continue to tour and record, I would rather see each of them pursue their own happiness whatever it involves. I'm not interested in a half-hearted effort from any of them - that's just not how they became successful and it won't work now either.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I agree with all of that, Dreamer.

I do too.

Rant ahead...

I hope the band can squeak out a new album or even a new song (like they did with HITW before LROOE, although I realize that was a different thing because of what happened). I'd be up for a new "Get Over It" type song.

I personally love Cass County front-to-back. While the songs in their are original form aren't my thing, the way Don does them is new and fresh without being too poppy.

Unfortunately I didn't care for After Hours (only because it's not my kind of music), and Analog Man has worn off on me. I hate to say it as a Walsh fan primarily, but it just had some "pop cheese" over the sound, and I still say it's at least partially due to Jeff Lynne. For me some of the songs were a little too polished and not that there is anything wrong with that (I like "Eagles" polished), but not in the way it was done on AM.

For instance, I agree with the emphasis and thought behind Analog Man (I agree with Joe on his thoughts on modern music and the greatness that is analog), but it has this shine on it and it just doesn't sit well with me. For ODAAT, I prefer the F1 version and I listen to it more than the track on AM.

Out of the recent solo albums, Cass County and Road To Forever would be my choices. Cass County is getting rave reviews and I think it's unfair to boil it down to just marketing. It's a fantastic album by many regarded critics and is a really "raw" sounding album to me. Road To Forever has tracks I listened to more than AM, but I don't listen to it front-to-back much.

We waited a REALLY long time for Don's solo album and I'm here to say it was worth the wait. It really is a solid album, and I'm not a traditional country guy.

What I'm not cool with, is Don's solo tour setlist. Not playing any Eagles songs and limited solo songs is a loss for me. I just don't like the idea of going to a show and having it be 2/3rds new stuff, as much as I like Cass County I'd want him to play at least Hotel California and OOTN. IIRC, on Glenn's After Hours tour he still played solo songs and Eagles songs. It's just the right thing to do IMO. I think the reason he's playing SBR on this tour is because it sounds similar to the music on the record to me, anyway.

I really am hoping after this solo stuff the band can pull together and do something new. New music, or a new show (with a refreshed setlist). Or both. I know that sounds strange coming from someone who was not a fan of LROOE (IMO it was dominated by Henley songs that were just too "out there" for me and mostly just reflecting Henley's feelings on Modern America). I'm hoping I'll like something new. I loved GOI and HITW, I know they are capable of still rocking, or at least make an album that sounds more classic Eagles to me.

Maybe they need some inspiration? Idk for sure, but routine and a comfort zone, while having their merits, probably don't provide the level of digging and soul searching necessary to kick out new material.

Back in the day, they were regular (or ordinary and average, thank you, Joe) guys trying to make it. Go from nobody to big-time fast and the words probably come. And where there are words, there will be music. Unless, of course, one does that the other way around. Sit in the (newly acquired) lime light just long enough, and opinions and observations shouldn't be hard to come by. Just write them down and start singing.

Then, there's the crowd (or the company). Small clubs, or on the road hotel rooms, packed with talented people who express themselves for a living, is bound to bring about something worthy of a recording session.

I'm sure they all still have it in them, but the prospective has had to have changed. Even a rock star routine is a routine?

Banned

From Hell Freezes Over to Long Road Out Of Eden there was a real dearth of new material from the Eagles, namely one album each, from Don and Tim. Things have improved since.

Long Road Out Of Eden has, in retrospect, proved to be a huge weight lifted off their shoulders. Joe's a busy bee again. Henley says he is enjoying himself in the studio. Tim's almost relaunched a solo career, Glenn slipped out of his comfort zone for After Hours.

According to Joe the Eagles have finished new songs since LROOE so they have continued to work together creatively and they've found a workable method of producing new material. The internet allows them to do the bulk of the toil without them being together at the same location, which must be highly beneficial.

After ignoring the existence of Long Road Out Of Eden during the History Of The Eagles Tour, a follow up shouldn't be too daunting. Arguably, it'd be easier than producing a solo album, maybe not as satisfying though.