Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

Border Desperado

Default Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

I think the lead vocal is different from any other vocal I've ever heard them do... it is a really amazing song... all the best in eagle textures, sinister, dark, and so self indicting...

Was the song about Geffen?

it is a great lick (the riff) and it is kind of interesting how it showcases Joe, Don and Glenn's most signature type licks... kind of all tied up in one song... the modulations are trick too....
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

Default Re: Is the King of Hollywood the strangest, coolest song or what?

i love Glenn's solo in the song

Stuck on the Border

I love it. I always have loved it. I have no idea who it's about but maybe not David Geffen, given the mogul in this song is chatting up females...

The guitar solos are awesome & the vocals are fantastic - although wouldn't it have been nice if Glenn had sung the main part. As it is he does a beautiful falsetto part which is best heard on the live Long Beach version.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I love it. I always have loved it. I have no idea who it's about but maybe not David Geffen, given the mogul in this song is chatting up females...

The guitar solos are awesome & the vocals are fantastic - although wouldn't it have been nice if Glenn had sung the main part. As it is he does a beautiful falsetto part which is best heard on the live Long Beach version.
    Geffen wasn't always gay. Fo real. He bedded many a lass... before he gave up the fillies for the, uh, uh, ummm... well, yeah.

Stuck on the Border

There's a video of someone playing the first solos on "YouTube"; the first two solos that are kind of one, but the sound changes radically when it moves from one to another in the original. In the youTube comments people are, once again, praising Don Felder for a solo that Glenn played. Don did play the second part, but he gets the credit for the first one too. People praise Don for the solos in "ICTYW". It would be nice if they just admitted that Glenn has an ear for tasty solos too; because if they knew those parts are Glenn's, would they still praise them?

Border Desperado

chaim,

genius post. you are so spot on.... Glenn plays some of the coolest stuff, but he is usually kind of 'shined' on in the guitar community.... it is nonsense.. but you are totally right!

Count me among those who love the guitar solos in this. Listening to the song right now.

I too think chaim's post is dead-on. Glenn's guitar playing skills are often underrated, and it doesn't help that he is so self-deprecating about them.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

This discussion is killing me cuz I'm no musician, have no "ear" to tell who's singing what part, much less who's playing what<G>. So I got the booklet out but have been actually listening to the words for the first time, dang, it's blunt! And funny cuz it's true.

But anyway, I've watched Glenn do the guitar solo work in other songs and he never really "shines" as you said, he just does his thing and stays back, but his stuff makes the song as much as, if not more, than Felder in spots. He's a great guitarist to me, with my inexpertise at these things.

Just thought I'd throw in my one cent worth........
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Stuck on the Border

By the way, if anyone thinks that I'm saying that Glenn is better than Don, I am not! It just bugs me that no one (outside the "Eagles circle") allows him-/herself to recognize good guitar stuff from Glenn, except when they think it's by someone else!

I agree with that, I wasn't saying he was better. Each guy is excellent in the parts in the song that he plays solo. But also like you said, Glenn has never been recognized for his efforts and at this late date, probably never will be........
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.