Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 28343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles books

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles books

There's a very short e-book about an LA folk club which promises stories on familiar names, including Longbranch Pennywhistle. It's free to "borrow" with Amazon Prime in the US (but not UK).
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015D9D1DK?keywords=fantastic%20expedition&qid=144 4326807&ref_=nav_signin&sr=8-1[/ame]

I bought it from Amazon.ca for Kindle for $3.95.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by GlennLover View Post
    I bought it from Amazon.ca for Kindle for $3.95.
    Is it worthwhile?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Is it worthwhile?
    I've just skimmed through it. Glenn & JD are mentioned several times, mostly just saying that they played on this show or that. There is, however, a few paragraphs on Longbranch Pennywhistle. I'll post & paraphrase it later, as I don't have time right now. The "article", as the writer calls it, is about an LA club in the later 1970's. The majority of the artists mentioned are relatively unknown.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I just finished reading the Eagles FAQ book. Overall, I enjoyed it. I really liked the inclusion of telling about Eagles related things, like the history of the Troubadour. Having other musicians talk about the band was also cool. I didn't learn anything new, but it's still a well written biography.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I collect all the Eagles books I can for that reason. Even if there's no new information, it's fun to look at the different photos and approaches.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I just finished reading the Eagles FAQ book. Overall, I enjoyed it. I really liked the inclusion of telling about Eagles related things, like the history of the Troubadour. Having other musicians talk about the band was also cool. I didn't learn anything new, but it's still a well written biography.
    I'm going to ask Santa for that.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I've just ordered Ben Fong-Torres' Taking It To The Limit. and Laura Jackson's Flying High. Both are available on Amazon, and are fairly cheap, though Flying High has to come from the UK. I bought something for my mom, and those 2 books were under the recommendations, so why not? I wanted to get Andrew Vaughan's other book The Eagles: An American Band, but it's a little too high priced for me.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

My Rick Roberts (Firefall, Burrito Brothers, Roberts-Meisner Band) book "Lame Brain" arrived yesterday and I tucked into it right away. Roberts has a conversational, easy style of writing without being rambling or disorganized.

Rick mentions that he was a regular at the infamous Don 'n Glenn poker games of the early 70s. Randy was a frequent guest, that's mainly how Rick got to know him. They later formed the Roberts-Meisner Band and toured the U.S. sporadically circa 1987-89.

Most of Rick's book is about his life in the 1980s up to the present, so there's very little detail about the "glory days" and more about his declining career and growing dependence on the bottle. It sounds depressing, and some parts are sad, but it's content that most biographies tend to skim over (if they address it honestly at all) so it's certainly worthwhile IMO.

Rick describes Randy as a kind, gentle man who (in Rick's opinion) was haunted by his decision to leave the Eagles. Though Rick says Randy was backed into a corner and had to leave to preserve his self-respect, nevertheless we all know it's been a challenging road for Meis since then. Roberts also describes Randy as his "equal partner in crime" in "drinking and sniffing at full tilt" during their time together. Roberts believes now their reputation as "big-time party guys" hurt their careers in ways they didn't realize at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I would really like to read the unpublished 900-page Eagles biography that was written by Ed Sanders in the early 80s. As an authorised biography, it might be missing some of the dirt, but at least he was writing without the tricks thirty years plays on memories.

The book's mentioned in an old People magazine article.
    Me too. Ed Sanders is a very unusual man. I wonder why the Eagles chose him as their biographer? UtW, how do we know the manuscript is 900 pages? I wouldn't be surprised if Sanders linked the Eagles with the Manson family or had some other wacky conspiracy theories woven into the mix.