Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

Default Re: Eagles musical: "Hotel California"

According to the FB page for that musical, the production was withdrawn from the festival and the page is scheduled to be removed from the site.

Possibly due to copyright infringement? Who knows! No reason was given on the page.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NOLA View Post
    According to the FB page for that musical, the production was withdrawn from the festival and the page is scheduled to be removed from the site.

Possibly due to copyright infringement? Who knows! No reason was given on the page.
    That must have been disappointing for the performers but at least they got the attention of Messrs Frey, Henley and Azoff.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Which songs could be used to dramatise the breakup?
    After the Thrill is Gone and Wasted Time.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    After the Thrill is Gone and Wasted Time.
    Yes, but the titles alone aren't enough. The lyrics have to fit the theme. ATTIG does, I guess, but WT would have to be adapted somewhat to get rid of the parts about the woman & her relationship problems. Maybe WITW would work (I think if their entire discography is to be used there has to be some flexibility about using songs; the important thing is to use them to tell the story & strict chornological order may not work).

However, I maintain we should be wary of thinking this would tell the story of the band. No matter how popular the Eagles are I think this approach would have a limited audience. The people who go to musicals are generally not rock concert audiences.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-09-2015 at 05:17 PM.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

True, we don't know. Though I can't imagine that Don H. in particular would like to see a storyline imposed on the enduring mystery of Hotel California. He won't even say what it's about beyond the "journey from innocence to experience."

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    However, I maintain we should be wary of thinking this would tell the story of the band. No matter how popular the Eagles are I think this approach would have a limited audience. The people who go to musicals are generally not rock concert audiences.
    FP, I totally agree with you there. I'll give you an example of this, my Dad is definitely more in the rock concert audience category. He really doesn't like musicals at all with maybe one or two exceptions, whereas if I'm playing, say, Lynyrd Skynyrd he'll tell me about how he went to see them back in the 1970s. I think I'm the same - given a choice between an Eagles musical or going to see an Eagles tribute band, I'd far rather go and see the tribute band with talented musicians who love the band and their music.

This analogy may be a bit of an odd one to use but I think it's a bit like the situation in the UK with the beloved children's character Thomas The Tank Engine. There are two main ways that young children can 'meet' Thomas in the UK. One is by going to the officially licensed Thomas Land theme park, which has an outwardly perfect looking replica of the TV character, but it has never had to pull a proper train in its life and isn't actually even a steam engine (in fact it's diesel powered), the other involves going to a preserved railway where you can ride a passenger train behind a Thomas that may not look quite as perfect, but which is a real working steam engine with bags of character, run by knowledgeable and enthusiastic volunteers. I really don't mind if other people disagree, but if I had young children, I know which one I'd choose to take them to.

Stuck on the Border

From 2012 (it may be referenced earlier in the thread, but only as a link):
    Frey and his songwriting buddy Don Henley are working with producer Rita Wilson on a Broadway musical incorporating their music, called Hotel California.
    They have enlisted director Michael Mayer, famed for the rock musicals Spring Awakening and Green Day's American Idiot, and the script is currently being polished. The only sure thing is that the musical will feature wall-to-wall Eagles hits.
    "That's the point and it's not just the songs from Hotel California," Frey says. "One of those Nights, Desperado, Lyin' Eyes, The King of Hollywood, Witchy Woman - there's so many other songs that fit into what happens at the hotel . . . hopefully we'll have something together for 2014."
    https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/en...of-favourites/

Does he mean Rita Wilson, Tom Hanks wife? I think she is a producer.
    Anyway, 2014 has past & 2015 is almost over, so I can see they aren't in any rush about doing this show. My feeling is that it won't be happening for at least another year.

Look how long it took Don to get his album out? They are really meticulous about what they do & if it has their names on it, you can bet it's going to be a long time in the making. Not holding my breath, just hope I live to see it!

Yes, he does mean Tom Hanks, wife. Their kids went to the same school & Glenn & Cindy have apparently remained friends with Tom & Rita.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

My local classic rock radio station announced this morning that the musical was being performed at some theater I've never heard of on December 19th. It said to go to hotelcal.com for tickets so I went there but the website was about an Eagles tribute band and it had nothing to do with the musical. So I'm really confused about this whole thing.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.