Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Henley Says Eagles Reunion Possible with Glenn Frey's Son

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Henley Says Eagles Reunion Possible with Glenn Frey's Son

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    How many people on this board would actually go and see this 'band' without Mr Frey? How many people consider that his songs were so unimportant that they can just be ditched? How many people would actually consider it the real thing?
    I would, FP. Why would they ditch Glenn's songs? Others can sing them. It's not the original thing, but the songs stand up on their own.

Keep in mind that lots of people, including members of this board, actually pay good money to see Eagles tribute bands. The point I'm making is that people love the songs.

I really hope you are seeing that my perspective is not remotely an attempt to diminish Glenn's talent and impact, nor is it an attempt to argue with you. It's just...the other guys, who we also love, are still out there, playing the songs. I'll be happy to be in their presence no matter what they call themselves or what they play or who they play with. I'm sorry if you see this as a betrayal of Glenn or his memory.

Stuck on the Border

I can't remember what my original position was but I may be turning through 180 degrees. I've now read interviews by Don, Joe and Timothy where they have each mentioned the possibility of doing something - while making it clear that nothing has been discussed. With those three being open to the idea, I don't see how Irving could resist. However, whatever they do, I'm sure they will try to be respectful of Glenn and will involve Glenn's family in the discussions.

I'm neither for nor against it, at this point, but it would have to be something really special to get me there.

As for new music, I do wonder if there is any finished or unfinished material that could be completed for release. I'm not talking about a quick cash-in, but something that could be done with love and care. I hate the thought that Glenn worked hard on something that will never be heard.

Border Troubadour

Well, I for one would be very happy to go to see Don, Joe and Timothy together. Of course they wouldn't refer to themselves as the Eagles - maybe former Eagles. Don made it quite clear that the Eagles died when Glenn died. But these three touring together, playing their solo sets and playing Eagles' songs (not Glenn's as Don said he wouldn't sing Glenn's songs) would be a great show. Of course it wouldn't be the same and I am expressing my personal feelings and I'm not trying to be disrespectful to Glenn's memory by expressing that opinion. But I do feel that there would be an appetite to hear these guys together....

.... Do I believe that it will happen? Most definitely NO! I don't believe Don would do it because of the memories and associations with Glenn. His hypothetical answer regarding Deacon was just him thinking out loud. I repeat, I don't think it will ever happen but there's nothing wrong in contemplating it or speculating on it.
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

If I say yes, I hope I don't get berated or fussed at because I say yes because that's what's been going on lately.

If they decided to do one off show or a few shows, I would go, but only if its close by. I'm sorry to say I'm not going to LA or even NYC to see them. Not because Glenn is not there, but because I can't afford to go anywhere that's not between an hour to 10 hours drive. I can't afford a plane ticket. That would be my only reason for not going.

I'm one of those people who didn't get to see them as a group and I will never forgive myself for not pushing myself to seeing them these last 3 years. They were always hinting this could be the last tour(I hate that it came true), but I push it to the side since they always say that, but nobody expect what would happen 6 months later. I had too many I will see them next year moments and my "I will push to see them next year" came too late because I was going to try to see them this year if they decided to go tour. Of course Glenn got sick and I was going to try to see them if they decided to go back on tour once Glenn got better. Of course Glenn didn't get better and I miss my chance. My memories of the guys will be YouTube concert clips and DVDs since I didn't see them in concert. I don't have a concert memory of Glenn and the guys like the others have. I didn't get to see them 3 or 4 times.

Maybe some people are not going to support the remaining members as solo acts. I know some who are not going to and that's your decision, but I'm going to support them. I saw Joe in August. I had a ball seeing him and hanging with Soda. I can't wait to see my very first Don show in January(which I was going to try to see with an Eagles show this year) in Houston which not in a million years I would had never travel to Houston, but I am.

Whatever decision the guys make later down the road, I will support. Maybe I'm stupid and thinking with my head than my heart.

I wonder if it was Don or any of the other guys instead of Glenn that died, would we be having this argument and division that's happening right now. IMO. I say no. You know you will still see them if any of the other guys left this world. If any of the other guys left this world, I would still support the surviving members.

I'm just so tired of Don getting so much flake these past 9 months. Rather its Don touring too soon after Glenn's death(I still don't get why nobody was giving Joe so much flake when he was the first to put out dates), Don not saying anything about Glenn(Joe was getting that too), Don's quote from an article that the darn media just picked up on a month after he said it, Don's fault with what's going with KCH. Everything!!! I'm just want to put my hands and just say "I give up!!!" I kinda know how the Felder's fans and other former members fans are feeling at this moment.

IMO Sometimes I really wish Glenn didn't died in January because I hate this division that's going on between fanbases. If Glenn was still alive, we all would be not biting each other's heads off, fussing at each other or complaining rather the band should still go on or not. We'll be talking about I'm going to see the guys at this city or that city. Its just breaks my heart with all these division going on on this board or getting fuss at because you want this. I try not to take this stuff too personal, but sometimes some people can be down right mean with what you say. I think I just going to stay quiet when it comes to these debates.

I wish I discover Glenn's before he died. I was starting to like his solo music and really appreciate him. Not that I didn't appreciate before. He was a wonderful great musician and singer. Glenn was one of a kind. I do agree that it is hard to full his shoes. Nobody can fill his shoes.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 10-24-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I agree with the others and I would go too. I wouldn't miss seeing Don, Joe, and Timothy together especially since I never saw them with Glenn. I'm not sure if it would happen but if they did something I'd totally support it. I'm not sure if they would get someone or multiple people to do Glenn's songs or do like The Monkees have done and play recordings of Davy Jones for his songs on their tour (and Michael Nesmith has been performing at some shows with Mickey and Peter).

But if they do anything I agree mostly likely it would be a one time tribute show to honor Glenn. I don't think they would use the Eagles name either. Plus, I'm am happy I did get to finally see Don solo this past summer and hope to with Joe and Timothy solo regardless.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

How many people on this board would actually go and see this 'band' without Mr Frey? How many people consider that his songs were so unimportant that they can just be ditched? How many people would actually consider it the real thing?
    Eagles without Glenn Frey wouldn't be the same. The same as Pink Floyd weren't the same without Roger Waters, and Genesis weren't the same without Peter Gabriel.

But, I don't think it being 'the real thing' is a binary either/or situation. If they have three members, then that's more 'the real thing' than if they had two members, or if there was only one Eagle left (as has happened with 10CC.) Being 'the real thing' is a matter of shades of grey. There are still three members of the band left, including Don H who was one of the central two. Four if Bernie is added, etc. And, that only really matters if they call themselves Eagles. If they tour under a different name, then it's just a matter of a few musicians who know each other touring together, and there is no question of them being 'the real thing'.

You do say that you are depressed by this thread, but I think one reason that it continues is that you appear to be putting words into people's mouths that they don't agree with. E.g. 'How many people consider that his songs were so unimportant that they can just be ditched?' I don't think wanting to see a concert with Henley/Walsh/Schmit (however labelled) says that Glenn's songs are unimportant, or they can just be 'ditched'. It's just saying that what is left after Glenn is no longer here would still be worth seeing, if we get the opportunity to see them. They all have a lot of songs up their sleeves, and whether or not they sung the 'Glenn' songs (many of which were co-written with other members) or not, there is still plenty left to make an excellent show. This doesn't devalue, in my eyes, Glenn's songs. It just puts a value on the other guys' songs. In the same way that wanting to see Don H live doesn't devalue Glenn's songs.

I would personally like to see Glenn's songs sung again; I don't want to see them just die. And if they are going to be sung, is there anyone that much better to sing them than the other Eagles members?

As for the suggestion that they should consider doing an album it took them long enough to do LROOE. Why would Henley do an album to make more use of Walsh & Schmit? I got the distinct impression, with his stated opinion that it should have been a single album, that he wasn't happy with their contributions. They have their own careers for that.
    Who knows what they will decide in the future. We know that Don H has worked with both Joe and Tim on his solo albums. E.g. Dirty Laundry. Things have been one way in the past, but perhaps Don H, who always calls in compositional and instrumental help on his solo albums may decide that he'd like to work with them again rather than other contributors such as Stan Lynch or Danny Kortchmar. I'm not saying it's likely, in fact I think it more likely that Don H will just record with non-Eagle collaborators, but I don't think it can be dismissed out of hand. And dismissing it out of hand is how your post reads to me. There are many and complex reasons why people decide to do things or not decide to do things. And these reasons change over time. I don't think we understand the remaining Eagles members' motivations and personalities enough to preclude anything happening. Particularly since things can change over time.

They are all skilled musicians and songwriters. If they decided to do another album, they could write, record, and produce it in any way that they wanted to. Just because their last album took a long time and was (in Don H's view, not mine) overlong doesn't mean that a future one would have to be. If that's what they decide (which I don't think they will.)

I apologise for going over the top with the 'I can't express myself' stuff but I am finding this thread more & more depressing & distressing the further it goes. I hope that makes sense. I am NOT trying to tell the former Eagles what to do. But I personally don't WANT them to continue as if nothing happened. They haven't had a lineup change. Their founder died.
    Continuing and acting as if something (rather than nothing) happened are not mutually exclusive. Provided that the members want to continue (and I think they don't) then I think the only reason they shouldn't is if there isn't enough talent left in the band to continue. Which I think isn't the case here. They could still write and record an excellent album if they wanted to. And even if they were spent but decided that they still enjoyed music and still wanted to create and wanted to label it Eagles e.g. so that more people would want to listen to it, why should they not do so? We can see that many Eagles fans would be outraged, as many Pink Floyd fans were outraged by a Waters-less PF, and many Genesis fans were outraged by Genesis without Gabriel, but do fans really have the right to limit or otherwise influence what the actual artists do?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    What would they want to prove anyway?
    And here we again have the type of disrespect I called out in FPs post.

It's OK to say you don't want to see any future iteration of Don, Tim and Joe.

It's OK to ask who would want to see them tour.

I don't think anyone on here has any problem with any of this.

The reason I continue to step in and why this topic won't die is because it is not OK to question the guys' motivation if they wish to continue to perform. It's disrespectful and it is not your place. Why does anyone do anything? Maybe their motivation would be financial, maybe creative, maybe social - doesn't matter. These types of statements go one step too far. It goes from mourning the loss of Glenn to actively disrespecting the surviving members, for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Glennsallnighter View Post
    I'm 100% with FP on this one. Glenn was the cornerstone of the Eagles. Without him they are no more IMHO. I do not think they can just rebrand like that and replace him, even with Deacon. What would they want to prove anyway?
    I agree with MaryCalifornia with her comments on these two posts!

Yes, it is heartbreakingly sad that Glenn is no longer here, but there are a lot of people who are fans of Don, Joe and Timothy as well and would go to see them if they continued on.
    As for the comment that Glenn's songs are considered to be "so unimportant that they can just be ditched" - that is wrong on so many levels and is such an insult to the fans of this group!! It is possible to be a fan of the music as well as the people who write/sing the songs.

The amount of disrespect shown towards anyone who is not a 100% Glenn fan is maddening - we are all entitled to post our thoughts on this, whether everyone agrees with them or not.
    All this debating is probably in vain, as Don, Joe and Timothy might decide not to continue with the band or they might decide to continue on in some form or other - that alone is their decision and all we can do is speculate and wonder about it here.

I know this bit is slightly off topic and a bit ironic, but I understand how Felder fans feel when certain posts are made about him .....
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

I wanted to add to my post. Yes I have my individual favorite, but when the guys are together as a group, I love them as equals. Even though I'm a Don fan, some of my favorite Eagle songs are sung by Glenn. I even have a least favorite Eagles song sung by Don. I don't always like all the songs Don sing. I do agree with others that Glenn is very hard to replace. He's irreplaceable IMO just like Don is too if Don left this world.

Like I said earlier, I really hate the division that's going on at right now. It sad that the death of Glenn is dividing us. Like L101 said, you can be a fan of the music as well as the people who writes or sings the songs.

L101. That's how I'm feeling too and it kinda hurts to tell the truth. Its hard to respect everybody's feelings when you don't get the respect back sometimes. Its just my honest opinion and only my opinion before I chewed out.

Stuck on the Border

I don't understand this 'disrespect' business & that I am apparently supposed to support everything Henley, Walsh & Schmit do without question. I never had the slightest intention of being 'disrepectful' to any of them. If people have this impression, then I apologise. I have already said where I think the 'disrespect' is.

If the fans of Henley, Walsh & Schmit would be happy for something like this to occur & would go & see it, that is fine by me. But please don't expect Frey fans to just shrug their shoulders & say 'yeah, OK'.

How is my statement about Glenn's songs perhaps being ditched in any continuation not about the songs? Those songs were & are great. It would be tragic to see a show with these guys & none of those songs played. So it IS about the songs, not just about Glenn.

Shun, I have said not a word in this thread about Henley. I agree with what others have said that his comments were twisted out of proportion.

Oh, and to put it mildly, I wish Glenn had not died too. But not because it has 'divided the fanbase'. I can only assume you didn't mean that statement to come out quite the way it did.

I'n not going to address any of AT's arguments. He puts them well. Everyone puts their arguments well.

I will leave you to it. But I have one last comment which was written by Mr Frey himself.

Sometimes you can't go back again.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-24-2016 at 07:18 PM.