Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Eagles Song Survivor: The Long Run

Default Re: Eagles Song Survivor: The Long Run

I'm voting for The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks. I don't get the song even though its got a great beat.

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

I missed the Teenage Jail elimination, so please ignore my previous post.

For this round, I vote for The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks

I note that no-one has voted for King of Hollywood yet. That was a song I didn't like so much when the album came out, but I've grown to like it more.
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 09-29-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post

I note that no-one has voted for King of Hollywood yet. That was a song I didn't like so much when the album came out, but I've grown to like it more.
    Indeed, I believe I once called it my least favourite Eagles song but as I've listened to it more and more it's really grown on me. Captures the dark mood of the album in general probably better than any other song and the guitar work is exemplary.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying Twit View Post
    Same here. It still wouldn't make my top 10 but I definitely like it more than I used to.

I wasn't planning to vote for the Beatles' Birthday song, but with In the City and I Can't Tell You Why already getting votes, I might have to re-think this. I'm going to wait and see.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

For me the next song to go has to be The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - I think it is by a long way the weakest of the eight remaining songs, and every single one of the other seven songs beats Greeks easily.

AT, I think Greeks would have been easier to justify had The Long Run been released as a double album (as I believe was originally intended) which would have allowed the inclusion of one or two 'silly' songs which would have added a lighter touch to the album - for instance, the inclusion of Boogie With Stu on Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti, a song which is quite similar to Greeks in some ways (a slightly bizarre and 'old school' 50s/early 60s rock and roll type song), doesn't harm that double album at all IMO even though the song itself is not especially great. The problem with including a song of this nature on a 40-minute or so single album is that if there's only 8-10 songs then one of those spots is going to a 'fun but not great' song. I still like it, but I think it is one of their least important and least impressive songs.

I strongly agree with tlr about The Sad Café. I have always loved this song - indeed at one point it was the only song I loved from the album. I think I'd be trying to hold back the tears in The Sad Café itself if it went out before Greeks! Next round will be interesting I think once (hopefully) the last of the album's three oft-derided tunes goes.

Out on the Border BornBandCreature's Avatar

Those Shoes

My vote is for The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks - It's definitely the weakest song left in the game.
    I agree with TLR and JCL, The Sad Café shouldn't be leaving the game at this stage as it is one of the strongest songs on the album along with King Of Hollywood - that song is a pure classic!

ETA: I didn't think much of Those Shoes either until I heard it live on the HOTE tour, and it was amazing especially the drumming - not sure how I can vote for the rest of the rounds now, I love all the remaining songs
    Last edited by L101; 09-29-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

The Sad Cafe and King of Hollywood are my favourites on the album.
    I didn't have much time for Those Shoes until I heard it live but I still don't think a lot of it as an album cut.

I actually like King of Hollywood. I didn't like it at first, but I started to slowly like it. I guess love him Don not singing in his usual range. Its nice hearing Don singing lower. You don't get that all the time.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

KOH is also one of my favorites on the album. I know some don't like the subject matter, but I love Don's voice and the guitars.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten