Page 46 of 145 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Eagles.... 3.0

It wasn't quite as quick as that. The Montreal interview was published 9th September 2016. In it Don said there had been no discussions.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    It wasn't quite as quick as that. The Montreal interview was published 9th September 2016. In it Don said there had been no discussions.
    UTW - He gave another interview in March 2016 with I believe a Montreal newspaper regarding this. I remember reading it then and of course can not find the interview now. In the interview Don stated he would consider re-forming the Eagles if Deacon Frey agreed to be part of it.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 12-16-2017 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    UTW - He gave another interview in March 2016 with I believe a Montreal newspaper regarding this. I remember reading it then and of course can not find the interview now. In the interview Don stated he would consider re-forming the Eagles if Deacon Frey agreed to be part of it.
    I don't remember when but I definitly recall Don stating he would consider reforming if Deacon agreed to be a part of it. Later, he back pedaled the comment saying he hadn't discussed it with Cindy or Deacon and it was another lesson in keeping his mouth shut.

Given this is what happened ... Deacon did join the band ...it would appear the idea could certainly have germinated shortly after the private memorial at the Forum.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Stuck on the Border

NKIT, this is the September interview which was published just before Don played Montreal.

I remember that interview in September 2016 well. I foolishly believed Don when he said he was taken out of context and that he had no intention of reforming the Eagles with Deacon. How confidently I proclaimed "the truth" that the Eagles were done in the thread it sparked!

I trusted him.

I look back now at my posts declaring to the cynical doubters that Don meant what he said, and it makes me so freaking sad. When he broke his word, he broke my heart.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I remember that interview in September 2016 well. I foolishly believed Don when he said he was taken out of context and that he had no intention of reforming the Eagles with Deacon. How confidently I proclaimed "the truth" that the Eagles were done in the thread it sparked!

I trusted him.

I look back now at my posts declaring to the cynical doubters that Don meant what he said, and it makes me so freaking sad. When he broke his word, he broke my heart.
    Same here.

Also in the recent Rolling Stone interview, he talked about watching Deacon at his father's memorial service, and then:

It's extraordinary what that young man has done. I saw him sing "Peaceful Easy Feeling" at his father's memorial service. As difficult as that might have been, he was so brave and composed. I'm sure, on the inside, he was churning. After a few months went by, I thought, "Why not see if he would like to be in the band?"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...future-w511253

I echo Soda's sentiment. It was a trust thing and it was broken and it was incredibly saddening that he'd go back on his word. And it made me like DH a little less and soured my opinion of him.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Banned

I've never taken any of Henley's statements as gospel. If he stuck to his word when he said, "the Eagles will reunite when Hell Freezes Over", which I'm not even sure he really said, although he's never denied it, I'd have never seen Eagles in concert and Joe Walsh could have died in the rock&roll gutter.

I like to think that, after hearing the suggestion that he may be asked to join the Eagles, Deacon started practicing his Eagles chops, 24/7 (allowing for sleep) and then when Henley back tracked on the idea, somebody close to Deacon, informed Don that Deacon had taken it seriously and had been spending every waking hour, preparing for the invite.

Don is then in a position where he either offers Deacon a chance or serves him a major brushoff. Here's where that nice Mr. Gill comes into the picture. After some discussion, the band decide that maybe Deacon plus an established artist, to absorb some of the pressure, could be made to work. There's so much talent within the Eagles, they could always make it work.

I've always believed that Don, Joe and Tim would reunite as Eagles, some time in the future, I was just surprised that it came so soon after Glenn's death, and that it involved Deacon Frey and Vince Gill. That's how I came up with this particular scenario.

The arguments about huge ticket prices and Don and Irving's cynicism and greed are really nothing new. They've been on the receiving end of such malicious accusations for decades. It never seems to affected their popularity though.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I like to think that, after hearing the suggestion that he may be asked to join the Eagles, Deacon started practicing his Eagles chops, 24/7 (allowing for sleep) and then when Henley back tracked on the idea, somebody close to Deacon, informed Don that Deacon had taken it seriously and had been spending every waking hour, preparing for the invite.
    I highly doubt that this is how it played out. I think it's more of a thing of Don begging Deacon than vice versa. Deacon isn't even a musician's musician, he was more into other interests and his own music he dabbled in was hip-hop. They needed him more than vice versa. Though now he gets to add the Eagles to his resume, so it will help him in the future, regardless of how I feel it was too easy. The only times Deacon even played that kind of music was with Glenn for a couple times, I think maybe a benefit if my mind recalls. Not a diehard player.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I highly doubt that this is how it played out. I think it's more of a thing of Don begging Deacon than vice versa. Deacon isn't even a musician's musician, he was more into other interests and his own music he dabbled in was hip-hop. They needed him more than vice versa. Though now he gets to add the Eagles to his resume, so it will help him in the future, regardless of how I feel it was too easy. The only times Deacon even played that kind of music was with Glenn for a couple times, I think maybe a benefit if my mind recalls. Not a diehard player.
    You could be right but I feel like he has a lot of fun doing this and loves this opportunity. Even if he prefers hip hop this is great for his own career no matter what he does. I doubt don would beg to Deacon. I’m not sure who’s idea it was first but I find the scenario of Don pleading for a reluctant Deacon to join unlikely. For as much Don loves money, he is near the end of his life. His time is the most important thing. He has limited time with his kids who are still young. I don’t think he is willing to just give up all that time in his life just for the sake of money. He must at some level enjoy this or have a deeper reason to do this. Money doesn’t help him that much At this point in his life