Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins / Genesis

Banned

Default Re: Phil Collins / Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I just bought Three Sides Live on vinyl. I'm not at all familiar with their live recordings, but I couldn't pass up on buying it. I hope that I'm in for a pleasant surprise!
    Which version have you got AG95?, there are two. One, literally has 3 sides live, plus, off the top of my head, a fourth side of, recent at the time, non-album tracks. ie Evidence Of Autumn, Open Door, Paperlate, You Might Recall & Me And Virgil. I haven't heard Open Door for years, I'll have to dig it out and give it a spin.

The second version, the U.K. version, I believe, was completely live. The fourth side was made up of live recordings from a previous tour. The tracks chosen, again off the top of my head, One For The Vine, Fountain Of Salmacis & It / Watcher Of The Skies (closing section) were all tracks I've never seen live and weren't on their previous two live albums. I love all three, particularly the last medley.

These tracks, and Follow You Follow Me, featured, Bill Bruford on drums, who played with Genesis for a short while. Phil decided he wasn't the right guy and brought in Chester Thompson, who has been Phil's stand-in drummer ever since. Joe Vitale almost replaced Chester, when Phil embarked on his solo career, about the time of Three Sides Live. Phil asked Vitale to be the drummer in his solo band. Joe, astoundingly, declined as he had other commitments.

Three Sides Live starts with Turn It On Again, which I thought was a strange choice as I'd seen them live, twice. They opened with Behind The Lines / Duchess, the first time and Dodo/Lurker / Abacab the second time. Both great opening salvoes, all 4 tracks are on Three Sides Live. In concert, they played Turn It On Again late in the show. It later became a wonderful, one song encore.

I was disappointed that Phil's Man On The Corner wasn't on the album but it did have a great version of Me And Sarah Jane. Misunderstanding and Follow You Follow Me were hit singles, certainly enjoyable, if a little lightweight.

The centrepiece is the In The Cage medley. Great lights, great drums, immense power. Sounds good on record too. The medley closes with a stunning Afterglow. The wonderful stage shot, on the inside cover of the double LP, is taken from Afterglow. It was, a hairs on the back of your neck standing up, moment, when the whole stage, bathed in dry ice, turns pink as Phil sings the final chorus.

It's surprising how well the slow songs / ballads go down at a Genesis concert. Remembering that their fans were exclusively adolescent boys for the first 8 to 10 years of their career.

One of Phil's solo staples is the ballad, Separate Lives. I can't stand the single but, there's no doubting that it's one of the highlights of his live show, amongst a whole raft of great tunes.

If, like the Eagles, you're successful all over the world, over a period of several decades, you've earned your luck. You've got to be something special. Genesis are/were!

I don't think there are any surprises on Three Sides Live AG95 but there's a whole lot a great Genesis music.

Banned

After typing all that, I've just read some great Phil Collins/Genesis news.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news...ctive-campaign

Extended Phil Collins reissues to be released in November and, despite trying and opting not to reignite his music career last year, Phil has not given up. He'll be performing a charity fund-raiser in Miami in December.

If Phil gets his mojo back, a Genesis reunion is definitely on the cards but it's a big If.

Always great to hear If Leaving Me Is Easy, too

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I've got the UK version. (Kind of shocked that it's available in the states for a pretty cheap price.) I plan on making tonight "vinyl night" and it'll be first on my record player. "Great music" is what I meant by a surprise. I'm usually not a big fan of non video live albums. (Only exception are Eagles Live, Live at Fillmore East (Allman Brothers Band), and Frampton Comes Alive). To me, very few bands sound as great live as they do in the studio.

I can't picture Joe Vitale playing drums with Genesis. It justs seems to be too odd of a pairing. Until I read the Genesis book, I thought that Chester was the only drummer they ever had after Phil became lead singer.

That's great that Phil is rereleasing some of his solo albums with a bonus disc!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    After typing all that, I've just read some great Phil Collins/Genesis news.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news...ctive-campaign

Extended Phil Collins reissues to be released in November and, despite trying and opting not to reignite his music career last year, Phil has not given up. He'll be performing a charity fund-raiser in Miami in December.

If Phil gets his mojo back, a Genesis reunion is definitely on the cards but it's a big If.

Always great to hear If Leaving Me Is Easy, too
    I've been aware of that for some time. The new covers of FV & BS are very striking; but I haven't decided whether to purchase the reissues or not.

The reality is there will not be a Genesis reunion if Phil can't play. He has to play as well as sing.

Stuck on the Border

Just found this. I didn't know it's on YouTube. Tony gets the prog award and gives a very funny speech. Peter does the introduction - very funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUK3QLAvH6Q

Stuck on the Border

Wow.

'12th best keyboard player? Who the f&*k are the other 11'?!

Excuse me while I faint, although in the third shot (when talking about Margaret) he looks a bit like that other control freak called Tony. Blair.

"I don't want to say anything rude tonight, but one has to say something about hair, maybe. *runs hand through his hair*. But that's ok. You've still got a bit left Peter, probably slightly more than Phil."

I laughed so hard that I cried. Thanks so much for posting that Chaim! Nice to see Tony being recognized for his immense work, and the fact that Peter presented it to him only made it better.

Love those screen shots FP. (Though I must admit to not knowing what Tony Blair looks like).
    -Kim-

Banned

Thanks Chaim and FP.

Except for maybe Steve Hackett and Ray Wilson, the Genesis guys do appear to be a closely knit bunch, even including Anthony Phillips and some of the backstage boys.

I watched Peter Gabriel on The South Bank Show 1983, Making of Security doc too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scmYG1Pv1_Q

San Jacinto is still an event every time I hear it. I bet Peter's still not completely satisfied with I Have The Touch. I think he's released 3 or 4 different versions of that.

The bad reviews Security got are, in retrospect, blinkered and misguided. It was the point where you realised that Peter was wasted as lead singer of Genesis.

I can see why Peter takes so long to make an L.P., especially after digital tech has replaced all those analog synths he was using in the early 80s.

I love Genesis and Eagles but they are complete opposites, when it comes to transparency. Genesis, from the very beginning, have always been happy to share their live material and demo work, even their creative process with their fans. Eagles try to keep all that stuff under wraps, only revealing the end product.

I'm sure Eagles, initially intended to capture the making of Long Road Out Of Eden on film. I expect they abandoned it at the same time as they abandoned working with Bill Szymczyk.

Even in the age before the internet, mp3s and YouTube, Peter casually refers to stealing music, several times during the documentary. I bet Henley still likes him though.

Phil Collins will be releasing his autobiography in October of next year according to Rolling Stone.
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...#ixzz3oNtnxzYE
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Fantastic. We may find out whether it's actually true that he announced to his second wife that he was divorcing her via fax. There is a lot I would like to know about how he felt as the 'third' lyricist in Genesis. Why did his solo career start with so many soul baring, difficult songs & finish up (mostly) as poppy love songs? I love the man & can't wait to read this.

Titles? How about Testify, I Missed Again, Through My Eyes (Spell it right this time, Phil), In Too Deep or (He He) Throwing It All Away? I Don't Care Anymore? I Can't Dance?