Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LAST RESORT mentioned and played on Bill Maher

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: LAST RESORT mentioned and played on Bill Maher

Outlawman - Amen to that. I could not agree more.

Exclamation Re: LAST RESORT mentioned and played on Bill Maher

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    As they should because those guys you mentioned are biggoted pigs....why do you think the musicians you cherish would want top be associated with those clowns? There is also a reason why most artists that we all have loved for years are "lefties". Artists are usually more open minded...accepting of others, of new ideas etc etc etc...something "conservatives" (its right in the name!) are not. Thats why you have to search real hard for a musician that wants to be associated in any way with the current moron in the White House.
    Come on now, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Frankly, I disagree with you on several fronts. Though I am not a musician or artist, I'd appreciate anyone (regardless of their politics) who in turn appreciated my work.
    I might not vote for them or even agree with them on most issues, but that does not alter the fact they appreciate what I do.

Additionally, I'd bet the Eagles or any other band wouldn't want only people from the same political feather to buy their music, otherwise they'd only be half as rich as they are now.

You sweeping generalizations aside, many right of center people enjoy the same music, art, food etc. that people left of center do.
    To try to demonize them all with such labels is as unfair as conservatives assuming all liberals are drug addicted communist traitors. You likely do not fit that comment, just as most conservatives to do fit your comment.

That aside, many country artists support the Republican candidates, but I do not recall any Democrats being barred from playing their music. It is almost as if leftists want to use their art as a weapon rather than appreciating that half the country leans right and enjoys their music.
    So whether I was hard right or hard left, I cannot imagine alienating half my fan base by restricting my music being played by them. To me it would be flattering, not something to have a fit about.
    Maybe I am just wired differently.
    `

"Conservatives believe in change, just not while they are alive!!!"

Stuck on the Border

Writer, Thomas Sullivan, contacted the Eagles because he wanted to quote from Desperado in a book. He was given permission with no cost on the condition that he got the quote right. This lead to a friendship with Glenn Frey.

It's about respect and asking permission and not using the songs to promote something that Henley or Frey wouldn't support. In the Bill Maher case, it probably has little to do with being Democrats and everything to do with concern for the environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    Come on now, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Frankly, I disagree with you on several fronts. Though I am not a musician or artist, I'd appreciate anyone (regardless of their politics) who in turn appreciated my work.
    Really? So if Hitler wanted to use your song you would be pleased? Extreme example but same idea. The vast majority of artists do not want their work associated with politicians from the right. We have seen that happen many times where people like U2, Neil Young etc...have said "Dont play my songs at your rally". They probably feel dirty when a bigot enjoys their work.

Banned

Generalising, I believe right wing politicians tend to cut support for the arts which unsurprisingly leads to artists cutting their support for right wing politicians.

As they should because those guys you mentioned are biggoted pigs....why do you think the musicians you cherish would want top be associated with those clowns? There is also a reason why most artists that we all have loved for years are "lefties". Artists are usually more open minded...accepting of others, of new ideas etc etc etc...something "conservatives" (its right in the name!) are not. Thats why you have to search real hard for a musician that wants to be associated in any way with the current moron in the White House.
    Agreed.

Stuck on the Border

Ditto here too.
    I can't wait for Christi to leave office. He has left our State in such a mess. Nothing but a publicity seeking bully.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Outlawman - Amen to that. I could not agree more.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Agreed.
    You two could be of the liberal persuasion or even just moderates Democrats to where you would not support conservatives/Republicans. That is certainly the way a lot of people feel, despite the Republicans running all of the national government, and most of the state governments.

However to applaud or agree with Outlawmans caustic diatribe and sweeping generalizations demonizing conservatives as _____ist, ______phobes, etc., is surprising.
    Not because I know any of you, but most people do not attach their support to the more fringe hardcore people, even in their own party.

One thing I like about Bill Maher is that he is willing to call out people of his own ideology, rather than be a lock step mindless automaton like some of the drones are.
    `

Really? So if Hitler wanted to use your song you would be pleased? Extreme example but same idea. The vast majority of artists do not want their work associated with politicians from the right. We have seen that happen many times where people like U2, Neil Young etc...have said "Dont play my songs at your rally". They probably feel dirty when a bigot enjoys their work.
    You sound like you really think conservatives are akin to Hitler with your previous post. So qualifying it now saying it is an extreme example to use Hitler in your question to me hardly masks your thought process.

However, let me try to answer your question without using mass murders in the example. I didn't care for Obama in any way shape or form. However I called out people saying he was like Hitler, as it was just as absurd as those calling Bush (or now Trump) Hitler.
    So yes, if I were an artist and Obama wanted to play my music from time to time, I would not demand he stop playing it.
    If he wanted to play it as his campaign theme, I'd allow it so long as I was adequately compensated for the going rate for such things.
    Either way, I'd find it flattering, and I'd be able to appreciate that half my fans might not be of the same ideological/political persuasion as myself.

I'd also bet Henley nor any of the Eagles would give back all the money from their moderate and conservative fans, based on principle.

As to U2, maybe you have not heard, but Bono has had a change of heart from when he use to rail against capitalism and corporations. Here is but one article on the subject;

https://www.cato.org/blog/bono-only-...an-end-poverty

Here is a little clip of him being surprised at himself;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjKyEGDlXA

`
    `