Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

"Best of My Love" has wondrous harmony singing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vector View Post
    They are all great, but the TITTL has some much in it.

For starters, it is the best version I've heard of the song, including the studio version.
    Meisner delivers a perfect performance.

With Felder, he has several smiles/expressions, but at the end after Meisner thanks the crowd, he looks over at Meisner with a big smile on his face and Felder gives him the fingers indicating V for victory. Then Meisner humbly bows his head and returns the kind gesture.
    Of course the pleasure Meisner has on his face after hitting those notes, and as he thanks the audience for their appreciative energy.
    `
    I wrote this in another thread but I believe what Don F is doing is waving to the lighting guy to put the spotlight on Randy. Randy lightheartedly wags his finger at Don, b/c Don knows Randy doesn't like the spotlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    I don't want to be cynical but I wonder how much fixing there was, if any.
    Probably some enhancement was done, is my guess.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I love this concert so much, and like others have said, I want the WHOLE thing! The harmonies and overall fun everyone seems to be having, smiling and moving to the music is what makes it so enjoyable to me. Everyone was so darn good!
    I will say when I watch it after it has been awhile, it always strikes me how young they all look! I was the age of the kids in the audience at the time-- it makes me nostalgic. Now that we have lost Glenn, others have had health issues, and all are around 70; the show tears me up sometimes, too.
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Question Re: Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

I don't want to be cynical but I wonder how much fixing there was, if any.
    I am not sure I follow you.
    Are you suggesting the vocals were dubbed, or that over-tracks were laid in for the purpose of the filming they were doing?

I'd be surprised because I've seen a few performances live myself, and marveled at how in sync everyone was, and how their live performances were so tight.
    People can fault Frey/Henley for some legitimate stuff, but their insistence on everyone giving the best performance possible is what helped make them so popular in concert.

The last time I saw them live was during the HFO tour, and they played the music from several of their individual hits as if they had played them their entire careers.
    Undoubtedly, a lot a practice went into those performances before they went on tour, Sitting in an open air arena, there was no way they were lip syncing or dubbing in music. Also back then, the tech like autotune was not even invented yet.

So please stipulate what you mean by your comment.
    `

Question Re: Favoruite moments from the Capital Centre DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I wrote this in another thread but I believe what Don F is doing is waving to the lighting guy to put the spotlight on Randy. Randy lightheartedly wags his finger at Don, b/c Don knows Randy doesn't like the spotlight.

Probably some enhancement was done, is my guess.
    Actually I got that take on the V for victory sign from another video that had 5+ million views (since taken down) and the uploader of the song said Felder was giving Meisner the victory sign. Others in the comments said the same thing.
    So while you could be right, why would Felder do that after Meisner's signature song was done, and they were getting ready for the next one?
    `

Are you suggesting the vocals were dubbed
    Yes, possibly to fix bad notes here and there. Watch Houston and Seattle from the year before. Szymczyk said only 75% of the Live was actually "live."

Actually I got that take on the V for victory sign from another video that had 5+ million views (since taken down) and the uploader of the song said Felder was giving Meisner the victory sign. Others in the comments said the same thing.
    So while you could be right, why would Felder do that after Meisner's signature song was done, and they were getting ready for the next one?
    People who upload videos are fans just like the rest of us; generally, they don't have any specialized insider knowledge. I've seen videos uploaded with wrong song titles and pictures. As far as the commenters, some of the most preposterous statements I've ever read have been in the YT comments section. Anyway, this is just my take on what is happening between Don and Randy. I don't see either one holding up a "V"; others may disagree.

I'm not sure why it's so surprising the spotlight would be on a singer who just gave an incredible performance with the audience still giving thunderous applause (which may not be obvious due to editing the sound but based on accounts of other concerts, was a pretty standard reaction).

Quote Originally Posted by FreyFollower View Post
    I love this concert so much, and like others have said, I want the WHOLE thing! The harmonies and overall fun everyone seems to be having, smiling and moving to the music is what makes it so enjoyable to me. Everyone was so darn good!
    I will say when I watch it after it has been awhile, it always strikes me how young they all look! I was the age of the kids in the audience at the time-- it makes me nostalgic. Now that we have lost Glenn, others have had health issues, and all are around 70; the show tears me up sometimes, too.
    Hi FF,

I know what you mean, I had the same feeling bittersweet to be sure.

Yes, possibly to fix bad notes here and there. Watch Houston and Seattle from the year before. Szymczyk said only 75% of the Live was actually "live."
    I don't know about vocal overdubs. The band knew the D.C. concert was going to be video recorded for a documentary so they probably were especially mindful of performing well, more so than at the Houston or Seattle concerts (hence, the nice shirts worn by Randy and Don H). Plus, they got two shots by filming two different nights. Since the documentary idea was abandoned afterwards, they may not have bothered with vocal overdubs but who knows.

By enhancement, I meant the sound of the music may have been tweaked using modern technology the way old albums are re-mastered for new release.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Plus, they got two shots by filming two different nights.
    Yeah, if they got two different recordings that may have been enough