Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What was the first CD you ever bought?

Default What was the first CD you ever bought?

Mention of Mark Knopfler on another thread made me think of the first CD we ever bought, which was Brothers In Arms. We lived in Hong Kong in 1986, where we bought our first CD player, and this was the first album we acquired. It has been played many many times since then and is still sounding good twenty years later.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Stuck on the Border

(Sigh) - it would have been close to one of the first I bought too. We got our first CD player in 1986 too and I bought a stack of them on one day in December including Hotel California, The Long Run, Band On The Run and Dark Side of the Moon. In fact I can tell you when I got the Brothers In Arms CD - on January 8, 1987 - nearly 20 years ago! And I got Making Movies on July 7! I'm sure you will sleep easier knowing all that!

Stuck on the Border

I remember going out and picking up one for me (Cheap Trick at Budokan) and one for hubby (AC/DC Back in Black). I think they were about the first that we owned.
    [

I got my first CD player for Christmas in 1989. At the time, I thought I'd only buy CDs for classical music, as I already had lots of rock tapes and I thought the improved sound quality would be awesome for symphonic music. (I also thought it would be ridiculous to replace ALL my tapes with CDs at the time. Ha!) With this idea, my first CD purchase was a 5-disc Mozart anthology.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

Wow, you all know about your first bought CD? Very impressive. I have no idea which CD I bought first.

I suppose for some of us it was ground-breaking technology, hence such clear memories! Before Cds we had put up with hissing, scratched records and tapes that got jammed.
    Those dates must be significant, Julie, and I'm not surprised BIA was one of your first. We took a lot longer to build up our collection. One problem was that the humidity in Hong Kong damaged our LPs, however I still had back-ups of most on tapes and we made do with these.
    Completely off topic, Molly, your mention of AC/DC reminded me of a visit to a bell foundry in Loughborough, where there was a copy of AC/DC's 'Hell's Bell'!
    Other early HK purchases included Blood on The Tracks, Too Low For Zero (Elton), Street Life (Bryan Ferry), Seconds Out (Genesis), Brahm's Requiem and some Vivaldi - interesting mix! The Mozart sounds interesting, Nancy - was it his symphonies or a selection?

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

The first cd I got was Reba McEntire, Read My Mind. I was standing in line to buy tickets to the concert coming up and the local radio station was there doing drawings. I asked them if they were giving away the cd player to go with it as I had not yet bought a player. It seems a lifetime ago. lol I got The Very Best of Jackson Browne for Christmas tho. Also Bob Seger's new one and the 20th century masters Eric Clapton. Surprisingly, Seger is the only one I bought for myself...hubby did good.

It was a selection, GEF. The first "rock" CD I bought was Dirty Dancing II - I justified that as CD-worthy because it had a lot of instrumentals. Man, I was such a nerd. It wasn't until college that I finally got with the program and started replacing all my tapes with CDs. Coincidentally, Hell Freezes Over was one of the last cassette tapes I ever bought.

PLS - glad you made out so well!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I don't remember what the first CD I purchased was, but I do remember what the first CD I got was. Hubby gave me Eagles GH for Christmas on CD about a millioin years ago. If he only knew where it all would lead......
    I am not an island
    I am not alone
    I am my intentions
    Trapped here in this flesh and bone

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

OMG Z - That is too weird. My first CD was also the Eagles GH 1. Do you think that's why we're like we are? (And you are right Z - what was hubby thinking?)

Actually, this is only partly true. First of all, the only reason that I remember my first CD purchase is because the first CD player that I owned was in a new car I bought. I remember as soon as I drove the car off the lot, I headed to buy some CDs so I could test out my new CD player. I also bought Elton John's Greatest Hits and Madonna's Immaculate Collection at the same time. But I consider Eagles GH my first purchase since, of course, that was the first one to get played (some things never change).

To this day, I still buy mostly compilation and greatest hits CDs.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016