Page 282 of 301 FirstFirst ... 182232272278279280281282283284285286292 ... LastLast
Results 2,811 to 2,820 of 3010

Thread: Eagles Mentions in the Press (2006 - 2017)

Default Re: Eagles Mentions in the Press

It was sad, but great article.

We learn a little bit of what we was going on with Glenn in his final year. It sad to know what the pain Glenn was going through all these years. I guess we will never really know if it was the drugs or RA that killed him. Nobody knows. Not Cindy. Not Irving. Not anyone.

I figure Don did go to the hospital to see Glenn even if he was a coma. Just picturing Don, Sharon and Cindy at Glenn's bedside hoping and praying he will make it makes me sad, but its nice to know she had somebody there sometimes for support.
    Last edited by shunlvswx; 11-29-2016 at 01:16 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I'm sure someone was there with him most of the time. Families just do that.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

That is a great article but it is very sad too. I hate that I can easily picture what they were going through as I had a very close friend that was on life support for a month after his car accident before he died and seeing him like that was so hard and seeing what his family went through. Different situation as my friend was only 25 at the time, but it still is such a hard thing to go through and see that happen to a family member or friend.

And thanks UTW for the lyric sheets too.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    It was sad, but great article.

We learn a little bit of what we was going on with Glenn in his final year. It sad to know what the pain Glenn was going through all these years. I guess we will never really know if it was the drugs or RA that killed him. Nobody knows. Not Cindy. Not Irving. Not anyone.

I figure Don did go to the hospital to see Glenn even if he was a coma. Just picturing Don, Sharon and Cindy at Glenn's bedside hoping and praying he will make it makes me sad, but its nice to know she had somebody there sometimes for support.
    We do know. The article makes it quite clear. He died of pneumonia. His immune system was weakened because of the drugs, true, and then there was a change of medication, but the actual direct cause was pneumonia.

The ulcerative colitis is something that people have been tending to forget. He once said he was 2 & 0 in colon surgery which was a great record to have. He probably realised that he would not be so lucky the next time it reared its head. Think of certain songs about running out of time.

As for RA, my late father-in-law had it too. My husband says his fingers were like claws.

The bedside scene must have been heartbreaking, but I'm glad I know about it.
    Last edited by Freypower; 11-29-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    The lyrics manuscript for Hotel California is up for auction at Sotheby's on Dec 10th.
    http://pitchfork.com/news/70080-john...p-for-auction/

Here's a picture - I wish it was all spread out.
    http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/...87/lot.55.html

Any handwriting experts here? I think the sheet with all the rhymes for "Ice" is probably Glenn's whereas the one headed "Hotel California" is Don's. Of course, it doesn't tell us who came up with a line/phrase/word, just who wrote it down.
    DETAILS & CATALOGUING

The Eagles
    ORIGINAL AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT OF “HOTEL CALIFORNIA” [1976] - THE ESSENTIAL LYRICS AS RELEASED ON THE 1977 HOTEL CALIFORNIA ALBUM.
    14 pages of lined yellow paper (8 ½ x 11 in; 216 x 280 mm). Comprising the working version of the iconic anthem, from rudimentary images and lines, to a near final version; with numerous edits and emendations in both Henley and Frey’s hands.
    I wonder where current owner, Ed Sanders, got it from. I'm sure Henley would want it, under lock and key, if not through the shredder. I bet Walsh and especially Felder might think of bidding too. I can see rock museums breaking the bank to have it on display under their roof.

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Ed Sanders?! The same cat who was in the Fugs and wrote a book about Charles Manson? Dang.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Soooo, if 14 of us contributed $100,000.00 each that would be $1,400,000.00 and we would have a great shot at winning it. Each person would then get 1 page. Who's in?

I guess I could cash in my 401K and mortgage the house.
    Seriously I wish the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame or the Smithsonian would get it instead of a individual unless the buyer is willing to donate or loan it to a museum.

Thanks for sharing UTW! I had not heard about the auction.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I wonder how this person got the lyrics sheets?

It should definitely be in Henley's possession or like HB said, RRHoF.

I wish I could help HB, but I'd never come up with that kind of money!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Baby View Post
    Soooo, if 14 of us contributed $100,000.00 each that would be $1,400,000.00 and we would have a great shot at winning it. Each person would then get 1 page. Who's in?
    Well, I'm in, as long as it originally came from a smoke-free environment.

UTW, I agree with you about the handwriting, except for the page that references Blanche du Bois, one of the most tragic movie characters. It looks like Glenn's handwriting and resembles the "ice" page, but the prose sounds all Don Henley.

Stuck on the Border

This is a really good article about the Eagles in Florida in the 70s. It includes relatively specific detail about the writing and recording of the song, Hotel California.

It was a typical afternoon early in 1976 in Miami’s Criteria Studios. The Eagles had recorded two versions of “Hotel California” in L.A. But the first was in the wrong key and the second was in the wrong tempo, too fast.

“The actual track used was born in Miami at about 4 p.m. in Criteria’s Studio C. When we got all the sounds right, tempo right, key right, it was magic,” recalls producer Bill Szymczyk, who coached the band from “On the Border” through “Eagles Live.”

Henley, an English literature major and voracious reader, was the band’s “Vice President in Charge of Lyrics.” He and Frey were still wrestling with the words to “Hotel California” after most of the music had been recorded.

The two locked themselves in what they called the “Hollywood Room” of their rented 1934 art deco mansion at 5242 N. Bay Road in Miami Beach to try to finish the song.

“They stayed in there for three days to work on that song,” says Cindy Johnson-O’Dare, a co-founder with Jeri Jenkins of Home At Last, a company that provided room and board for rock bands. “Jeri and I brought tray upon tray of coffee and sandwiches to them.”

About 2 p.m. on the third or fourth day, Henley and Frey, (who Szymczyk dubbed “The Lone Arranger,”) came downstairs to the kitchen.

“They asked us to listen to the lyrics,” says Jenkins. “I remember the line, `She’s got the Mercedes Benz,’ spelled b-e-n-d-s. We thought that was great.”

“There was an excitement and electricity between them,” adds Johnson-O’Dare. “It was important that the words all meant something. They didn’t just write to make it rhyme.”

Ed Mashal, who served as Szymczyk’s engineer, said Henley and Frey “labored over lyrics.
    “I don’t think anybody had a sense of what that tune and that album were going to do,” says Mashal, “but I think they knew it was some of their best work.”

Guitarist Felder hatched the music to “Hotel California.” The now-classic extended guitar jam between Felder and Walsh at the end of the song also happened in Criteria’s Studio C. It was recorded a month after the rest of the song and involved about eight hours of jamming over a period of several days.

“We wanted to have individual statements turning into a double lead,” Walsh says. “We knew it was something special, but we didn’t know if it was any good or not. We had lost perspective.”
    Szymczyk recalled the session as “an eight-hour joy ride. Walsh was on my right and Felder on my left, jamming their brains out. It was like being in the middle of the gunfight at the O.K. Corral.”
    http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/...orded-i/ntJrB/