Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul McCartney

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Paul McCartney

The man is a genius and has given pleasure to millions for four decades. I was lucky enough to see him at Parramatta Stadium outside Sydney in 1982. It's hard to measure the effect his music has had on me over the years.

I have never really tried to do a Top 10 of his solo/Wings songs because most of them would be from Band On The Run (which was my favourite album for years). A representative selection would perhaps include:

1. Band On The Run (this goes without saying - one of my top 10 favourites by anybody)
    2. Jet
    3. Live And Let Die
    4. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    5. Mull Of Kintyre (I don't care what the British critics say about this song)
    6. Let Me Roll It
    7.Mrs Vandebilt
    8. Venus & Mars/Rock Show
    9. C Moon
    10. Tug Of War

This is probably too dependent on the early stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    Your tribute is fantastic MF!!! Your fandom has really shown thru on this one! Thanks!!
    Awww, thank you so much, TBF! When it comes to my favourite artists, the love just oozes from me. I can't really explain it, but I know you'll understand. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Thank you for starting this thread Mrs Frey. As big of a fan as I am, I do not pay attention to birthdays and did not know Paul's was today.

I have a brother who is three years older than I am who I idolized as a child. He was the first Beatles fan in our house and proceeded to beg for or buy every Beatles album as they came out. In 1964 I was six years old and still remember sitting in the floor in front of the TV watching The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, with my little head bopping back and forth. I have many happy childhood memories of listening to The Beatles on the stereo.

In 2002 I had the priviledge of seeing Paul live during his Back In The U.S. tour. I have to admit that it is the best concert experience I have ever had. I couldn't believe I was seeing this legend live. The only thing missing for me was that my brother was not there to enjoy it with me.

In 2005 my greatest wish was fulfilled when I took my brother for his 50th birthday to see Paul in concert. What a great feeling to experience the music togerther that we had grown up with.

I want to honor the birthday boy with some vids too! Here he is finally playing Back In the U.S.S.R. in Red Square, Moscow. What a feeling that must have been for him!
    Wow, Prettymaid, thanks so much for your contribution to this tribute. I haven't had a chance to watch the videos you posted yet, but I love every song you chose. "Back In The U.S.S.R." and "Let It Be" are part of my personal band repertoire, and "Maybe I'm Amazed", "My Love" and "Band On The Run" are among my favourite McCartney solo songs. "My Love" is probably the big favourite. It's just a fantastically beautiful ballad to his wife, Linda.

I really enjoyed reading about how your fandom started, and your concert experience with your brother. I'm so jealous that you got to see Paul in concert twice! Seeing Paul live has been my biggest dream for so many years, and sadly, I don't think I'll ever get to realise that dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    Mrs. Frey, Thanks so much for posting all those wonderful pics of Paul, and the rest of the Beatles too.
    I was a huge Paul fan in 1964,and those pics brought back such wonderful memories! I was remembering that the Beatles arrived in the US on my 12th birthday, Feb.7, 1964. I was remembering all those bubble gum Beatles cards I used to collect and trade with friends, and I still have some of them today!
    I can hardly believe that Paul is 67 years old today.
    Happy Birthday, Paul, and many many more!
    It's an absolute pleasure, Stars! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's funny - I was going through the "Singing For The Sake..." forum, trying to establish if someone had started a thread for Paul, when I came across the Beatles thread. I saw you had posted about their debut Ed Sullivan Show appearance on your birthday, and I thought about how amazing that was. How I wish I could have been around those days!

Quote Originally Posted by EagleLady View Post
    Happy Birthday Paul. What gorgeous pictures Mrs. F
    I'm glad you enjoyed my screen captures, Eaglelady. I have more coming a little later on today... I have officially declared it Paul McCartney week!

Oh - I've just noticed that I credited the YouTube videos of "My Love" and "Band On The Run" to Prettymaid and not you... sorry, my dear. Thank you for posting those!

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Wow, 67! Happy Birthday Paul!

Thanks for the tribute, Mrs F! Loved the pics and videos.
    It's a great pleasure, Brooke! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    The man is a genius and has given pleasure to millions for four decades. I was lucky enough to see him at Parramatta Stadium outside Sydney in 1982. It's hard to measure the effect his music has had on me over the years.

I have never really tried to do a Top 10 of his solo/Wings songs because most of them would be from Band On The Run (which was my favourite album for years). A representative selection would perhaps include:

1. Band On The Run (this goes without saying - one of my top 10 favourites by anybody)
    2. Jet
    3. Live And Let Die
    4. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    5. Mull Of Kintyre (I don't care what the British critics say about this song)
    6. Let Me Roll It
    7.Mrs Vandebilt
    8. Venus & Mars/Rock Show
    9. C Moon
    10. Tug Of War

This is probably too dependent on the early stuff.
    Ah, FP, I actually couldn't wait to see your contribution to this thread. I knew you would enjoy it.

I agree with you a million fold about Paul's genius. His lyrics, his melodies, his acoustic guitar abilities, his lead guitar playing, his bass playing, his piano playing, his drum playing, his VOICE... is there anything this man CANNOT do? He composes ORATORIOS, for goodness' sake! I'd never even heard of oratorios until he composed "The Liverpool Oratorio"!

And then there's his gorgeous looks that have remained after all these years, along with his wonderful sense of humour and beautiful personality.

I wouldn't attempt a top 10 of any of my favourites, as it's just too tough to choose, but I'd still rate "My Love" as my favourite ballad of Paul's. "Mrs Vanderbilt" has one of the most exciting basslines I've ever heard in a pop song, and I agree with you about "Mull Of Kintyre" - it didn't become the biggest selling single of all time in Britain in 1977 for nothing. As far as I can remember, it outsold the previous best in Britain, The Beatles' "She Loves You".

It's fantastic that you were able to see Paul in concert. How close to the stage did you sit?

Ladies and gent... - uh, ladies, I present to you: the Paul McCartney pout:

Circa 1963, being interviewed in his dressing room.

Around 1992/93/94, being interviewed for the Beatles Anthology series.

Some things thankfully never change. Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post
    I wouldn't attempt a top 10 of any of my favourites, as it's just too tough to choose
    Mrs F, you took the words right out of my mouth! I can do top ten lists for artists I like, but I've never been able to do it for my favorites. It's too tough!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Frey View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed my screen captures, Eaglelady. I have more coming a little later on today... I have officially declared it Paul McCartney week!

Oh - I've just noticed that I credited the YouTube videos of "My Love" and "Band On The Run" to Prettymaid and not you... sorry, my dear. Thank you for posting those!

Sounds like a great plan Mrs. F and no problem about the videos That man gets more beautiful every year