Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glynn Johns

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Glynn Johns

Another song they had at that time was "Kate". They recorded a version with a different producer in LA and a live version (with Glenn and Don) is a bonus track on Linda Ronstadt's Capital Years collection.

(The photographer for the Joshua Tree trip was Henry Diltz. The other non-Eagles on that trip were Gary Burden and John Barrick. Boyd Elder did the skull artwork for OOTN and GH1 and is also one of the men standing on the back of the Desperado album cover.)

Stuck on the Border

Hi UTW - Thanks, I had confused Gary Burden with Boyd Elder.

I remember there were very rough recordings that were posted here that the Eagles did either before or right after they came back from England in 1972. One of them if I remember right was "Get Back Kate". The songs were recorded with a different producer than Glyn Johns in either LA or SF. There were also at least two other songs but I can't recall them right now.

IMHO, Glyn Johns served the Eagles well in their first two albums. By the making of OTB, they had outgrown him and made the right move to Bill S.

UTW - How is Linda's Capital Years album - do you like it and would you recommend it ? I have her "Greatest Hits".

Stuck on the Border

I've just been reading the part of Glyn Johns' book where he talked about the two songs that were recorded in LA with Bill Halverson as producer. David Geffen wanted another Henley vocal but Johns said the album was done and he wasn't going to have another try at recording Nightingale. So Geffen sent the band into the studio with a Halverson but they weren't happy with that. Bernie called Johns on behalf of the band to explain what had happened and that Geffen had refused to release the album without the extra track. A furious Johns went to LA to take Geffen and the band to task but eventially agreed to have another go and they recorded the version of Nightingale that's on the album. Johns still thinks that was a mistake and it should have been left off.

Linda Ronstadt's Capitol Years collection is a bit too country for me. However, it was a cheap mp3 purchase (surprisingly much cheaper in the UK than US on Amazon) and I got my money's worth. I like that live version of Kate better than the Halverson studio recording.