The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Off-Topic Discussion Areas > Singing for the Sake of the Song

Singing for the Sake of the Song Discuss anything related to other music acts, artists, bands, etc.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:14 PM   #81
TimothyBFan
Stuck on the Border

DF--you are much to kind- you should of just said "look in the Don & Stevie thread dummy!" Anyways-WOW-once again. I wonder why the abortion-were either connected to someone else at the time? Didn't want to put the careers on hold? And how did Don "spill the beans"? Was it in an interview or something? Sorry again if already been posted. I just haven't made it thru everything on here from before I joined. I will, however, be reading the whole Don & Stevie thread very shortly. Stevie has always intrigued me but never really heard much about her other than music wise. Also just wanted to add-how does Don's wife feel because to me in seeing any videos of them performing together etc, they are always touchy feely and seem so happy together. I as a wife think that would be very difficult to handle no matter how confident I might be in our relationship. What's everyones feeling on this?
Old 07-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #82
sodascouts
Administrator

Stevie says she aborted the baby because Fleetwood Mac was at the height of their success and she couldn't take time off for a pregnancy. No one knew about the abortion until Don gave an interview in Gentleman's Quarterly in 1991. In it, he said:

"I believe to the best of my knowledge [Stevie] became pregnant by me. And she named the [unborn] kid Sara, and she had an abortion and then wrote the song of the same name to the spirit of the aborted baby. I was building my house at the time, and there's a line in the song that says ĎAnd when you build your house, call me.''

A lot of Stevie fans were up in arms about it, because they felt he had been tacky to reveal to the press something Stevie had tried to keep private, and had never mentioned.

For a while, Stevie refused to comment on the revelation, but in 1994 she told Mary Turner in a radio interview that Don had made many apologetic phone calls and that all was forgiven. They remain friends.

If it were my husband who was dancing and singing with Stevie Nicks, I think I would pretty insecure! Once a tabloid said Mrs. Henley got pissed off when Don sent Stevie the 50 silver roses for her birthday. However, tabloids are far from reliable sources. Since she obviously hasn't forbidden her husband to perform with Stevie, she must be confident enough in their marriage to allow it.

DonFan - we were all blown away when she did Sara on that night! I love her ad-lib "The wind became... crazy..." before and after "There's a heartbeat and it never really died" - I wonder if she means that her lifestyle, touring, everything was so crazy she was overwhelmed and wound up doing something she regretted?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #83
DonFan
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodaScouts
DonFan - we were all blown away when she did Sara on that night! I love her ad-lib "The wind became... crazy..." before and after "There's a heartbeat and it never really died" - I wonder if she means that her lifestyle, touring, everything was so crazy she was overwhelmed and wound up doing something she regretted?
I bet you were blown away! It was magical just watching her do it on TV--I can only imagine what it was like LIVE.

And yes, it sounded to me like she was expressing some regret.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 PM   #84
TimothyBFan
Stuck on the Border

Ok- I just read Don & Stevie--it looks like we all agree with the jealous wife thing-I can't even imagine watching that. But why did it never work out between them? It seems that they are soul mates and have been most of their lives. Did the careers just not let it happen?

Also, hate to say it, but Don did sound kinda uncaring about something so important, especially since it was his child also. I guess I must admit tho, I am having a time understanding how any one could abort a baby because "my band is doing so good right now and I can't take time off for a pregnancy". Guess that is the mother in me coming out but that statement does bother me a bit but I'm sure that when she said it she might have been downplaying it abit.

Also, sorry, I guess maybe I should be posting this stuff in the Don & Stevie topic?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #85
TimothyBFan
Stuck on the Border

By the way-Nancy- like I posted a couple times before that I wish that someone would write a credible biography about Stevie--I am electing you!! You are a wealth of info on her!! Could you do that in all your spare time and make it snappy because I really want to read about it all start to finish?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM   #86
sodascouts
Administrator

LOL! It would sure be a lot of fun to write about her life - she's so fascinating! When I get, oh, a year or so off, I'll look into it.

I'll post about why I think their relationship didn't work in the Don&Stevie topic.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #87
sodascouts
Administrator

Here's a clip from the show:

Stand Back

Still looking for Sara to pop up!

Old 07-22-2008, 07:39 PM   #88
Stephanie
Border Desperado

Sara is already two days available on YouTube!
All the video's of Stevie's SoundStage Performans are available!

I can't find the link so fast..

I'm glad I can see them at YouTube, because it will take a while before the DVD is available in The Netherlands
Stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:43 PM   #89
sodascouts
Administrator

Thanks Stephanie - I found the link here:

Sara

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #90
Brooke

Location: Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Awwww, I love that song. It nearly brings me to tears now that I know the story behind it. I don't know how she sings it. Beautiful!
Brooke is offline   Reply With Quote