The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Band Member Discussion Areas > Former Eagles > Don Felder

Don Felder Wear out your blues with Don Felder.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #21
New Kid In Town
Border Troubadour

Default Re: Celebration of Airborne

If I remember right, Don did everything himself when making the album. He even recorded it in his own studio. It could be just me but a $300,000 budget sounds like a lot of money by 1982-83 standards, especially when you consider he did not hire anyone and did not have to pay anyone.

Delilah - Good point about accepting the invitation to tour when Don. I also think it would have helped his name recognition. However, would he have wanted to take orders from Don H. ? Something tells me no. Don could be difficult to get along with an a tour may have strained their relationship.
New Kid In Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #22
Dawn
Border Troubadour

D, I have to agree with you about Felder and Henley. At the end of the day he experienced first hand what Walsh and others have said about how hard it is to be a solo artist. You have to do everything yourself. Fast forward to the present and it seems clear Felder has alot to be thankful for including learning from the mistakes he made. I do believe Felder valued the friendships, support, opportunities and challenges of being an Eagle but like he said ... it wasn't just Glenn. They'd all been ready to run from the "machine".
Old 11-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #23
Dawn
Border Troubadour

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
If I remember right, Don did everything himself when making the album. He even recorded it in his own studio. It could be just me but a $300,000 budget sounds like a lot of money by 1982-83 standards, especially when you consider he did not hire anyone and did not have to pay anyone.

Delilah - Good point about accepting the invitation to tour when Don. I also think it would have helped his name recognition. However, would he have wanted to take orders from Don H. ? Something tells me no. Don could be difficult to get along with an a tour may have strained their relationship .
You make a good point. Now I'm thinking it could have gone either way but the potential boost in name recognition can not be ignored.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #24
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

I dig Airborne.

For me, I don't listen to Road To Forever that often. I also don't listen to JW's Analog Man very often.

Airborne was a cool post-Eagles record when Felder was in a different place than he is now.

Heavy Metal is a cool, cool song. Great guitar in it and probably the song Felder's voice fits best. I also like "Bad Girls".

"Hey, I didn't make a big deal out of Hotel California. The 18 million people that bought it did." - Glenn Frey

WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:16 AM   #25
RamboIV
Out on the Border

Thank you all for this great information! Especially those links! I will be using quite a bit of this for my video. I KNEW I could count on you all!!!
RamboIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:51 PM   #26
RamboIV
Out on the Border

OK! At long last, I can finally present my video review of Don Felder's "Airborne". I would just like to thank you all again for posting what information you had about Airborne. As you will see, I incorporated quite a bit into this video. Tell me what you think of the video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKztqeSCbVU
RamboIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #27
UndertheWire
Stuck on the Border

Thanks for posting that. I didn't know there was video of Don from the tv shows he did so I'm impressed you found it.

Where I agree with you is the comment about too many bells and whistles, You referred to it as over-produced whereas I was thinking of it as poor arrangements but I think it's the same thing. Too many layers of sound and not enough "air".

The only bit I think you got wrong is when you said the album charted at #34 - if it had, it would have been seen as a success. Billboard has it peaking at #178.