Page 60 of 105 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Timothy in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Default Re: Timothy in the Press/Blogs/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Timothy has been in the Eagles for a long time, but he’s still treated as a sideman. He’s not an equal partner in the band and doesn’t have a say in anything.
    SilverMoon, maybe you and I have different ideas of what a sideman is. I always think of a side man as a backup musician, or someone like Stuart Smith. He came in and played with them on tour, and even did some writing on LROE, but was never a member of the band.

I agree that Don and Glenn are the ones who make most of the decisions, but I think that Timothy and Joe have their say as well. For example, I think that they probably all have to agree on their touring schedule. Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't they have to reschedule a couple of shows when Timothy had his throat surgery? If Timothy was just a sideman, they could have just brought someone in to play for him for those shows. If Timothy were to quit, would they replace him? Maybe, but I kind of think that as soon as one or more of them decide to leave or retire, they I think they will all hang it up (as far as the Eagles goes).

Timothy has the satisfaction of his solo projects, and he has more than enough money. If he felt slighted or fed up, he could always quit. I think he is happy with the arrangement the way it is.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Very well said, UTW, zelda, and tjh and I agree with just about everything you all said. Yeah, Tim may wish he could sing more songs in the Eagles, but he sure seems to be fairly content with the way things are, and I don't think most people view him as a sideman at all. He actually has a pretty sweet deal, IMO, and his income from this little gig has afforded him a pretty decent lifestyle. If not for it, I believe it is highly doubtful that he would have been able to finance his Expando album and tour. As some of the band members have said in the past, when you are in a band, there is give and take - you can't always have things exactly how you want them and you have to be a team player - even Don and Glenn have to make compromises at times. But, this is why all of them enjoy their solo projects - it gives them all an outlet to express themselves creatively in ways that they can't do in the Eagles.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Calling Timothy a sideman because he doesn't make the major decisions is like calling John McVie a sideman in Fleetwood Mac... and the band is freaking named after him. So yeah, I resist that definition of "sideman." The truth is that the term "sideman" has negative connotations which give a stigma to Timothy's part in the band that I don't feel is deserved. JMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMoon View Post
    Timothy only sings lead on two out of twenty songs on LROOE, which isn't enough when you consider what a great singer he is. And why does Timothy have to only sing ballads? That makes him seem a one-trick pony. He should have been allowed to sing more songs and given at least an uptempo song.
    Totally agree. He does uptempo brilliantly. Would also vote, lke MC, for Keep On Tryin in an Eagles set. And they used to play it once. You only have to listen to a few Poco songs to know he can deliver - 'Stay', for instance.

The live shows are ridiculously Joe-heavy. No offence to Joe fans but they're not even Eagles songs or even great songs.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-backlash.html

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by secret squirrel View Post
    Totally agree. He does uptempo brilliantly. Would also vote, lke MC, for Keep On Tryin in an Eagles set. And they used to play it once. You only have to listen to a few Poco songs to know he can deliver - 'Stay', for instance.

The live shows are ridiculously Joe-heavy. No offence to Joe fans but they're not even Eagles songs or even great songs.

SS
    xx
    Currently Joe is doing Pretty Maids All In A Row & In The City, both of which are Eagles songs, PMIAR is a great song in my opinion. Of his solo songs RMW is a great song & LBG is close but I know it too well so the novelty has worn off. Funk #49 is close to being 'great' but there is something about the lyrics that falls short.

Don't flame me Tim fans but I have tried to love Keep On Tryin' & I don't get it. I can see why people would like to see it performed, but I'm afraid it isn't a favourite of mine.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

No offense taken. TBS has many songs I don't love and don't care to see performed with the Eagles. I think KOT fits in nicely thematically with History of the Eagles as far as the early '70s, and it is a nice showcase for Timothy's voice. It is also features lots of nice harmonizing, which obviously also fits in. It's a spare song, not much to it, but fans seem to like it, and I enjoy watching all of those guys on Ringo Starr's tour singing backup (I think Joe is in there).

I'm not saying that that song should be on this tour, my point is it's a shame that in all of these decades they never developed a rockin' Eagles song for him to sing. Even a verse in How Long would be awesome. Didn't Randy sing a verse?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    No offense taken. TBS has many songs I don't love and don't care to see performed with the Eagles. I think KOT fits in nicely thematically with History of the Eagles as far as the early '70s, and it is a nice showcase for Timothy's voice. It is also features lots of nice harmonizing, which obviously also fits in. It's a spare song, not much to it, but fans seem to like it, and I enjoy watching all of those guys on Ringo Starr's tour singing backup (I think Joe is in there).

I'm not saying that that song should be on this tour, my point is it's a shame that in all of these decades they never developed a rockin' Eagles song for him to sing. Even a verse in How Long would be awesome. Didn't Randy sing a verse?
    He sang the last verse on the original live version. Once again this is only my opinion but I don't think Tim's voice would be right for How Long.

I would've liked to hear Tim on that as well, and even Joe - all four singing, just like in the old days (but with different players, obviously).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Currently Joe is doing Pretty Maids All In A Row & In The City, both of which are Eagles songs, PMIAR is a great song in my opinion. Of his solo songs RMW is a great song & LBG is close but I know it too well so the novelty has worn off. Funk #49 is close to being 'great' but there is something about the lyrics that falls short.

Don't flame me Tim fans but I have tried to love Keep On Tryin' & I don't get it. I can see why people would like to see it performed, but I'm afraid it isn't a favourite of mine.
    Oh sorry - I *love* Pretty Maids All in a Row, always have and it's a must for any Eagles setlist but just find RMW sort of derivative and Funk #49 almost unlistenable. I just think that the Eagles have so many better songs than these two.

SS
    xx

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I agree Timothy is underused and that's always been true for most members of the band (even Glenn and Don at times). I guess that's the downside of being in a band.
    Don Henley underused? I don’t think so!