Page 104 of 129 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1281

Thread: Remembering Glenn Frey

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Remembering Glenn Frey

No surprise here, he left everything to her just as we thought he would. Common practice. My Dad left everything to my Mom when he passed. Every relative of mine left their entire estate to their surviving spouse when they passed. Sounds like 99% of his assests were in trust.

Stuck on the Border

I find that reassuring. It's confirmation that his financial affairs were in order and as most of the assets appear to be held within a trust, there's not a lot of information available to journalists, nosey people and fortune-hunters.

It probably took this long for the estate to go through probate, considering its size. Most folks who leave a will don't have to go through probate, but I imagine with an estate/trust of this size, it would be a necessity. There's a lot of moving parts in a situation like this, and even with Cindy as sole heir and executrix, it still entails a lot of paperwork and processing. This was probably the first opportunity any media outlet had to see any part of the will, and that's because I imagine it's been tied up in probate all this time. The rest of the legal stuff is just a formality, hopefully.

Estate law is a whole other animal unto itself -- especially when you're talking about the kind of money involved in this one.

I'm a lawyer and do a lot of probate, and it is not necessarily true that most people who have a will don't need to go through probate. It depends on what's in the estate and the size of the estate. This varies by state as well. It sounds like they are just starting the probate process now and Cindy is trying to probate a copy of a will because she can't find the original. It is surprising to me that the lawyer who drafted the will wouldn't have kept the original, as is common practice, or that the original wouldn't have been kept in a safe place.

I wonder how TMZ gets this stuff...every time I read something like this about a celebrity, Dirty Laundry comes to mind. If this is all the dirt they could dig up on Glenn, he did well indeed.

Stuck on the Border

Groupie - I knew you and Mary C. are attorneys. I come from a family of attorney - they all do corp. law. The jerk who was my parents family attorney drew up his will. A copy was given to my BIL(who is an atty) and the original remained with my parents attorney. When my Mom passed(a few years after my Dad) we went to probate the will and contacted the attorney. Well, excuse my french, but the @@@@@@@ jerk had lost the will ! Thankfully, my BIL still had his copy. We had to apply to the court to have his copy deemed a legal document so the will could be probated. Once that was done we had no problem. Just wondering how common it is for someone to loose/misplace a will.

I didn't even think about Cindy losing a copy of the will! Although, it might have gone missing while cleaning one of the homes for sale, or during a move. You think you have everything in one place...

I just made the assumption it had gone through probate since the press found a copy of it. That would make sense under the public records law. First rule of journalism: Don't. Assume. DUH! Busted that one up.

But yeah, I'd have thought the attorney who prepared it would have a copy, too. As I said, estate law is a whole other animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    I didn't even think about Cindy losing a copy of the will! Although, it might have gone missing while cleaning one of the homes for sale, or during a move. You think you have everything in one place...

I just made the assumption it had gone through probate since the press found a copy of it. That would make sense under the public records law. First rule of journalism: Don't. Assume. DUH! Busted that one up.

But yeah, I'd have thought the attorney who prepared it would have a copy, too. As I said, estate law is a whole other animal.
    I have lost important documents in a move as well as misplaced them only to inadvertently stumble upon them while looking for something else. Safe deposit boxes are my new best friend.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

This is such a poignant account of what the Eagles and Glenn Frey meant to a father and son.

Everything I Know About My Dad I Learned From Glenn Frey

By Sean Hotchkiss
    January 2017

https://www.gq.com/story/everything-...rom-glenn-frey

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Beautiful and so sad, but thanks so much for sharing it!

Out on the Border

From all my dealings with wills and estates, often times the original copy of a will is kept in a safe place ie: a safety deposit box, a personal safe or often it is left with the lawyer or notary who officiated it. Copies are generally given to those important enough in the family or named in the will.

I would be willing to bet either Azoff or Greenfield have the original will. Somebody will have it and really, it's none of the media's business who has it or not.

The weird thing for me personally is - it's been over a year and it still doesn't seem real... or right. I can only equate it to Elvis' death where you honestly can't believe your heroes are gone. Not to say we elevate these people above others, but you hold them in such high regard that you don't want any tragedy to come to them. 67 was just way too young.