Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

Default Re: Celebration of "One of These Nights"!

I just truly love this album and cover. It my next favorite to the Border album.
    Getta Baby One of These Nights........All time favorite line.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    My own little ears! I shall listen closely again. It all sounds like Bernie to me. I believe you're correct that this is the only Eagles song where one member does all the vocal parts.

UPDATE: I listened on headphones this time and can still only hear Bernie's voice. Anyone else want to weigh in?
    I'm sorry, but as I said, I can clearly hear Glenn underneath the 'when your storms are high & your dreams are low' part. I don't believe for a second that no matter how much they disliked the song Don Henley & Glenn would have relinquished that much control. I think Bernie may be harmonising with himself on the verses, but in the big 'ahhhh' part they must all (except perhaps Felder) be singing. It's the Eagles. Their harmonies as a group made them what they were. They weren't going to drop it for one song.

It was you who made the claim that only one member sang all the parts. I never agreed with this claim. I said I had never heard of an instance where this could have happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post

"Bernie, why don't you stand in back with Felder?" I've always wondered how that went over . . .

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Here is what I wrote earlier in this thread ... "I also like Visions. I don't think it's a great song, and it's not one of my favorites, but I do enjoy it. I never skip it when I listen to the album". I feel almost exactly the same way about I Wish You Peace as I do Visions.

As far as the harmonies on the song, it sounds to me like some of the band members may have contributed to them. Of course, none of us here knows for sure. Since there is no conclusive evidence that I'm aware of, all we can do is listen and speculate.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

With IWYP I've always wondered, since Henley has been so vocal to disown it, why it made the cut for the album in the first place? The only two reasons I've managed so far are because Bernie needed a lead vocal, despite already having two credits on the album; and since the album was only nine songs long, whether ideas were a bit thin on the ground, and IWYP offered the perfect filler and closer.

Something just doesn't click though, Glenn and Don H. always seem very reticent to discuss their output, yet Don has been very blunt in his verdict of it. If they were as controlling as they are perceived to be, why was it ever released?

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

That's a really good point. I've sometimes thought that ATTIG was meant to be the closer. When you think about it the progression from the disillusionment of that song to Hotel California - the song and album - makes a lot more sense than it does from IWYP. I have wondered whether putting ATTIG as the final track on Greatest Hits Volume 2 was partly to make up for the fact that it wasn't closer on OOTN.

Another possible reason for the inclusion of IWYP, I would suggest, is that by this stage Don and Glenn were so keen to appease Bernie, who at that stage they probably wanted to try to keep in the band, to such an extent that they were willing to put a song they hated on the album just to make him feel wanted. This doesn't fit the 'control freaks' narrative, but then again why should it?

I find it interesting that in Heaven and Hell IIRC Don Felder says something along the lines of 'Don and Glenn hated I Wish You Peace'. It's well known that Don H in particular isn't a fan of the song, but Felder doesn't have much else to say about it as I recall. Maybe I am being too cynical but it suggests to me that Felder isn't crazy about IWYP either but that it wouldn't suit his agenda to say so.

I personally find it hard to believe that Don and Glenn did not write anything during this era beyond the five songs both their names appear on. The quality of the big three and ATTIG (HW I suspect has Henley/Frey lyrics but music by Bernie and Tom Leadon although I am guessing here) indicates that they were in a rich vein of songwriting form. I don't think it's inconceivable that strong Henley/Frey songs were lost in order to give the other band members a chance to shine, and it is possible these songs may have disappeared as they wouldn't have fitted the Hotel California concept. The lack of outtakes and unreleased songs means we may never know unless they tell us themselves. To me, this suggests that there was a desire to achieve some semblance of equality in the number of songs provided by each band member (which was lost on the next two records where Henley dominated the lead vocals and songwriting). There is a clear attempt to try and integrate Bernie's songs on the OOTN even though they don't really fit whereas there is little evidence of this happening for Randy on Hotel California where he has just the one song.

Given that we know there were at least two songs which were played live in 1973 after the release of Desperado and not used for On The Border, it shows that there must have been some reason to include IWYP specifically beyond simply having a Bernie vocal. The more I think about it, it's worth asking why Georgia Peach wasn't used - Bernie had only two vocals on OTB and OOTN combined (one per record) and it fitted Don and Glenn's desire for a harder rock sound in way that IWYP certainly doesn't.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    Another possible reason for the inclusion of IWYP, I would suggest, is that by this stage Don and Glenn were so keen to appease Bernie, who at that stage they probably wanted to try to keep in the band, to such an extent that they were willing to put a song they hated on the album just to make him feel wanted. This doesn't fit the 'control freaks' narrative, but then again why should it?
    That's in line with what I was thinking. There's an interview from September 1975 which mentions that Bernie had left a few times but had been persuaded to return. There was a fear that the band wouldn't survive a change in personel.

Bernie Leadon has said that he and his brother had written the music for Hollywood Waltz with different lyrics but Henley-Frey wrote new lyrics and named it. I wondered if they considered having Bernie sing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    TThe more I think about it, it's worth asking why Georgia Peach wasn't used - Bernie had only two vocals on OTB and OOTN combined (one per record) and it fitted Don and Glenn's desire for a harder rock sound in way that IWYP certainly doesn't.
    From what I understand, "Georgia Peach" was recorded during the Desperado sessions and may very well feature a Bernie/Randy double lead, with Randy's voice more prominent, perhaps because Bernie already had two vocals on the album.
    Last edited by Scarlet Sun; 06-17-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: relistened

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    "Bernie, why don't you stand in back with Felder?" I've always wondered how that went over . . .
    I have to say that the one where Glenn's hair takes up so much of the frame makes me think of the Almost Famous t-shirt scene.

wrt to Georgia Peach, could it have been recorded for the On the Border album, in London with Glyn Johns, rather than for Desperado? Do the lyrics fit in with the outlaw theme?

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I have to say that the one where Glenn's hair takes up so much of the frame makes me think of the Almost Famous t-shirt scene.

wrt to Georgia Peach, could it have been recorded for the On the Border album, in London with Glyn Johns, rather than for Desperado? Do the lyrics fit in with the outlaw theme?
    The lyrics don't fit with the Desperado theme. It's just that it's listed as a Desperado outtake. Maybe it was recorded before Desperado became Desperado, or right after the album was finished. I'm making these guesses because the song is distinctly listed as not being a Glyn Johns On The Border outtake.