Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: POCO

Default Re: POCO

Ok, so I just listened to a Poco song for the first time... Rose Of Cimarron - now that I know what it is (discovered it through HOTE).... And I'm in love with it. Literally have played it probably a dozen times already. Love the melody and the two vocalists. Going to learn it on guitar soon.

Any other tunes y'all think I'd like (keep in mind I like country-rock but am not a bluegrassy type)? I have "Crazy Eyes" on vinyl, bought it just because of the TBS connection but haven't listened yet. Will be my first spin on Vinyl Friday (my day to listen to records).
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

WF, another nice Poco song featured in HOTE around the 20:30 mark is Here We Go Again - Timothy in a yellow fringe suit.

One thing to know about Poco is that were best known for their live shows, I guess sort of like the Grateful Dead or Phish. They had a very enthusiastic following and played a lot in the NYC, Philly, NJ area and I think they jammed quite a bit. I have not dived into all of the songs that Timothy sings on/wrote.

A Good Feeling to Know is another of his Poco songs.

Just listened to "Here We Go Again". Starting to like this band....lol And it's on the Crazy Eyes LP!

I went to the record store today and looked for the Rose of Cimarron album and couldn't find it.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Just saw where Jim Messina was a member of Poco - who I'm familiar with from Loggins and Messina (Danny's Song one of my faves). Seems like Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, CSN(Y), Flying Burrito Brothers, Dillard and Clark, Poco, etc shared a lot of members in common.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Yes you are correct on the connection Austin. I saw Poco about 30 years ago. They were the opening act for the band Marshall Tucker. They blew that band out of the water. Timmie's singing was superb to say the least. The song that his voice comes through so beautifully on is Keep On Tryin. Listen to it you'll see what I mean. Happy Listening. Hey if you are interested I can give you a lot of other bands you could check out from the 70's. I was and maybe still am a music aficionado. I think I have a great ear for good music. My opinion...

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Yes you are correct on the connection Austin. I saw Poco about 30 years ago. They were the opening act for the band Marshall Tucker. They blew that band out of the water. Timmie's singing was superb to say the least. The song that his voice comes through so beautifully on is Keep On Tryin. Listen to it you'll see what I mean. Happy Listening. Hey if you are interested I can give you a lot of other bands you could check out from the 70's. I was and maybe still am a music aficionado. I think I have a great ear for good music. My opinion...
    Sure! Always looking to discover new stuff. I'm a bit of a classic rock snob, but still discover "new to me" great stuff all the time.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

DJ mentioned the Marshall Tucker Band above. Have you heard of them, WF? They are awesome too. I'm sure you've heard parts of Can't You See from beer ads on tv. Beautiful song! And they have some great others too!

Sorry, went off track there!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    DJ mentioned the Marshall Tucker Band above. Have you heard of them, WF? They are awesome too. I'm sure you've heard parts of Can't You See from beer ads on tv. Beautiful song! And they have some great others too!

Sorry, went off track there!
    Yep - we do "Can't You See" in our band. I sing on the main choruses with a higher voice and another guy sings the verses and the low part on the choruses. I play lead guitar on it as well - fun tune.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Ok, so I just listened to a Poco song for the first time... Rose Of Cimarron - now that I know what it is (discovered it through HOTE).... And I'm in love with it. Literally have played it probably a dozen times already. Love the melody and the two vocalists. Going to learn it on guitar soon.

Any other tunes y'all think I'd like (keep in mind I like country-rock but am not a bluegrassy type)? I have "Crazy Eyes" on vinyl, bought it just because of the TBS connection but haven't listened yet. Will be my first spin on Vinyl Friday (my day to listen to records).
    I only rediscovered Poco via TBS and had only ever heard Rose of Cimarron - it's so much fun listening to Poco. I recommend the songs in my blogs on Poco (I've listed some) but if you don’t have time to read them, suggest Just for Me and You, Keep On Tryin, Bitter Blue, Spellbound and Crazy Love.

SS
    xx

http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...called-it.html

http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...ing-there.html

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Yep - we do "Can't You See" in our band. I sing on the main choruses with a higher voice and another guy sings the verses and the low part on the choruses. I play lead guitar on it as well - fun tune.

Excellent Austin! When I saw Marshall Tucker it was kinda of boring because they refused to sing any of their old stuff, very disappointing.

Check out these bands,if you haven't already, Head East, Pure Praire League, Ozark Mountain Dardevils, Charlie Daniel's Band, Chuck Wagon and the Wheels, these are all country/rock/swing bands some sound similar to Marshall Tucker,Poco and the like.....I'm sure you're very familiar with a lot of bands.