Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: The last great Frey and Henley co-write

Well - I'm going to also go with What Do I Do With My Heart.

I don't think that Don and Glenn stopped writing great songs after the Hotel California album. Even though not many of the post-Hotel California became hits, I don't believe that means they weren't great songs. For the record, I consider the following to be 'great' songs ...

The Long Run
    King of Hollywood
    Get Over It
    What Do I Do With My Heart

Of course they had quite a few other songs that I would also consider great, but they had additional co-writers.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Get Over It.

I did not like LROOE at all. I still don't. It isn't even in my iTunes library anymore.

I thought Get Over It should have been on a studio album and been played more live after the HFO tour was over. It's one of my favorite Eagles songs. Wish there was a studio version of it and I wish there was more live footage of it too.
    the Hell Freezes over album version of Get Over It is a studio version.
    All 4 of the new songs are studio versions. The only live songs were the "classic" songs.

Border Desperado

As far as the last great co-write, I'd have to say The Last Resort or Get Over It.
    I didn't realize how mediocre the last several co-writes were.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    the Hell Freezes over album version of Get Over It is a studio version.
    All 4 of the new songs are studio versions. The only live songs were the "classic" songs.
    There was an import version of "Get Over It" as a single that had both the live and studio versions on it also.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    I'm not surprised about those statistics on Don and lead vocals. It seems he's always been most interested in singing llead vocals on the songs for which he wrote the majority of the lyrics.
    Yes, the song lead distribution got me to thinking that in addition to the “we had Don Henley” justification, maybe Don was able to argue his case for singing those leads b/c he wrote most of the lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I would probably have to say The Last Resort or The Long Run as being the best. If you put a emphasis on lyrics than it’s the last resort but I think the Long Run is an overall better song. They had some good moments since then but the word great is just a bit too strong.
    I almost went with The Long Run, even though it isn’t a favorite of mine. After all, it was a top 10 hit, a concert staple and a statement about themselves and the band. But I couldn’t see putting it up there with songs like One of These Nights or Lyin Eyes which are not just great but are original creations. At any rate, my favorite part of The Long Run is probably the bass, which is a Timothy part.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

I would say Busy Being Fabulous...it had a good title, a good story like Lyin' Eyes (although nowhere near as good a song), and good lyrics. I really love What Do I Do With My Heart, but I don't think it falls in the "great" category.

I disagree that they didn't write great songs after Hotel California...apart from BBF, I'd include The Long Run and Get Over It as great songs. Why are we not including Frey/Henley co-writes with other writers? I still count songs like New Kid in Town and Best of My Love, for example, as Frey/Henley co-writes even though they had the assistance of J.D. Souther.

Great idea for a topic, Delilah.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I would say Get Over It, too. I love it and wished they would have kept doing it in their shows.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I would say Busy Being Fabulous...it had a good title, a good story like Lyin' Eyes (although nowhere near as good a song), and good lyrics. I really love What Do I Do With My Heart, but I don't think it falls in the "great" category.

I disagree that they didn't write great songs after Hotel California...apart from BBF, I'd include The Long Run and Get Over It as great songs. Why are we not including Frey/Henley co-writes with other writers? I still count songs like New Kid in Town and Best of My Love, for example, as Frey/Henley co-writes even though they had the assistance of J.D. Souther.

Great idea for a topic, Delilah.
    Thanks, Groupie.

The topic is meant to focus on just the Henley/Frey songwriting partnership. When other songwriters are involved, it’s harder to know just who contributed how much, esp. when the song was initiated by the other songwriter. For example, it’s pretty well-known Jackson Browne began and wrote most of Take It Easy but what about James Dean, a song also begun by Jackson? How much of it did he end up writing? JD Souther began New Kid in Town, Felder began HC, etc. When there’s 4 songwriters, it gets a bit crowded...the partnership gets diluted.

However these Henley/Frey collaborations could be a thread topic as well.

Doolin-Dalton (w/ Souther, Browne)
    Out of Control (w/ Tom Nixon)
    Certain Kind of Fool (w/ Meisner)
    Saturday Night (w/ Meisner, Leadon)
    DD/Desperado reprise (w/ Souther, Browne)
    On the Border (w/ Leadon)
    James Dean (w/ Browne, Souther)
    Best of My Love (w/ Souther)
    Hollywood Waltz (w/ B Leadon, T Leadon)
    Take It to the Limit (w/ Meisner)
    Hotel California (w/ Felder)
    New Kid in Town (w/ Souther)
    Life in the Fast Lane (w/ Walsh)
    Victim of Love (w/ Felder, Souther)
    I Can’t Tell You Why (w/ Schmit)
    Disco Strangler (w/ Felder)
    Heartache Tonight (w/ Seger, Souther)
    Those Shoes (w/ Felder)
    Teenage Jail (w/ Souther)
    Sad Cafe (w/ Walsh, Souther)
    Long Road Out of Eden (w/ Schmit)
    Center of the Universe (w/ Smith)

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Desperado

What I gather from this thread, and the most recent list is that while Henley and Frey were a great songwriting team, they really shined, and did their best work when they were part of a bigger group of writers, even if just one more writer. Look at the hits in the list above..wow.

Also I know that the songwriting credits are listed in order of most to least contribution.

For instance "I Can't Tell You Why" is listed with Tim first, because as best I remember the stories, he came to the studio with that song basically done.

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    What I gather from this thread, and the most recent list is that while Henley and Frey were a great songwriting team, they really shined, and did their best work when they were part of a bigger group of writers, even if just one more writer. Look at the hits in the list above..wow.

Also I know that the songwriting credits are listed in order of most to least contribution.

For instance "I Can't Tell You Why" is listed with Tim first, because as best I remember the stories, he came to the studio with that song basically done.
    Most, if not all, of the Henley/Frey songs were listed this way no matter who had the larger contribution.