Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

I kinda liked Wilson's approach. It sounded like she believed in what she said (like she actually likes the band!) and wasn't there just to show off ("Hey, look who's up here talking to you very, very important people.") Having said that, usually I don't care to hear or read a lecture about what a band/artist or a song of theirs means to other stars.

Well the "human beings" stuff was definitly different but I enjoyed her induction speech very much thanks NMB for the link.
    Last edited by Dawn; 04-24-2018 at 05:28 PM.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Banned

Cool Re: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

All these awards shows - rock, country, or hip-hop - basically suck. Many musicians don't give a rat's ass about these awards. And who wants to hang out in Cleveland, even if only for a couple days?

(Apologies to all the Ohioans on this board; it's just that I've been there one or two times too many.)

And then, there's this whole "brothers" thing. Mark Knopfler doesn't talk to his brother. Those two guys from Oasis don't talk to each other; neither did John and Tom Fogerty. Dave and Phil Alvin didn't talk for years. Ann and Nancy Wilson are on the outs, and Ray Davies doesn't even think he HAS a brother.

Even The Everly Brothers had a bitter parting of the ways. And the Righteous Brothers didn't even have the same last names!

OK, well, scratch the last pair.

As an only child, I find the whole concept of siblings to be extremely bizarre. But I think that, if you're gonna be in a group with a sibling, part of the management or recording contract should stipulate that you HAVE to get along with your family member for life, whether you like it or not…

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by peneumbra View Post
    All these awards shows - rock, country, or hip-hop - basically suck. Many musicians don't give a rat's ass about these awards. And who wants to hang out in Cleveland, even if only for a couple days?

(Apologies to all the Ohioans on this board; it's just that I've been there one or two times too many.)

And then, there's this whole "brothers" thing. Mark Knopfler doesn't talk to his brother. Those two guys from Oasis don't talk to each other; neither did John and Tom Fogerty. Dave and Phil Alvin didn't talk for years. Ann and Nancy Wilson are on the outs, and Ray Davies doesn't even think he HAS a brother.

Even The Everly Brothers had a bitter parting of the ways. And the Righteous Brothers didn't even have the same last names!

OK, well, scratch the last pair.

As an only child, I find the whole concept of siblings to be extremely bizarre. But I think that, if you're gonna be in a group with a sibling, part of the management or recording contract should stipulate that you HAVE to get along with your family member for life, whether you like it or not…
    I know you are taking the piss, and I say that because I am also an only child.

I wasn't asking for Mark & David Knopfler to suddenly forget their differences. David said he wouldn't attend because the HoF wouldn't pay his way. What I wanted was for Mark Knopfler to have been there & accept the honour, whether it 'sucks' or not. As a Dire Straits fanatic, I have been waiting a very long time for it to happen. So it was a bit hard to just brush it off. I'm a fan, not an 'insider'.

Banned

Cool Re: 2018 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Yeah, I was being awful hard on that whole family thing. We'll never really understand the dynamics of those kind of relationships.

I wish someone would figure out how to produce an wards show that wasn't all about how it would look to a television audience...

They will be showing the show this Saturday on HBO. I will get to watch it this year since I have HBO now. Last year, I got HBO after it aired. Plus I already seen a few online and since Steve didn't play with Journey, I didn't watch it since I saw their speeches online.

Its going to be interesting how they will edit Bon Jovi's speeches since the special is usually about 3 hours and I think I heard it went on for 5 hours.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

I read that Nina Simone’s brother also gave an overly long speech that took time away from the other inductees.

This is an article ranking the inductees and discussing the HoF in general. The writer apparently spoke to some of the principals including Jann Wenner.

This was what was said about the Dire Straits induction (btw, ranked #127):
    In the HBO broadcast of the inductions this year, scheduled for Saturday, May 5, watch carefully how Dire Straits are handled. For apparently the first time, the hall didn’t have anyone to induct the band, and bassist John Illsley came up to do it himself. Mark Knopfler and his brother David were nowhere to be seen. I could hear Wenner audibly shrug when I asked him about it. “A couple of the members didn’t get along with each other and didn’t want to appear with each other. Which has happened before.” Why was there no one to induct them? “There was someone ready to induct them, but very few people of note would want to induct without Mark Knopfler present.” The result was embarrassing.
    “All 214 Artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Ranked From Best to Worst” by
    Bill Wyman, vulture.com, May 2, 2018

Incidentally, the Eagles are ranked #132. They get the usual hipster diss.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

It's very harsh. "Frey, who died in 2016, seemed to have no soul; and Henley, let’s face it, is a screechy hypocrite."

Reminds me why I hate Rolling Stone. And how dare they have a writer called Bill Wyman: make him change his name.

Stuck on the Border

Yes, I did read that whoever was going to induct Dire Straits pulled out when MK decided not to show. Alternative arrangements should have been made.

His other comments about Dire Straits aren't bad, given that for the most part he appears to think that virtually nobody belongs in the Hall. As for the Eagles, what he said has some substance to it except that he doesn't seem to know that they broke up for 14 years. He is ignorant about Genesis & putting Queen next to last blew any vestige of credibility he may have had.

But NMB, that article was not written for Rolling Stone. It's writen for vulture.com. You only have to look at his comments about Wenner at the end.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-03-2018 at 07:52 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I just wanted to remind everyone the show is on HBO tonight.