Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Celebration of Selected Works: 1972-1999.

Default Re: Celebration of Selected Works: 1972-1999.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I don’t care it for either but Felder thought that was their performance of the night! I don’t get how he thinks that lol
    He was talking about how they actually performed on stage, not about the touched up recorded versions that ended up on Selected Works. He said Glenn worked on these for months after the concerts.

I can understand them trying something different and new for a special concert, but yeah, that version of BOML is cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    It's not JUST that Capital Center is overdubbed. It is that, the whole affair was faked. The croud is most probably from another concert and they faked the whole thing to get some "live" footage for that 1977 documentary they cancelled. I need to ask my friends for some concrete proof. Or they'll make another thread for this later.
    That’s a pretty scandalous allegation. While a number of bands have been known to manipulate “live” recordings or video, I think faking the whole thing seems a real stretch.

1. The dvd uses footage from 2 different nights at the Capital Centre; maybe this is why your friends are thinking the crowd is from another concert.

2. The concert was filmed by a very well-known and widely respected cinematographer named Haskell Wexler who has won Academy Awards for his work. I wonder why he would risk his reputation and credibility by being party to something that seems so unnecessary—using a crowd from another concert to create something fake. And the Eagles paying big bucks for it.

3. The band was intending to use the Capital Centre concert for a documentary that was pretty much done and ready for release. Wouldn’t the band be concerned that some of those 18,000 or so attendees might figure out something was up and call foul if it was all faked?

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post

3. The band was intending to use the Capital Centre concert for a documentary that was pretty much done and ready for release. Wouldn’t the band be concerned that some of those 18,000 or so attendees might figure out something was up and call foul if it was all faked?
    I know this is getting pretty far off the original topic, but does anyone know why the 1977 documentary was scrapped, and if they did actually finish it?
    I'd love to see that released at some point in the future, although I suspect that what we got in HOTE is all we'll ever get of it (which seemed to be a pretty good amount, especially in the first little bit of HOTE)

Stuck on the Border

He was talking about how they actually performed on stage, not about the touched up recorded versions that ended up on Selected Works. He said Glenn worked on these for months after the concerts.

I can understand them trying something different and new for a special concert, but yeah, that version of BOML is cheesy.

That’s a pretty scandalous allegation. While a number of bands have been known to manipulate “live” recordings or video, I think faking the whole thing seems a real stretch.

1. The dvd uses footage from 2 different nights at the Capital Centre; maybe this is why your friends are thinking the crowd is from another concert.

2. The concert was filmed by a very well-known and widely respected cinematographer named Haskell Wexler who has won Academy Awards for his work. I wonder why he would risk his reputation and credibility by being party to something that seems so unnecessary—using a crowd from another concert to create something fake. And the Eagles paying big bucks for it.

Ddelilah - I agree. I don't understand why some people think conspiracy theory. If you go on you tube for those songs, you will see people will comment they were at that concert and mention about it being filmed. Like you said, it was filmed over two days.

BB - I don't know why the movie was never released. There was also a book written by Ed Sanders that was never published. Supposedly Don H. as the book.

Border Desperado

Does anyone else think that when Don Henley passes away, however long from now that is, that we will get deluged with Eagles stuff that was never allowed to seethe light of day, such as the documentary, the book mentioned, concerts, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Does anyone else think that when Don Henley passes away, however long from now that is, that we will get deluged with Eagles stuff that was never allowed to seethe light of day, such as the documentary, the book mentioned, concerts, etc.?
    I’m thinking it will happen to an extent online but not from him or the band

Okay, I kinda take my statement back. Thinking about it, it does indeed seems to be much of a stretch. I actually asked my friends evidence, but doesn't seem convincing enough. But either way, there's too much shady stuff in the recordings for me to like it. Same with the Millenium Concert. Good listens, but shady. The Hotel most probably being from Las Vegas is really shady to me. Gotta listen to the Las Vegas version and compare it with the official release. Eerily similar. BTW, New Kid, I posted a link to the Las Vegas concert. Have a good listen and hope you enjoy!

Now I'll tell my opinions on the box set. I do like the interesting categorisation of the songs, some of the early days, others fast songs etc. The Long Run bloopers are interesting, though I feel The Last Resort's placing is a bit off. It should be with the ballads for me.

Also, about the live releases itself, BOML sucks! It really sounds cheesy with the sax. I feel, acoustic is best. Only other instruments I'd add are drums and piano. Nothing else. Victim of Love is pretty cool, PEF is not too bad, but sax is not my fave here again. I do like Felder and Walsh in this song though. TITTL is a dud for me. Randy is only rightful for this song. I miss the high notes! Ol'55 is not too bad, but their 70's recordings are the best. Those Shoes is great! Scott Crago's drumming is better than Henley's for me! Funk #49 is decent too. I didn't listen to Dirty Laundry, Funky New Year or Please Come Home for Christmas yet. All She Wants to do is Dance is a huge miss for me, because I just do not like it. I feel Eagles members are not really useful for this one. I feel it is good for Henley's solo shows.

But I'll never really like the release as much as I want to, because of the fact that they were most probably overdubbed and/or taken from more than one concert, in spite of it claiming to be from Staples Center.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I really want more live releases! I want MORE!!!!! There are quite a few recordings still with them. I estimate that there are 20 concerts from the 70's and hundreds from the 90's (they recorded everything from 1994). And probably many soundboards. I wonder if they stashed those interesting concerts from the HC and TLR tours. They had very unique setlists sometimes.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    I really want more live releases! I want MORE!!!!! There are quite a few recordings still with them. I estimate that there are 20 concerts from the 70's and hundreds from the 90's (they recorded everything from 1994). And probably many soundboards. I wonder if they stashed those interesting concerts from the HC and TLR tours. They had very unique setlists sometimes.
    I'll agree with that, cosec, more live releases would be great! After Henley passes, though, (which will hopefully be many, many years from now), who would control the music then I wonder?

I disagree that Eagles members were not useful for All She Wants to Do is Dance...have you seen their performance of it from the Melbourne concert? Glenn's dancing is the best part of the whole concert!

Border Desperado

I think a nice DVD package would be splendid.
    A concert from the Hotel California tour, one from the Long Run, HFO and HOTE.4 DVD set. I'd pay 100.00 for that everyday of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I'll agree with that, cosec, more live releases would be great! After Henley passes, though, (which will hopefully be many, many years from now), who would control the music then I wonder?

I disagree that Eagles members were not useful for All She Wants to Do is Dance...have you seen their performance of it from the Melbourne concert? Glenn's dancing is the best part of the whole concert!
    Totally love that scene lol