Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Music/Song Suggestions

Default Re: Music/Song Suggestions

Badkitty Bob Welch is a gem. I lived on his albums in High School.
    I also lived on Montrose, JD Souther, Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark. And for a little bit of country swing Chuck Wagon and the Wheels. My piano player friend turned me on to the Keene Brothers. I have a lot of musician friends so I love all music. Floyd, Zepplin, Deep Purple, Sammy Hagar and sooo many more. I'll have to think on it a bit. Oh and good old fashion Bluegrass Doc Watson.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Just thought I'd bump this thread because I was thinking about my music today. From next to nothing I've built up a reasonably decent collection on CDs and MP3 files, mostly of classic rock music from about the mid-1960s to the early 1990s. As you probably know I've found quite a few big, big favourites - Eagles, Pink Floyd, Led Zepp, Neil Young and more.

Unfortunately, 2016 has been a bit of a 'dry' year for me in terms of discovering music that I love. With the exception of Bad Company and their debut album, I've not really found anything much that I really liked that wasn't by an artist I was already a fan of. I keep going back to my faves and as much as I love them, I'd really like to broaden my horizons a bit more. So I was wondering if any of you have any music that you think I might really like and would recommend I give a listen?

I'll give a few pointers as to how I'm feeling right now in case this helps:

- I really want to expand my music collection 'out' rather than 'up' (i.e. add some more artists), so I'm not worried about further exploring the solo works of bands I already like right now. I've already got a few of them and I feel these can wait for the time being.

- There's probably enough threads in this section where I've talked about my music taste to give a flavour of what I already love. I don't think there's any one sub genre that I love more than any other. In fact, I'd probably rather listen to something different from what I already love (albeit probably still in the rock world) than a 'lite' version of a favourite band.

- If I'm being honest, I wouldn't find it helpful to be recommended anything by The Beatles (I hear their songs very often - there are some I like but if I was a big fan I'd have known it by now), The Beach Boys (I have a decent compilation album which is enough for me) or U2 (I'm not a fan and get tired of their songs very quickly).

- I'd probably prefer to be recommended individual songs rather than albums, although I'd be happy to be pointed towards either.

I apologise if this comes across as 'needy' or anything like that, I just really want to explore some really good music and I thought I'd be better off asking my friends on The Border for recommendations rather than reading through yet another predictable critics' list or listening to classic rock stations on internet radio (where there's a good chance of one of my existing favourites coming up, which always ends up distracting me!).

Last of all I'd like to say thanks, I'd love nothing more than discovering some great stuff that is new to me!

(Also, if this is more appropriate somewhere else, I don't mind if it gets moved).

Border Troubadour

If you're after something comparable to early Eagles and Poco, I'd recommend Pure Prairie League or The Outlaws. I'd recommend Kansas City Southern and Girl from Ohio respectively if you want a taster.

Of course, I'm more than happy to sit here all night and recommend heavy metal bands, but I'm not sure if you're into that

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Jonny, are you an appreciator of guitar? I wonder if you would like Jeff Beck's jazz fusion period. I'll post a YouTube clip of Jeff's "There and Back" album; his pyrotechnics on "Star Cycle" are astonishing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfbNve6eJOM
    Last edited by NightMistBlue; 10-10-2016 at 10:30 AM.

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

If you want a band that bridges Beatles and Pink Floyd sounds, then the Alan Parsons Project is a great one to discover(I'll be starting a thread on them sometime in the next couple of days).

Would certainly recommend acts like the Allman Brothers Band, Cream, ELP, Foghat, Grand Funk Railroad, Steely Dan, and Tom Petty if you haven't gotten into them already.

Eagles-related bands-wise, the Souther/Hillman/Furay Band might be a good one to look into. Alternative-wise, Green on Red, an REM-era band which fuses together the sounds of the Kinks and 60's Pop music, is a must.

If you're into aural soundscapes, then Focus, Harry Nilsson, Thunderclap Newman, and Traffic are good ones to check into.

I will give a recommendation to blues rockers Dave Edmunds, Rare Earth, Ten Years After, and the Yardbirds, hard rockers the Amboy Dukes, Argent, the Baker/Gurvitz Army, Golden Earring, Humble Pie/Steve Marriott, Rainbow, and Rick Derringer, as well as progressive, psychedelic rockers Jethro Tull, the Moody Blues, Mott the Hoople/Ian Hunter, Procol Harum/Robin Trower, and Uriah Heep.

Hope this helps. I'm admittedly shooting blind on this, as I'm unsure as to what you've NOT heard.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Very happy to hear Supertramp on here. They are not only one of my favorite bands, but I think they are the most overrated. No drug issues, relationship bombshells, hotel smashing - it was just about the music. Even bands that I love (Led Zeppelin for example) got most of the attention for EVERYTHING except the music. Groupies, baby sharks, drunkenness, violence, etc..

ELO is another band that stands on their own.. I also like Alan Parsons.

Pink Floyd is my favorite group - I like the 70s stuff, don't care much for the first and last couple albums, though "Endless River" had some nice stuff - the instrumental stuff. But the two albums before were brutal - they were at their best when Roger Waters was leading the band.

The Doors will always be a favorite band. But if you've heard them (or bands like Zeppelin, Who, Stones) millions of times, it's more fun to hear stuff you either haven't heard in a long time, or things from the 60s and 70s that were overlooked... "Achilles Last Stand" is definitely my favorite Zep song, I also love "Ten Years Gone".

I also loved the Fleetwood Mac lineups. I didn't care for the very beginning, 12-bar blues shuffles. But when Danny Kirwan joined the band, they did some great stuff with Peter Green at the helm. If you guys have a few minutes, check out a few Buckingham-Nicks songs (youtube) - "Long Distance Winner" and "Frozen Love".

America is a fine band, with some really great songs, some of the best harmonies.

One thing I've done in the recent past was to use other message boards, since we have people from every country, and I'd always ask for their best native stuff from the 60s and 70s - even found some South American progressive rock. I'll list a few non-English songs, all on Youtube.

Fairuz - Al Bosta
    Arco Iris - La Cancion De Nahuel
    Mediterranean Sundance - Al Di Meola
    Kebnekajse Leksands - Brudmarsch
    Karelia - Kerimaki Beat
    Erkin Yoray - Yagmur

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MortSahlFan View Post
    Even bands that I love (Led Zeppelin for example) got most of the attention for EVERYTHING except the music. Groupies, baby sharks, drunkenness, violence, etc..
    That's not their fault though, I hope you'd agree? They never promoted that image, as far as I can tell, and would have vastly preferred to be known, overall, for their music. There's an NPR interview with Jimmy from a few years ago, where (though he's unfailingly polite and a gent) you can tell he's peeved and frustrated to be asked the typical "sex, drugs and mayhem" questions.

Stuck on the Border

For something a little different, you could try Alain Stivell. He's a Breton folk musician, most famous for playing the celtic harp. There's quite a lot on youtube, so you can sample before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    That's not their fault though, I hope you'd agree? They never promoted that image, as far as I can tell, and would have vastly preferred to be known, overall, for their music. There's an NPR interview with Jimmy from a few years ago, where (though he's unfailingly polite and a gent) you can tell he's peeved and frustrated to be asked the typical "sex, drugs and mayhem" questions.
    Agree 100% - it's the fault of the media and the system in general.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Thanks for all the recommendations so far! Will try to check out as many of these as possible, I haven't got time to say much more now as it is quite late here but I'll reply in more detail when I get the chance. Cheers!