Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs that Make You Cry

Default Re: Songs that Make You Cry

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post

I've found that you like what you like and while it is good to examine the why's and wherefore's... it is cool to like what you like.
    I couldn't agree more, BB.

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by bernie's bender View Post
    I think it is fair. Nothing terrible in sharing what you feel and think.

Some folks hate the song "danny boy"... but, in the right context (oh say 2 am at Lefty's in SF after a Giant game when the bar is full of fans about to go home and the singer/pianist begins singing it... and the bar joins in... it is pretty overwhelming and not corny.

At yankee stadium after a close win, the stands are electric and Sinatra starts in with NY NY... oh man!

or at the end of Giants games when Tony Bennett wafts along the water... it is as though you might float away!

not everything moves every one. i think that is beautiful, not shameful.

I remember in my youth I had a record and when I would put it on, my best friend would come into the living room and say, "oh boy, rp, where are you heading to." I always played it when I'd had enough and was ready to leave... the song? Wichita Lineman by Glen Campbell. Tons of people think it is the corniest song of all time... for me, it is my soul....

I've found that you like what you like and while it is good to examine the why's and wherefore's... it is cool to like what you like.

BB, three strikes for you with which I could not agree more if I tried - Danny Boy for all of us with Irish ancestry, New York New York for those of us who love that city, and Wichita Lineman because it's one of the greatest songs of all time (though my favourite Glen Campbell song is Galveston, which I cannot believe I didn't include in my list).

And as you mentioned New York New York at Yankee Stadium (what a thought)! I suppose I should say that even watching on TV, You'll Never Walk Alone, when sung by the Liverpool faithful at Anfield, is one of the most mesmeric sounds of all time, and I cry at it every time I hear it.

Border Desperado

"Galveston" was really the first anti-war song on Country Radio back in the day... I did that song with a little tiny (physically, she was about 4'9") girl at a talent show in college... a couple of years after the withdrawl and you could have heard a pin drop.

She didn't win (our regular band won with an original about a specifically interesting character on campus... we called it the 'suc' song) but, I may still have a recording of it... I have a recording of another guy I backed... it was (at the time) a really great song... I can still sing it (even with some pretty awkward lyrics) so, it must have made an impression... the same girl used to sing "Silver Dagger" and "Circle Game" and just kill me, I couldn't speak when she was done... Andy was a cutie!
    I hope your daughter never has to find out how funny rape is. -Sodascouts

I thought of another song that makes me cry, "Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce. I had just seen Jim in concert about a month before his tragic plane crash. Every time I hear that song I think about how much I enjoyed that concert, and what a terrible loss that was. His beautiful songs will live on forever...

Border Desperado

Stars,

Have you heard "Stars" by Dan Fogelberg... that one and "Be on your way" by him just kill me! To the Morning is usually the one people go with or the dreaded "old lang syne" but the first two are ones to make your heart swell...

as they say in the old Tom Waits song "emotional weather report"... 'rain is expected.'

Stars, it sounds to me as if you got to see the exact same people in concert that I would have liked to - first John Denver, now Jim Croce.
    You lucky girl!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

BB, I have not heard "Stars" and "Be on your way" by Dan Fogelberg-I'll have to check them out! Thank you. I have heard "Longer", and that is another one that makes me cry. That song just cropped up the other day in a movie I was watching, "About Schmidt".
    PM, I feel so blessed to have seen both John Denver and Jim Croce in concert. They were both so wonderful, and I still enjoy their music so much. There is an Eagles connection with Jim Croce-he was opening for Poco!! I remember feeling so lucky to see two wonderful performances that night. I don't recall if Timothy was with Poco that night though. This was 1973. Do any of the Tim fans know if he was still with the band in August or September 1973?

Border Desperado

Yep. Tim was in Poco in 73.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stars View Post
    There is an Eagles connection with Jim Croce-he was opening for Poco!! I remember feeling so lucky to see two wonderful performances that night. I don't recall if Timothy was with Poco that night though. This was 1973. Do any of the Tim fans know if he was still with the band in August or September 1973?
    Carla-you mean you saw that beautiful face and long mane in 1973 and didn't just go ? Because if I had seen him prior to the day I opened up the gatefold of Long Run-I know I would have!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Birds - Neil Young

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--