Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Led Zeppelin

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Little things that remind you of the Eagles

OK-I stand corrected--there are people out there that don't know much about Zeppelin! I guess I shouldn't just assume everyone knows who they are.

As far as categorizing them--I would call them just plain old Rock N Roll by today's standards. Back when they first came out they played a lot of old Rhythm and Blues. Got "heavier" later on but heavy metal today is more head banging music and I just wouldn't call Zep that. I guess back then, they were probably considered heavy metal because no one had ever really heard any one play drums like John Bonham before and Jimmy Page was something different when he was playing his guitar with a violin bow. Very experimental!

To me---they are ROCK N ROLL GODS!!! Rock as we know it now, would be non existant. JMHO (which really amounts to nothing!)
    He sings it high, he plays it low

One of my good friends back in HS was very into Led Zeppelin in the 70's, so I did know their music back then...which is why I classify them as heavy metal. That's where my impression of their music is stuck in my brain...back in the 70's. BTW, I've also heard of Bonham!

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    OK-I stand corrected--there are people out there that don't know much about Zeppelin! I guess I shouldn't just assume everyone knows who they are.

As far as categorizing them--I would call them just plain old Rock N Roll by today's standards. Back when they first came out they played a lot of old Rhythm and Blues. Got "heavier" later on but heavy metal today is more head banging music and I just wouldn't call Zep that. I guess back then, they were probably considered heavy metal because no one had ever really heard any one play drums like John Bonham before and Jimmy Page was something different when he was playing his guitar with a violin bow. Very experimental!

To me---they are ROCK N ROLL GODS!!! Rock as we know it now, would be non existant. JMHO (which really amounts to nothing!)

Hear hear.

Rock, blues, country, folk - everything. They even did a couple of nods to reggae (D'Yer Mak'Er) and funk (Trampled Underfoot).

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post

Well said, Willie. I completely agree with you here. My favorite Zeppelin song is still the very first song I ever heard by them...All Of My Love.
    ~Jess~

Stranded "on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see."

Default Led Zeppelin

Ok--I talked myself into this! Since they come up every once in awhile and we have some that LOVE them and some DON'T (you know who you are!) So I figure this will give us all a chance to state your pros and cons! Besides, it's my way of trying to convert you non believers!! It's really an evil plan!

I will start off with my all time favorite VIDEO---Not only is this a fantastic song but LOOK at these guys!! OMG!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbSugn0dB4c&feature=PlayList&p=4778E227453 865A4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=28[/ame]

And my very favorite song EVER!!!! (I know you all thought it would be an Eagles song didn't you?) Fooled you! This is the one-ever since I was a little itty bitty thing!!! LOVE IT!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svR3iXKTJvc[/ame]

And this just happens to be the song the radio is playing right now!!! What a coincidence!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYWxE-ShdXc[/ame]

Default Re: Led Zeppelin

Ooh, great idea, Willie, and nice video choices! I'm a big Led Zep fan. When I was about sixteen, I had The Song Remains The Same on a constant loop. Robert Plant drove me crazy! He doesn't quite have the Don-factor, but still...

My favourite songs are probably The Lemon Song & Since I've Been Loving You. Both very sexy, in very different ways... The whole of Led Zeppelin II kept me company while I was in South Africa. It was the only CD that would play on my hosts' old stereo, so it provided the soundtrack to an incredible year!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I would of gave almost anything to have been at the 02 arena on December 10th, 2007 to see this legend live! I can't even imagine what that was like. They were just amazing then as 35 years ago. Look a little older (poor Jimmy-completely gray!) but still got it. Goes to show some bands can reunite and still DO IT (the Eagles) and some can't (Van Halen)--Led Zeppelin DID IT!!!!

Good ol' Bluesy tune!!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELX305sD5aE&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x497E89zAI&feature=PlayList&p=998298EC1DF9270D&pla ynext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=6[/ame]

Last edited by TimothyBFan; 04-30-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Okay Willie, you asked for it! First I would like to admit into evidence my list of my top ten favorite singers, presented in the same-titled thread back in December.

Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens)
    Linda Ronstadt
    Paul McCartney
    Ann Wilson
    Jackson Browne
    John Denver
    James Taylor
    Stevie Nicks
    Don Henley
    Gordon Lightfoot

Honorable mention:

Karen Carpenter
    Jim Croce
    Norah Jones
    Darius Rucker
    Edwin McCain

Now I ask you, does this look like the list of someone who would like Zep?
    On the other hand, I do like Heart, and they have said that their sound was inspired by LZ.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

PM--What part of "convert the nonbellievers" did you not understand? But looking at your list, there might not be hope for everyone I guess! And don't get me started on the Wilson women. I present into evidence the following of them covering Zep... How can you not respect this!! Amazing!!
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDDrPlfswPo[/ame]

It's Been A Long Time, that Heart has been covering Zep.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uhfzVEc5Nw&feature=related[/ame]

See, I like the Heart versions better than the originals! Honestly, I don't like Robert Plants vocals very much.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.