Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tom Petty...

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Default Re: Tom Petty...

I've just heard his new album for the first time. I haven't yet heard it enough to form an opinion, though it seems to have a lot of good songs of different styles.

One song that I really liked immediately is You Come Through. Many artists try to do a 'R&B" song, with varying degrees of success. If Sam & Dave had recorded this song, it would be one of the R&B classics, IMHO. So catchy and danceable.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvaaTqnQN2Q[/ame]

The album then goes straight to a Country Rock song, Up In Mississippi Tonight, that could have been from an early 70s Troubador artist. I hear bits that could be Lynrd Skynrd, The Byrds, etc. Good impressions so far. Could 'Come On Down To My House' be a Stooges track if sung by Iggy?
    Last edited by Annoying Twit; 10-31-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I love most all of TP's hits, but I've never bought an album. Maybe this will be the first!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

This past week has been rough for Tom Petty. He got laryngitis on August 23rd, so he had to cancel that Berkeley show for that night. It didn't improve by the 25th, which was his Sacramento show. By the 25th, it was updated that he had both laryngitis and bronchitis. In Berkeley today (the 27th), there were protests regarding the Alt-Right and the like and counter-protests, so that was a cluster---- in the city. I wasn't there, but it was on the news. So hopefully, Tom performs tomorrow (the 28th) and the 30th in Berkeley, as announced on his Twitter. He will also perform on Sept. 1st in Sacramento. All I have to say is I hope that he's A-ok health-wise tomorrow!

I'll review his show from the 22nd as briefly as I can as a non-fan but appreciative of his songs. Ok, go:

I missed the opening act, The Shelters (I've never heard of them before, but that doesn't mean anything), because I was in the parking lot above the Hearst Greek Theatre in Berkeley, and I couldn't really see anything. I decided to buy a ticket on StubHub for $45, which was on the opposite side of the last time I saw Don Henley. I had an obstructed view of the video screens, but that's ok, since it beats waiting around the parking lot alone with undercover cops waiting to ticket open container violaters and underage students. I found out later that one of my fellow transfers ended up buying a ticket 10 minutes before TP and the Heartbreakers came on the stage, instead of watching from the parking lot.

I won't be able to comment on if he said anything unique or different from previous shows, but I'll try my best. It seemed fairly rehearsed, like the same routine over and over again, but remember, I'm not a big fan, just an appreciative one.

"Rockin' Around (With You)" was the first song, and I've never heard it before. Before he played it, he said he was 'feeling the mojo' and asked the audience if we were 'feeling the mojo.' He said that this song was the first song from their first album. I think I liked the song at the time when I heard it, since my audio recording sucks because it was in an outdoor venue. It didn't stand out though because of my lack of familiarity.

"Mary Jane's Last Dance" & "You Don't Know How It Feels" - I like these because they're fun to sing along to.

I'm just going to list the rest of the songs and do highlights (probably not tonight but I'll get around to it):

4) Forgotten Man - from his most recent album, Hypnotic Eye. This honestly reminded me of Gold Diggers of 1933 because of the ending musical number regarding WWI veterans. It's funny how it applies to today lyrically, as well as the visuals from the video screens during this song. I've never heard this song before either, but musically, it reminds me of "A Mind with a Heart of Its Own" drum-wise. I guess it's the same sort of tempo (if that's the right term for it).

5) Into the Great Wide Open - It's described and introduced as a ballad about Eddie Rebel and (something, can't hear it on the recording) by Petty. Sounds good and the crowd sings along to the chorus.

6) I Won't Back Down - This will probably be my 'theme' come midterm and finals season. I loved hearing this live, since I love Full Moon Fever.

7) Free Fallin' - Lovely as always. It was sort of extended with the cymbal solo at the end.

8- Walls - He mentions that he's going to do a request, but he emphasizes that it's his own request. I haven't heard this song before, but I liked it. I will definitely take a closer listen of the studio version in another time. It's easy to listen to, and the harmonica solo is nice. I don't know who did it though, but I'm sure a TP aficionado would know.

Brief side note: Oh my god, I just looked up the song, and Lindsey Buckingham does background vocals on this song and a couple other songs on the "She's the One" soundtrack.

I will do the other songs eventually, but I have to go to sleep. To tie the TP Borderers over, here are "highlight clips" I got of the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07C-VZCJ4E4

As a result, my audio recording is a bit messed up, but that's ok because outdoor venue recording doesn't sound that good anyways. It does sound better than Shoreline in Mountain View though.

This video only exists because Instagram compression for video and audio is awful. It made the video I took of Lindsey Buckingham and Christine McVie sound tinny and worse than it should be. That Park Theater venue in Las Vegas had wonderful sound. It was such a stark contrast from the very few outdoor venue concerts I've been to.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9) Don't Come Around Here No More
    10) It's Good to Be King
    11) Crawling Back to You
    12) Wildflowers
    13) Learning to Fly
    14) Yer So Bad
    15) I Should Have Known It
    16) Refugee
    17) Runnin' Down a Dream
    Encore:
    18- You Wreck Me
    19) American Girl

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

RCF, sounds like a great show! I haven't seen TP, but would love to!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten