Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    There's a lot more to it than number of sales.

I'm sure it's because an overwhelming number of people I worked with stopped listening to Rock stations and started listening to Pop in the 1982/83 time frame. Howard Stern had just gotten fired from DC101 (right after hundreds and hundreds of local people died when an Air Florida jet flew into the 14th street bridge, he called Air Florida and asked, on air, how much they charge for a flight from National Airport to the 14th Street Bridge. I have not and will not listen to the man since, and don't have much respect for those that do), so most stopped listening to that station for a long time, and Pop was all that was available. Miami Vice was always a huge topic of conversation, and Glenn got his share of that. I don't ever remember having a conversation with anyone about Henley, except one girlfriend. So what Glenn said about he and Henley being the ones to keep the Eagles name out there rang true for me. It was a lot more than the number of solo album sales. There's a lot more to both of them than album sales, and I don't think it's fair to Henley to reduce his contributions to sales.

Obviously, you can't have the Eagles without Glenn. If they could have gone on without him, they would have in 1980. You can't have the Eagles without Henley and no one disputes that. Others, there's a lot of back and forth and differing opinions, and while I would be horrified if Joe or Timothy left, there's also the fact that the Eagles enjoyed success before they joined. To me, this is why Glenn and Don make more, and Felder must have assumed they'd keep him on no matter how irritating he became. He was wrong. Whether they are 'less' without him can be debated, but the fact they have been successful without him cannot.

Lastly, it was made public and so discussed what the shares were when they reunited. They are very private with the information, and none of us know what the agreement may be now. To be honest, I don't feel it's any of our business. I have a lot of respect for all of them, and what they decide is fine with me as long as they all agree on it. To reduce the conversation about them to 'salaries' is somewhat insulting to all of them in my mind.
    Agreed.

There is no way that after the original decision was made to give Frey & Henley more than the others, at a later date Henley would suddenly start receiving more. Frey would not have agreed to it. But once again, reducing it to that ... what VA said.

I personally side with no one person. I will say Felder is a great guitar player but everyone is replaceable. For someone to think they aren't, well they are delusional. People change, times changes, circumstances change.
    We are fortunate to have what the Eagles were in the 70's and what they are now, still playing great music.

Banned

Despite enjoying his first album Airborne, I've always had a downer on Felder.

I prefer my Walsh neat. So I'm not enamored with Smith either.

Musically, the only contribution to a Walsh track I can enjoy is his pedal steel on Second Hand Store, everything else I could do without. He quit the music business in the 80s and he dragged the Eagles through court.
    He appears nice on screen but that doesn't count.

If you go all the way back to the 70s, Felder was hired, on equal terms to the four founder members of the band, the day after his first session with the band. They'd already been toying with Joe but he had a solo career, so they must've thought Don could do Joe's role.

A matter of months later they decide, we still need Joe, so, after many sessions, lots of live dates, co-writing a song, making a Fogelberg album and a live Walsh album, sharing producers and managers and with different terms and conditions to the other band members they hire Joe.
    Lesson Learned.

Timothy also accepted this arrangement when he was recruited. Obviously Felder was happy to go along with these, seemingly unfair and unequal recruitments.

I'm pretty sure Timothy, some time after joining the Eagles, said, when it comes to the financial side, the Eagles were the fairest and most democratic band he'd been in or words to that effect.
    Says something about Poco doesn't it.

Border Troubadour

I don't think you can compare Felder and Walsh in that way. Technically Don is superior, but for improv and 'wow' purposes Walsh is better. For example I don't think Joe could play the intrinsic guitar pieces such as Lyin' Eyes or New Kid in Town as tastefully as Felder did, but on the other hand Felder couldn't do what Joe did in things like Life's Been Good or Life in the Fast Lane. Further, Don was also quite skilled on the likes of mandolin, steel pedal and banjo; none of which I believe Joe is. It was the contrast between the precision of Felder and Joe's wackiness that made them such a great combo. I don't think hiring Walsh in 1975 was an admission of error, more just a natural progression they made.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I don't think you can compare Felder and Walsh in that way. Technically Don is superior, but for improv and 'wow' purposes Walsh is better. For example I don't think Joe could play the intrinsic guitar pieces such as Lyin' Eyes or New Kid in Town as tastefully as Felder did, but on the other hand Felder couldn't do what Joe did in things like Life's Been Good or Life in the Fast Lane. Further, Don was also quite skilled on the likes of mandolin, steel pedal and banjo; none of which I believe Joe is. It was the contrast between the precision of Felder and Joe's wackiness that made them such a great combo. I don't think hiring Walsh in 1975 was an admission of error, more just a natural progression they made.
    I've seen Joe play the NKIT parts & he did a superb job (2004). I have no idea how it compared with Felder but it was good enough for me. I clapped him after the solo at one show & he nodded at me in acknowledgment. I've never forgotten that.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I've seen Joe play the NKIT parts & he did a superb job (2004). I have no idea how it compared with Felder but it was good enough for me. I clapped him after the solo at one show & he nodded at me in acknowledgment. I've never forgotten that.
    Was this at a Party of Two show? I thought Stu normally played it.

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I tend to side with Henley/Frey because Felder seems to be genuinely unhappy. He doesn't seem to look at the bright side of things in life. And I don't personally understand why people think Henley and Frey come off as stuck up to people. I don't really see it. Honestly the first time I watched HOTE none of that stuff jumped out at me. I was just amazed and impressed by the band and especially their music so my Eagles craze began.
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Was this at a Party of Two show? I thought Stu normally played it.
    You're probably right because I just checked the Melbourne video, but Joe definitely played something during that song that caused me to applaud & him to acknowledge my applause. I could have sworn he played the solo that night.

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

Timothy also accepted this arrangement when he was recruited. Obviously Felder was happy to go along with these, seemingly unfair and unequal recruitments.

I'm pretty sure Timothy, some time after joining the Eagles, said, when it comes to the financial side, the Eagles were the fairest and most democratic band he'd been in or words to that effect.
    Says something about Poco doesn't it.
    I recall seeing an interview (please don't ask me where though where Timothy made the comment that when he joined the band, they brought him in as a full equal member. I don't know about financially, but I took it to mean that they accepted him as a member, not just a replacement for Randy. He said that he appreciated that, because it certainly didn't have to be that way.

Out on the Border

Never really thought about who I side with, knowing that I don't know the real facts. That being said, the attendance at the 8 shows I've attended lets me know that the people still love the group as they are now. I seriously doubt there would be a group at all if Don or Glen left and if there were, they wouldn't pack venues night after night.
    Also, I think Smith is great guitarist, way better than some give him credit for

jmo