Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

First of all, this has been an interesting discussion and it just shows how different we all are when it comes to our likes and dislikes. I am always amazed at the emotional impact music has on us and I appreciate how civil everyone has been in disagreeing without being disagreeable.

As for me, although I may have given the impression that I don't like this DVD, that is far from the case. I really do like it a lot, it's just not my favorite for some the reasons I stated earlier. But, hey, as part of the anti-Lebowski crowd, 'I love the f***in' Eagles, man' - even if the DVD sucked, it would still be better than most, IMHO!

My main beef is, like FP, this was a reunion of the band, so I, personally, would have preferred that the band had been showcased more instead of any one individual member. And I promise you, I would have felt exactly the same way if any of the members had been featured more than the others. This band has so many great hit songs and I would have just preferred a more equal distribution of Eagles songs to solo songs for this momentous occasion. I also have to agree with what Lacken01 said about 'unplugged' - rockers and uptempo songs can be stripped down too; it shouldn't mean you can't have variety and engage with the audience. And, as an aside, I believe HFO was produced by the MTV Unplugged team, but it technically wasn't an official 'Unplugged' production.

But, the bottom line for me is, no matter what, I still really enjoy this DVD. The songs are all wonderful, IMO. So far, the voting isn't going to my liking, but, hey, that's the way we roll in these Survivor games - ya win some, ya lose some.

And as a reminder, each round last 48 hours, so this round ends tonight. As usual, I'm gonna wait until closer to the end of the round to vote.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I vote off Learn to be Still again this round. Again I do concur with dreamer and others in saying that I'd have liked it to have been a bit more focussed on all the members in a more even way. Also I'd love to have seen the accoustic version of PEF on it. But I guess you gotta take what's offered or do without! And in general I DO like what's offered.
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I'm going to go ahead and vote now because I'll be going out to dinner this evening. So even though it probably won't matter this time around ...

I cast my vote for New York Minute.

And just to let you know that since Soda and I won't be around at the time the voting closes tonight, we may be late in posting the results of this round. The first one of us that is available will post them as soon as we can. Please refrain from voting in the next round until we post the announcement.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

My vote is for 'The last resort'.

I vote for Help Me Through The Night

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Visitor View Post
    I had no idea that people didn't like that version of HC! I'm flabbergasted. I thought it was just beautiful when it came out and still do.
    I know I'm going off topic a bit here but while we're waiting for the end of this round, thought I'd say that while I absolutely love the original version of HC complete with the electric guitar solos, I also love the version from Don's Inside Job concert - I call it the Reggae version of HC and listen to it nearly as much as the original
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I know I'm going off topic a bit here but while we're waiting for the end of this round, thought I'd say that while I absolutely love the original version of HC complete with the electric guitar solos, I also love the version from Don's Inside Job concert - I call it the Reggae version of HC and listen to it nearly as much as the original
    Oh my, I'm sorry, but i just can't listen to Don's reggae version!

However, I do love the HFO version. Just not as much as the original.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I like the reggae version even less! LOL... It'd probably be ok other than when Don makes the monkey noises I lose all composure...

OK. I'm in the minority too. I love the acoustic version of HC. That's actually the first Eagles song I heard thanks to HFO special. Now Don's reggae version. Well. No comment. Its like hearing the rap version of LITFL. Some songs should stay the same. LOL Don didn't do a bad job rapping, but that's another story. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I like the reggae version even less! LOL... It'd probably be ok other than when Don makes the monkey noises I lose all composure...
    Yeah, the monkey noises are not the best, I always miss them because I'm cringing so much at that bit but thankfully it does get better but it looks like I could be one of the few people who like this version - wonder what that says about me and my taste in music
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"