Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: your 10 most favorite Eagles guitar solos

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: Top 10 Favorite Guitar Solos

I have a "newbie" question - I always see Frey playing keyboards on ICTYW - I thought Felder played the guitar solo. Did Frey play it on the original recording? Or, are we talking who wrote it?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Top 10 Favorite Guitar Solos

MC - Glenn played the guitar solo on the studio version of ICTYW, but he plays keyboards when they perform the song live.

I'll go ahead and merge the two threads to avoid any confusion.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: your 10 most favorite Eagles guitar solos

Cool, thank you. I was fooled by that video of them in the studio.

Stuck on the Border

Can't give a list, at least not at the moment (I will edit this post if I come up with a list), but Glenn's licks in Too Many Hands are among my favourite Eagles moments guitarwise. I don't mean the harmony parts in the choruses, but the solo parts. Also, his leads in Take The Devil are wonderful; not technically, but the lead break after the first chorus kicks butt and the final solo builds nicely.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Right, but the On The Border liner notes credit Bernie as lead guitarist. I don't think Felder was even in the band yet when it was recorded. Remember, Felder always played the I Can't Tell You why solos
    Felder may have played the intro "solo", but the actual solo sounds like Bernie.

Out on the Border

I really like the guitar playing in After The Thrill is Gone.

There's one short solo that is brilliant, and the R&B lick that opens and closes the song is also very tasty.

Does anyone know who played what on the studio version (I know that Felder plays it live)

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

My list is more or less as follows, it does change a bit although I'm happy with the first four - I knew they had to be in my top ten.

1. Hotel California (Felder and Walsh) (I agree that all the solo parts should be considered together here)
    2. One Of These Nights (Felder)
    3. Peaceful Easy Feeling (Leadon)
    4. I Can't Tell You Why (Frey)
    5. Already Gone (Frey and Felder)
    6. Victim Of Love (slide) (Walsh)
    7. Take It Easy (live) (Walsh)
    8. Those Shoes (Walsh)
    9. Life In The Fast Lane (Walsh and Felder) (I think they both have solo parts - please correct me if this isn't accurate)
    10. Take The Devil (Frey) (both solos)

I also gave serious consideration to:
    Take It Easy - Leadon (studio)
    Witchy Woman - Frey
    Out Of Control - Frey
    Midnight Flyer - Frey
    James Dean - Leadon
    Good Day In Hell - Felder
    Too Many Hands - Felder and Frey
    After The Thrill Is Gone - Felder
    New Kid In Town - Felder
    Victim Of Love (intro) - Felder
    King Of Hollywood - Frey, Felder and Walsh
    Get Over It - Walsh, Felder and Frey
    Long Road Out Of Eden - Walsh

I have based this list on my favourite guitar solos, which means that songs which have great intrinsic guitar parts like New Kid In Town (I like the solo but I can't imagine that song without Felder's other contributions). Similarly Life In The Fast Lane is definitely one of my favourite Eagles guitar songs, but to me its main attraction lies in its classic and instantly recognisable riff. The solo parts get it into the top ten, but not by much. By contrast, ICTYW's rhythm parts do not stand out particularly, but the solo is extremely memorable (and usually warrants a repeat on my iPod).

I am not a guitarist (wish I could play...I digress) but to me rock guitar is more about feel than technique. Neither Neil Young or U2's The Edge are great technical players, but Neil has the feel which makes even a one-note solo like Cinnamon Girl memorable whereas I find The Edge's playing to be, with a few exceptions, generally merely adequate. I believe Glenn Frey has a good feel for his guitar parts, hence why several of his solos are among my very favourites even though he cannot match Felder or Walsh technically.

The unluckiest songs to miss out here I think are Midnight Flyer, JD, TMH, ATTIG and LROOE - none of these would have been out of place in my top ten. On a different day they might have made it.
    As much as I like Bernie's studio TIE solo, I love Joe's 1976-1980 live solos towards the end of the song better, so the original misses out.
    WW was very close but I left out as I wanted to include the in my opinion greatly underrated Take The Devil - I love both of Frey's lead parts there - and as WW already has a great riff, as much as I love the solo, it doesn't make my top ten.
    OOC and GDIH are similar in that in both cases the rhythm guitars are crucial in making those songs what they are and therefore their solos miss out on the top ten - they are less important in my enjoyment of those songs than in some others.
    NKIT - previously discussed to some extent, to me the intrinsic guitar parts (particularly around the 'where've you been lately' section towards the end of the song) are more important than the solo.
    I absolutely love VOL's spitting and snarling intro, but could only justify putting one solo from the song in my top ten and Walsh's slide is right on the money.
    KOH and GOI all feature very good individual solos but none of them alone makes my top ten and they are too separate to consider together like Felder and Walsh's HC solos. For the record, Walsh's solos are my favourites from both those two songs.

There are other good ones I've missed out on, I didn't even give an honourable mention to solos such as those on Outlaw Man, Try and Love Again or Heartache Tonight, all of which I enjoy very much.

Lastly, If the subject area is changed to solos (not just guitar solos), then I would also have to mention Meisner's bass solo on Outlaw Man and Leadon's mandolin on Saturday Night. I think many of the best solos on Desperado were not actually played on guitar, which is unusual for the Eagles.

Great list. I also agree about Randy's bass solo in "Outlaw Man." My sister plays bass, and I actually played that for her as an example of what I considered to be one of my top 3 bass solos ever.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Already Gone
    Midnight Flyer
    Out Of Control
    Outlaw Man- Meisners Bass rocks
    Witchy Woman
    Chug All Night
    Rocky Mtn Way- Mr Joe Walsh
    Take The Devil

sorry only 8 for me.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Out on the Border

This is not even close

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=MONuZiC6yPI[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkOw4DWsPnA[/ame]

My favorite Mandolin solo

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5-0_5O0Wj4[/ame]
    Last edited by Eagles Rule; 12-29-2014 at 03:52 PM.