Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: The Border Book Club

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: The Border Book Club

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the author Jeff Shaara. His dad Michael Shaara wrote my all time favorite novel, The Killer Angels(about the Battle of Gettysburg). Well Jeff decided to carry on what his dad was doing, and he wrote 2 books about the Civil War to cover the years before and after the Gettysburg battle, Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure. I love both books.
    For the longest time, I thought that those were the only books Jeff Shaara had written. Well, I was wrong. He's written several other books, including 2 about the American Revolution. I was surprised and happy to find out that my county library has the first book, Rise to Rebellion. I checked it out this afternoon, and I can't wait to read it!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I've read the book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the second book, The Glorious Cause, at another library close by. (I'm glad that most libraries in Georgia participate in PINES. It makes getting books easier). I got the book yesterday, and am enjoying it so far.
    -Kim-

Well, I'm done with the second book. My mom had to go to the library yesterday for her foster mom, so I decided to tag along. My mom hates libraries and reading. She wanted to get the books for my grandma and leave quickly, so I knew that I couldn't browse the library like I wanted to. I decided, beforehand, that I needed to read some classics because I haven't read any since I read Bram Stoker's Dracula last year. I tend to avoid pre 19th century works, so I decided to read try some Charles Dickens' books. (I love A Christmas Carol, but it's all I've read of his works). The only book the library had was A Tale of Two Cities. I had tried reading that book before in 8th grade, but I didn't enjoy it, so I never finished it. (My teachers pushed me to read more challenging books, but it didn't work) I'll give it another chance now.

I also checked out Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles.(glad that Dickens and Doyle are close together alphabetically) I've read several of the Sherlock Holmes short stories, but never this novel, so I'm excited to read it.
    Last edited by AlreadyGone95; 11-06-2015 at 01:36 AM.
    -Kim-

I'm in the middle of reading alot of rock autobiographies at the moment. I just got done with Mick Fleetwood's, and am starting on Eric Clapton's. I also plan to read Ozzy Osbourne's, David Crosby's, and Aerosmith's before year's end.
    -Kim-

All good books.

I have just about every rock autobio and will be finishing getting all of the ones I dont have on Christmas. John Fogerty's I need to read, as well as a couple others.

I enjoyed reading the books I mentioned a few weeks ago. They are great! I bought the Eric Clapton book because I liked it so much.

I'm now reading Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris. Surprisingly, despite being the huge Mac/Lindsey fan I am, I've yet to read the book.
    -Kim-

I've taken a break from rock bios. I'm in the process of reading 3 books by the same author. I'm just starting on the second book. The author, Carolly Erickson, writes historical fictiom novels about some of the famous ladies in European history. They're told from a first person point of view, sort of like a diary. She is trying to breathe new life into characters that we in the modern world may see as stuffy or boring. The books I'm reading are about Catherine of Aragon (Henry VIII's first wife), Catherine Howard (Henry VIII's fifth wife), and Marie Antoinette (the famous French queen and wife of Louis XVI). I'm reading the books in chronological order.

After I read these books, I plan to read Black Dahila Avenger by Steve Hodel, which is cconsidered by many to be the book to read about the murder of Elizabeth Short (The Black Dahila). Hodel is the son of the most likely suspect in this about 7 decade old unsolved murder.

Then, I'll read Go Set A Watchman.

One thing about being sick is that I end up reading alot.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I'm now reading Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac by Carol Ann Harris. Surprisingly, despite being the huge Mac/Lindsey fan I am, I've yet to read the book.
    What did you think of the book, AG? I think I've mentioned before that it made me dislike Lindsey (what kind of creep would hit Stevie Nicks, especially since she's a tiny 5'1"?!) but after awhile I guess I realized we can't really know what the truth is unless we were there, or have better evidence than just hearsay.

Right now, I'm listening to the audiobook of Joe Perry's autobiography, narrated by Mr. Perry himself. It's quite interesting and I absolutely adore New England accents. I don't know what it is, but just to hear him say "started" or "Harvard" or "armed guards" is a small thrill.

I read Steven Tyler's book about a year ago, so nothing in Joe's book is all that surprising, except for his passionate affair as a young man with Judy Carne.

It's also a refreshing change to read about a rock 'n roll guy who is a self-described "one woman man" and was not into the groupie thang - at least to hear him tell it.

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    What did you think of the book, AG? I think I've mentioned before that it made me dislike Lindsey (what kind of creep would hit Stevie Nicks, especially since she's a tiny 5'1"?!) but after awhile I guess I realized we can't really know what the truth is unless we were there, or have better evidence than just hearsay.

Right now, I'm listening to the audiobook of Joe Perry's autobiography, narrated by Mr. Perry himself. It's quite interesting and I absolutely adore New England accents. I don't know what it is, but just to hear him say "started" or "Harvard" or "armed guards" is a small thrill.

I read Steven Tyler's book about a year ago, so nothing in Joe's book is all that surprising, except for his passionate affair as a young man with Judy Carne.

It's also a refreshing change to read about a rock 'n roll guy who is a self-described "one woman man" and was not into the groupie thang - at least to hear him tell it.

I enjoyed the book. It was nice to read about the Fleetwood Mac happenings from an insider. To me, Lindsey came across as a guy of extremes. He could be extremely caring, but then become extremely scarey or extremely possessive.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Though it was a relatively small part of her book, I appreciated the vivid way Carol Ann wrote about Dennis Wilson. He was part of the otherwise all-female "Merry Widows" club of FM spouses and girlfriends who would hang out together while their other halves spent long hours in the recording studio. Dennis' joie de vivre came across very well - I could totally picture him trying to snort coke while driving a speeding convertible on a twisty L.A. road, with the wind blowing cocaine all over him and Dennis laughing his head off.

I'm at the part in the Joe Perry book now where he meets his future wife. It's sweet, but I can't believe Joe is so trusting (dumb?) that he still believes his wife never heard of Aerosmith. She grew up in Boston for Pete's sake. That would be like a Miamian claiming to have never heard of Gloria Estefan.