Page 255 of 302 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256257258259265 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 3014

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

Today I am knee deep in Christmas decorations!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Today I am knee deep in Christmas decorations!
    I was knee deep in them 2 weeks ago. Now I'm surrounded by them! (It's overkill imo). Tomorrow, the artificial tree goes up, which takes all afternoon. I'll soon help my uncle look for a real tree for his house. I love seeing beautiful Christmas displays and parades, but not at home, lol. Too much work involved!
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Shopping done
    Now sorting ad wrapping ugh
    Went to start wrapping and I can't find the gift tags lol

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thats awful Brooke -I know what you are going through as it is similar with my parents. I think my mother is suffering from memory problems too - or else she is becoming slightly delusional. For instance she will tell you something a few times. Or one day when I called over after work she told me that my sister had just left. I felt that it was highly unlikely as my sister works days and calls over evenings. I checked with my sister and true enough she hadn't called in that day. However the worst was on Friday. We were discussing Christmas preparations and she asked me what Christmas presents we were buying for my husbands parents. But they are dead years now. She also has Dad dressed like a tramp because she doesn't seem to see that he is rather bedraggled and unable to select appropriate (clean) outfits without help.

They get an hour care every day from the State Health Service but she feels they don't need any help. She doesn't even let the carer IN most mornings, and he is supposed to help Dad with getting ready. My brother worked very hard to secure this and if she calls up and tells them not to come again it could be years before they could qualify for it again. We have also organised a cleaner to come in once a week to do the heavy work. Again she feels it isn't necessary as she thinks she can do it all herself but in reality she can't. She has been told that if they dont accept help and one of them has an accident or something they will BOTH end up in nursing homes but she laughs it off as nonsense.

Worst of all is that she will not accept that she is severely mobility impaired - she can barely walk around the house and is very slowing really doesn't go out unless with one of us. But she thinks 6 months or more down the road that this is only temporary and that she will be flying around soon. Her doctor has told myself and my brother that this is probably where she will plateau.

But on a GOOD note, Chris got accepted to the school of choice that we want him to go to next year. We had initially been given the impression that he had a place there. Then we were told NO he was only on the waiting list and we were advised to find another school. All the local schools were full at that stage but I could always send him where I teach myself. Anyway on Friday we got the letter to say that he is in to where he wants to go and we have 2 weeks to accept the place (and pay the fees deposit! lol)
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Again, good luck with your parents, GA. My grandfather has been doing better this past week. He's been up watching tv more (not sleeping), and he's eating more as well. He actually had the strength to drive his riding lawn mower uptown to buy himself some chewing tobacco. (The sheriff has given him permission to drive the mower around town despite him not having a driver's license lol). That's the first time he's done that in a few months.

Glad that your son can go to the school that you want him to. Up until a few years ago, the only free option here was the poor public schools. If you didn't want your kid going there, you had to pay between $500-$5000 to send them elsewhere and provide transportation to and from the school, which were at least 25 miles away. Now there's an almost free charter school that you can send them to, which is the best option for most people.

I just took a nasty fall in my bedroom about an hour ago. I tripped over the carpet, and landed hard on my left side. There's no major damage, just a sore elbow, wrist, and kneecap, luckily.
    -Kim-

AG, sorry you took a tumble!! Hope you'll be fine soon.

It's all in your smile that brings
    All of the special things about you

Quote Originally Posted by LuvTim View Post
    AG, sorry you took a tumble!! Hope you'll be fine soon.
    Thanks LT . I'll just be sore for awhile. My kneecap and elbow took the brunt of the fall. I got some nasty bruises on them.
    -Kim-

GA, sorry to hear about your parents. I know how difficult it gets when they are getting older. My dad became very stubborn as he got older. Said the cleaning lady stole things from him, so he let her go & then didn't clean much himself. He was in Florida & it was hard for me to keep taps on him. According to him, he was fine.. His mind was still very sharp, but he didn't want any help, wanted to drive at 88, when he clearly was not doing it very well. Refused to go to assisted living, unfortunately he died in the house. I felt so bad there was nobody there to help him. Felt very guilty. They said he had a stroke.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Tk, so sorry. A very tough situation for you.

Aging parents really are something to contend with. My mom was the baby of her family, spoiled, and always got her way. It seems she has reverted to that and is finding it very hard to understand that she can't have her way any longer. We have tried to talk with her and help her understand that she can't live by herself any longer and she needs to get along with her caregivers or she will make it harder on herself.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

To everyone who is trying to cope with their elderly parents - thinking of you and hope you can get through the holiday season ok.

Here's to a happy and more prosperous 2016!!
    Last edited by L101; 11-30-2015 at 08:17 PM.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"