Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Fake Reviews ???

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Fake Reviews ???

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I agree that the Eagles sound has gotten worse since Glenn has left, as in they don’t sound as Eaglesy. But what I meant is just on the basis of how the song is performed someone might like Vince’s take of tequila sunrise vs Glenn’s etc. or like Linda singing desperado vs Don. I think that how well they performed is less opinionated because we can hold them to their high standards but how Glenn’s version of a song is compared to another persons is more personal taste.
    Well, here you go with the 'Glenn's voice didn't really matter' stuff. It's only 'personal taste 'whether you prefer his singing, whereas the overall performance has to do with 'high standards'.

Guess what: the vocals of someone who has sung the songs for six months cannot & never will match the vocals of someone who sang them for 40 years, and that is not just a matter of 'personal taste'. The decline in quality of the vocals on these songs, you may be surprised to hear, is going to lower the 'high standards'.

Also, regarding your previous post to which Toni replied & I agree, how on earth can there be a 'review' of these shows without drawing comparisons? Talk about rewriting history. That seems to be what the people who are in favour of this want.

But what I meant is just on the basis of how the song is performed someone might like Vince’s take of tequila sunrise vs Glenn’s etc.
    That would be very wrong IMO. I'm sorry if that sounds bad, but it just is wrong. I have a problem with that. If that sounds judgmental then I'm sorry but I do.

It's Glenn's song.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I agree that the Eagles sound has gotten worse since Glenn has left, as in they don’t sound as Eaglesy. But what I meant is just on the basis of how the song is performed someone might like Vince’s take of tequila sunrise vs Glenn’s etc. or like Linda singing desperado vs Don. I think that how well they performed is less opinionated because we can hold them to their high standards but how Glenn’s version of a song is compared to another persons is more personal taste.
    Every reviewer sure seems to love Vince's performance on everything. And those who do mention Glenn seem to think the Glenn songs sung by Vince are at least as good now.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Well, here you go with the 'Glenn's voice didn't really matter' stuff. It's only 'personal taste 'whether you prefer his singing, whereas the overall performance has to do with 'high standards'.

Guess what: the vocals of someone who has sung the songs for six months cannot & never will match the vocals of someone who sang them for 40 years, and that is not just a matter of 'personal taste'. The decline in quality of the vocals on these songs, you may be surprised to hear, is going to lower the 'high standards'.

Also, regarding your previous post to which Toni replied & I agree, how on earth can there be a 'review' of these shows without drawing comparisons? Talk about rewriting history. That seems to be what the people who are in favour of this want.
    I didn’t say Glenn’s voice didn’t matter. I would find it absurd to think that it’s impossible to like Vince gills voice more than Glenn’s. I do not feel that way but it is again a matter of opinion. That should not be controversial. It would be like saying someone cannot cover a song and do it better. I wouldn’t blame someone if they felt Glenn sang take it to the limit better than Randy despite the fact that Randy was the original singer, and was famous for it. It is again a matter of what kind of voice you prefer. If someone was to say Randy’s voice was the best in the band who am I to say no you cannot believe that? I happen to agree with you but the fact that I believe it’s a matter of opinion leads to an argument. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    That would be very wrong IMO. I'm sorry if that sounds bad, but it just is wrong. I have a problem with that. If that sounds judgmental then I'm sorry but I do.

It's Glenn's song.
    I don’t take any offense. I would also be put off by it but if someone was a big gill fan I would understand that belief

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    Every reviewer sure seems to love Vince's performance on everything. And those who do mention Glenn seem to think the Glenn songs sung by Vince are at least as good now.
    Don’t get me wrong. Glenn was not treated fairly by reviews. Vince Gill has also been praised way too much. What I’m saying is he is still a very good singer and can perform the song well.

Stuck on the Border

Don’t get me wrong. Glenn was not treated fairly by reviews. Vince Gill has also been praised way too much. What I’m saying is he is still a very good singer and can perform the song well.
    I think I understand what you're saying. But I think that reviewers (not all of them anyway) shouldn't just look for a good performance of a song when the song has such a long history with its originator. That history should be acknowledged more IMO and the history of the band soundwise - when the band still performs under the same name.

I think I understand what you're saying. But I think that reviewers (not all of them anyway) shouldn't just look for a good performance of a song when the song has such a long history with its originator. That history should be acknowledged more IMO and the history of the band soundwise - when the band still performs under the same name.
    Yeah I suppose you’re right. I’m not sure what I was really getting at there. I do think reviews should focus primarily on the performance within the concert but context from the past is important as well.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Vince Gill is no chump. He has won more Grammys than all the Eagles put together. He is from the country music genre, where you cannot possibly succeed unless you have the vocal goods and one cannot simply rely on gimmicks, a sexy image, etc. as some rock/pop acts have (although that may not be the case anymore now that country has changed). I don’t get why it’s so shocking to some that reviewers consistently praise his performances. It’s one thing to say his voice doesn’t suit the songs or doesn’t appeal to one’s personal taste but as far as “quality” goes—Henley chose him for a reason.

Rather than conjuring up conspiracy theories or bashing reviewers, maybe it’s to accept that, for reviewers like much of the public, Vince is a damn fine singer.

Concert reviews should be focused on the performances, IMO. If there were comparisons to be made, they should have been made last summer/fall when this whole enterprise was getting off the ground. Glenn has been gone for almost 2 1/2 years now—and he will never be forgotten—but I do believe the reviewers have struck the right balance between evaluating the performances and remembering Glenn’s contributions. As a fan of Bernie, Randy and Don F, I understand “rewriting history” and I don’t see how that is happening with Glenn.

How is Glenn not being treated fairly? He’s not in the band anymore!

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

Delilah, you quoted my post, but I have never talked about the quality of Vince as a singer. What I meant was that every reviewer seems to think that his voice works perfectly for every song Glenn (or Randy) sang. Nothing to do with Grammys. (I'm not talking about "fake reviews" either although this thread is about them.)

Celine Dion is a fabulous singer, but people don't necessarily love her interpretation of every song.
    Last edited by chaim; 04-24-2018 at 04:09 PM.