The Border: An Eagles Message Board

Go Back   The Border: An Eagles Message Board > Eagles Discussion Areas > On the Road with the Eagles > Tour Talk

Tour Talk Discuss generalized aspects of live Eagles-related shows.

Old 07-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #61
cosec3791
Border Desperado

Default Re: Classic West L.A. - One Year Later

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
In my mind it’s like 60-40 between the music provided by Felder and Joe and the lyrics and vocal from Don (Glenn for the lyrics). Slight edge to the music being more important but the lyrics and vocal are also a big part of the song
Each to one's own I guess. Most people DO prefer the vocals and lyrics. Only a few people care about the music (guitars particularly here), like me, WalshFan, etc.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #62
Ive always been a dreamer

Location: Cruising down the center of a two-way street in Virginia

cosec - While this thread has veered off topic at times, your last few posts are especially not relevant to the original post. If you want to continue to discuss your topic, please find another more suitable thread to post in or start a new one. I will be happy to move all applicable posts for you. Thanks.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016
Ive always been a dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:35 PM   #63
sodascouts
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
From what I can tell, NONE of the Eagles' kids have careers, genuine careers (yes Lucy is a sometime actress and I don't know about Joe's other kids, but I do know about Don's and Timothy's). These offspring dabble in the arts, a little.
Question - do you mean none of them have "genuine careers" in show business? It sounds like you don't think any of them work for a living, period. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

You mention Lucy Walsh. Take a look at her Wikipedia page. She worked as a backup singer for Ashlee Simpson and a keyboard player for Ry Cuming. I follow her on Twitter, and she continues to perform professionally and play shows. Although she hasn't released anything in a while, she has put out an EP and some singles - one of her songs appeared on a soundtrack, another on a tribute album. You can hear several of her songs on her YouTube channel, and IMO they're quite good. No, she hasn't found commercial success. However, I think it's pretty harsh to characterize her as nothing more than a "sometime actress" without a "genuine career." JMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten
sodascouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:58 PM   #64
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Question - do you mean none of them have "genuine careers" in show business? It sounds like you don't think any of them work for a living, period. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you?

You mention Lucy Walsh. Take a look at her Wikipedia page. She worked as a backup singer for Ashlee Simpson and a keyboard player for Ry Cuming. I follow her on Twitter, and she continues to perform professionally and play shows. Although she hasn't released anything in a while, she has put out an EP and some singles - one of her songs appeared on a soundtrack, another on a tribute album. You can hear several of her songs on her YouTube channel, and IMO they're quite good. No, she hasn't found commercial success. However, I think it's pretty harsh to characterize her as nothing more than a "sometime actress" without a "genuine career." JMHO.
Agreed. Deacon needs to forge his own path at some point.

RIP Glenn Lewis Frey 1948-2016

"People don't run out of dreams - people just run out of time."

WalshFan88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:39 AM   #65
cosec3791
Border Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
Agreed. Deacon needs to forge his own path at some point.
Yeah he will. In the world of Hip Hop that is. He already started doing stuff on SoundCloud before he went to the Eagles. Maybe he could actually be world famous, as Hip Hop is still quite the craze today. Here's hoping he wouldn't go to mumble rap lol
Old 08-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #66
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
Yeah he will. In the world of Hip Hop that is. He already started doing stuff on SoundCloud before he went to the Eagles. Maybe he could actually be world famous, as Hip Hop is still quite the craze today. Here's hoping he wouldn't go to mumble rap lol
If that's truly his calling (and I can see how it would be, with his image he projects and his IG postings and frankly, his weed usage, lol), then he should absolutely go pursue that. I'm not a rap/hiphop fan at all, so I can't say I'd like it but I'd certainly have more respect for him doing that than what he's doing now, which yes, to me is still riding the coattails of his father and getting an easy in without much dues paying or having to work for it, as I've said before.

Eventually he needs to tell Henley and Co that he needs his own life and step out of the shadow of his dad. It can't be healthy. If anything, if I were Deacon it'd make my grieving even harder knowing I have to go out there and sing my dad's songs every night, a constant reminder of his passing and the fact that it's always, always going to be a bittersweet thing and you cannot escape it. Sure, at first it might have been healing, but for every positive there's a negative point to it, and eventually you won't be able to escape it anymore.

I don't care if he stays in music or not, whatever HIS passion is (meaning not that of his dad or his dad's old bandmates), he should pursue it. If he wants to paint art, be a dog groomer, be a Fortune 500 CEO, rap and smoke pot all day, whatever. But it should be what HE likes and really wants to do, not pressured by money on the table or pleasing his dad's friends. He says he likes playing with the guys now, but for how long, and there's always the possibility of regretting it later on. Life is too damn short and to make an Eagles reference, do it before there's been too much wasted time. He's still young now, but he won't be forever. That's a LOT of years potentially doing nothing but trying to be someone he'll never be to please others, some of which will never accept his place in the band (like me). I'd hate for him to look back and think about what he could have done to enjoy his youth and his young adulthood but instead spent it all doing this. If he likes it fine, it doesn't change my viewpoint, but he should be happy being Deacon. It wouldn't be like looking back on your young adulthood when you had your own band that was successful like Glenn did and partied, but rather looking back at trying to be someone he's not and it's not even his own work that he's performing and it wasn't his creation either. There's no success story here for him, nothing. It's just I spent X amount of years trying to be a human jukebox playing songs that weren't even my bag.

To me this whole thing with the new band is really, really sad and I don't know who to feel the most sorry for, honestly. I alternate between feelings of sadness and feelings of anger when it comes to the continuance of this band. Sometimes I can't decide if I'm more mad or more sad about it. I'm mad at some people for doing what they did to make it continue, but at the same time I also feel sorry for them. But Deacon made his choice and that's totally fine but he has to take the bad with the good and eventually jump off of this doomed freight train or ride it until it derails however many years later. Like the Hotel California, you can check out anytime, but you can never truly leave.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #67
groupie2686
Border Rebel

[quote=WalshFan88;379591]

Eventually he needs to tell Henley and Co that he needs his own life and step out of the shadow of his dad. It can't be healthy. If anything, if I were Deacon it'd make my grieving even harder knowing I have to go out there and sing my dad's songs every night, a constant reminder of his passing and the fact that it's always, always going to be a bittersweet thing and you cannot escape it. Sure, at first it might have been healing, but for every positive there's a negative point to it, and eventually you won't be able to escape it anymore.
QUOTE]

I agree with you, Walsh Fan, this doesn't sound healthy to me either. I've wondered if this is a way to avoid accepting reality for him, he doesn't have to accept his father's death when he can be his father on stage, and when they are finally done with this version of the Eagles, it will hit him really hard. I would think that Glenn would have wanted his children to live their own lives and forge their own paths, as Glenn did himself.

I don't wish Deacon any ill will, so I hope no one takes it that way, just that he finds a way to live his own life and step out of his father's shadow.
groupie2686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:29 PM   #68
chaim
Stuck on the Border

Agreed. Also, the "Isn't it great? He looks just like his father in the 70's" thing can't go on forever.
chaim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #69
Delilah
Stuck on the Border

I think Deacon should do what makes him happy. He has said on and off stage he is having the time of his life. The insinuation that he is being pressured by Don or anyone else to be in the band is baseless and presumptuous. When he says he’s enjoying himself, I don’t have any reason to believe he’s lying. He’s young but he’s still a grown man who has taken the opportunity of a lifetime to perform with a famous world-class band. If he didn’t pay his dues in the traditional ways, so what? LeBron James went from high school to professional basketball and there were naysayers shaking their heads b/c he skipped the valuable college B.B. experience.

I understand there’s a need by some people to paint Deacon’s endeavors in a bad light b/c it supposedly supports a position that what he and his band is doing is “bad” or “wrong.”

However, the doom-and-gloom predictions are misplaced and again, highly presumptuous. Like Deacon, I lost my father when I was in my early 20s. For be it for anyone, esp. strangers, to tell me how I should grieve, to what degree, what I am feeling or thinking, etc. I found it incredulous that in the Negative Beat-the-Dead-Horse Thread people were looking at their watches asking isnt it time Deacon stop performing and paying tribute to his father and hasn’t he grieved long enough. Yet if the band members were to stop referring to Glenn altogether, being that he’s been gone for 2 1/2 years, I bet they would be singing a different tune.

Make no mistake, Deacon is living his own life. Just b/c some people don’t approve or it doesn’t conform to their way of thinking, doesn’t mean he isn’t or that it’s “unhealthy.” I wish him the best of luck in whatever he decides to do. Thank goodness he is getting more positive vibes from the fans than negative ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaim View Post
Agreed. Also, the "Isn't it great? He looks just like his father in the 70's" thing can't go on forever.
Of all the reviews, articles, tweets, etc. I have read, I can’t recall anyone saying “isn’t it great?” Often it’s more like, “Wow, he looks just like his father.”

Take it to the limit, one more time.
Delilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:24 PM   #70
WalshFan88
Stuck on the Border

Absolutely groupie and chaim.

There is going to be a lot of sorrow for a multitude of reasons when it finally hits him. Denial is not a river in Egypt.