Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

These are my picks. As I have said numerous times, not my favorite album. And Soda, I agree ! What were they thinking when they wrote and agreed to put the TS, TGDWBF, DS and TJ on the album. To me this shows how exhausted they were physically and mentally as well as beyond caring as long as the album got done.

1. Heartache Tonight
    2. The Long Run
    3. I Can't Tell You Why
    4. The Sad Cafe
    5. In the City
    6. King of Hollywood
    7. Those Shoes
    8. The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks
    9. The Disco Strangler
    10. Teenage Jail

I guess I'm the only one who'd love to see a version of Teenage Jail live...

New Kid, I understand that you'd not remember. I was just hopefully asking. But I still stand with my opinion that TLR tour did not have much jams. This is based on my listening and analyzing of more than 10 Long Run tour concerts all the way from the tour's inception till the end. It definitely does not match 1973 or 1974, or 1976 or 1977. I know it may not be as great or significant as actually being there, but it is the best I could experience. And I never told they were bad in the tour. In fact, 1980 is my third favorite year of them. They still performed very well, just that they were tighter. They still had some rarities and there was concrete proof them, unlike 1979 wherein the epic setlists are questionable. And based on whatever bootlegs, along with 1973 and 1976, 1980 had the best setlists for rarities and cool stuff.

And I never knew fussing about setlists was a problem. I frankly cannot help it.
    The chemistry... nuff said

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think we all know what the bottom will look like, though. You have to wonder... when they were recording it... did they really think those were good?
    To be fair, I am not sure about the second sentence. I sometimes felt a few things from Soul Pole could've been polished when it comes to lyrics and then recorded. They had some great instrumentals.

And also did you decide the favorite versions yet?

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    These are my picks. As I have said numerous times, not my favorite album. And Soda, I agree ! What were they thinking when they wrote and agreed to put the TS, TGDWBF, DS and TJ on the album. To me this shows how exhausted they were physically and mentally as well as beyond caring as long as the album got done.
    I have to disagree about "Those Shoes." I love it! But the other three are almost universally disparaged, to varying degrees.

I guess if they were exhausted and beyond caring, more time wouldn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    To be fair, I am not sure about the second sentence. I sometimes felt a few things from Soul Pole could've been polished when it comes to lyrics and then recorded. They had some great instrumentals.

And also did you decide the favorite versions yet?
    Cosec- when I have decided, I'll post them. Regarding Soul Poul, I agree it had some cool stuff.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Okay - It's time to post the results of our The Long Run poll. As it stands now, the additional votes hardly changed the order of finish - the only change is that The Sad Cafe overtook In the City for the 5th spot. So, it looks like Borderers are fairly consistent in the way we rate these songs, Without further delay, here's the standings combined with the previous results ...

1. Heartache Tonight - 185 points
    2. I Can't Tell You Why - 157 points
    3. The Long Run - 145 points
    4. Those Shoes - 138 points
    5. The Sad Cafe - 136 points
    6. In the City - 122 points
    7. King of Hollywood - 115 points
    8. The Greek Don't Want No Freaks - 71 points
    9. Teenage Jail - 49 points
    10. The Disco Strangler - 37 points

So congratulations to our top vote-getter, Heartache Tonight!!!

Thanks to those who participated. As always, if anyone else wants to still post their list, it's not too late. Go right ahead - I'll update the standings if this happens.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I see. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really like Heartache Tonight here. But I really like Teenage Jail lol. That oughta be polarizing.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, cosec - as the old saying goes 'different strokes for different folks'. We like what we like, but, it seems you definitely have a minority opinion amongst us around here. I actually like Teenage Jail even though I think it is one of the band's weaker songs. On the other hand, Heartache Tonight is one of their best, IMO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well, cosec - as the old saying goes 'different strokes for different folks'. We like what we like, but, it seems you definitely have a minority opinion amongst us around here. I actually like Teenage Jail even though I think it is one of the band's weaker songs. On the other hand, Heartache Tonight is one of their best, IMO.
    It is indeed. My friend is even more polarizing... he does not like Heartache Tonight at all, but loves Teenage Jail. It is his favorite song of the whole album. He also loves The Disco Strangler! Who would've thought of that?!

I REALLY, REALLY wish we would get a bootleg of 1979 Capital Center so we would get to hear Teenage Jail live...

The only song never done live from the album is The Disco Stranger. Everything else was done.

I have to say. When I started to like the Eagles 5 years ago, I hated Heartache Tonight because my other favorite group The Osmonds always played the song in their setlist(since the 80s when they sang backup on Conway Twitty's version). I was burnt out hearing it. I like it now, but I hated Heartache Tonight.

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Quote Originally Posted by cosec3791 View Post
    I see. I guess I'm the only one who doesn't really like Heartache Tonight here. But I really like Teenage Jail lol. That oughta be polarizing.
    Donīt feel so lonely cosec, I donīt like Heartache Tonight either.
    In fact my favorite song of The Long Run is King of Hollywood: good lyrics, excellent voice (Henley) and terrific guitars.
    Itīs perfect!