Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Default Re: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Central and southwest Georgia had our wettest winter on tecord as well. There was massive flooding of rivers and creeks. There's still so much standing water that it's hindering some farmers. They can't till the fields to plant their crops. Spring is turning into a wet one as well. We got 4 inches of rain over 3 days less than a week ago,and will get at least that much over this Thursday and Friday. 8 inches in 8 days!

Despite this, I still love Praying for Rain, and the message behind it (ok, it does drag a bit at the end). I've seen the springs and summers where there's been a huge drought. Many times we barely have a spring. Highs reach the 90s by May, so the farmers must pay to irrigate their fields much more than usual, which hurts them. What hurts the farmers hurts food prices. (Meaning they go up and up)

I say vote for either Bramble Rose or Words Can Break Your Heart.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    Central and southwest Georgia had our wettest winter on tecord as well. There was massive flooding of rivers and creeks. There's still so much standing water that it's hindering some farmers. They can't till the fields to plant their crops. Spring is turning into a wet one as well. We got 4 inches of rain over 3 days less than a week ago,and will get at least that much over this Thursday and Friday. 8 inches in 8 days!
    Veering off for just a moment.....my goodness AG, send us some rain! We are 4 inches below normal for the year so far! It's in the forecast for tonight, but the recent events over the last couple months have only allotted us a couple tenths of an inch of rain each time.

Ok, carry on!

I do like the harmonica in Bramble Rose!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Veering off for just a moment.....my goodness AG, send us some rain! We are 4 inches below normal for the year so far! It's in the forecast for tonight, but the recent events over the last couple months have only allotted us a couple tenths of an inch of rain each time.

Ok, carry on!

I do like the harmonica in Bramble Rose!

Ya'll may have it. I'm tired of hearing the ground squish when I walk. I'm ready to see several days of sunshine! Plus, with the warmer weather and standing water, mosquitoes are going crazy.
    -Kim-

Stuck on the Border

Regarding Praying For Rain Australia is drought stricken quite frequently, but that type of scenario is not one I can use when evaluating songs. If it were, how could I ever listen to a song set in winter featuring snow? The problem with Praying For Rain is the monotonous melody & unnecessary repeating of the title at the end. If the melody were OK, I wouldn't mind (think Already Gone) but it isn't.

As for Bramble Rose Mick wasn't even in the same studio & perhaps not even in the same country, so you don't get any sense of it being a collaboration (to be fair their voices are never heard at the same time). I love the Stones' country songs, but this song doesn't work. Still, while I think both of these songs deserve to be voted off, Words Can Break Your Heart is inferior to them both in my view (NB I have already voted - just expressing some thoughts).

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well for me, it's a toss up between Praying for Rain and Bramble Rose. I do agree that it's time for them to go. Since this round is tied and I don't have a strong preference, I decided to leave this round up to the tiebreaker and hope we get the survivor next round. Therefore, I'll stick with the song I've been voting for ...

I cast my vote for A Younger Man.

ETA: My computer hung up and this post did not make it in time before the round ended. Therefore, my vote won't be counted. Thank goodness it didn't make any difference.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Results of Round 4: Praying for Rain should have prayed for victory

In a tied round, the next song to be eliminated in the Cass County Survivor is Praying for Rain. “Praying for Rain”, the tribe has spoken and you rain wasn’t the only thing you should have prayed for. Now you need to make your way off this desert island and find a place with a more suitable climate.

Votes
    Praying for Rain – 6
    Bramble Rose – 6
    Words Can Break Your Heart – 3
    Too Far Gone – 1

Previous Votes
    Praying for Rain – 4
    Bramble Rose – 2

Vote Breakdown
    Praying for Rain – scottside
    Praying for Rain – Lacken101
    Praying for Rain – FWIW
    Praying for Rain – DivineDon
    Praying for Rain – shunlvswx
    Praying for Rain – NOLA
    Bramble Rose – sodascouts[/FONT][/COLOR]
    Bramble Rose – jms18222
    Bramble Rose – AlreadyGone95
    Bramble Rose – SoaringRockyMountainWay
    Bramble Rose – timfan
    Bramble Rose – Brooke
    Words Can Break Your Heart – Freypower
    Words Can Break Your Heart – maryc2130
    Words Can Break Your Heart – Jonny Come Lately
    Too Far Gone – ktdids

Songs eliminated:
    When I Stop Dreaming 3/24
    She Sang Hymns Out of Tune 3/26
    Too Much Pride 3/28
    Praying for Rain 3/30

Songs remaining:
    Bramble Rose
    The Cost of Living
    No, Thank You
    Waiting Tables
    Take a Picture of This
    Too Far Gone
    That Old Flame
    The Brand New Tennessee Waltz
    Words Can Break Your Heart
    Train in the Distance
    A Younger Man
    Where I Am Now
    It Don’t Matter To the Sun
    Here Come Those Tears Again

Voting for Round Five begins now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

I should join the coalition against Bramble Rose but it will probably go next. I am sticking with Words Can Break Your Heart especially now a couple of others have voted for it.

Border Rebel

I will stick with you, FP, and vote again for Words Can Break Your Heart.

Sad to see one of my favorites go.

I vote for Words Can Break Your Heart as well. Bramble Rose has grown on me. This song has not.
    -Kim-

I can see why people voted off "Praying for Rain" but I liked it, even if Don's statement about why he made the narrator a farmer disillusioned me a little.

"Words Can Break Your Heart" may be trite, but I love the harmonies.

Another reason I'm going to keep my vote the same is because of the fact that "Bramble Rose" is such a disappointing simile. When I first bought the album, I tried to guess which ones Don wrote and which ones he didn't. I immediately knew Don didn't write this one because he always makes the most of his figurative language and "Bramble Rose" makes no sense.

"So her love has turned as hard / grown as sharp as a bramble rose... like a real good woman nobody knows."

So... how is a bramble rose like an unknown good-hearted woman? According to this, they're both hard and sharp. The thing is that hard, sharp bramble roses hurt people so... That makes no sense.

Maybe most don't care, but that kind of thing bothers me and makes it hard for me to enjoy the song. Laugh if you like!

Just to be clear...

I cast my vote for Bramble Rose.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten