Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cass County" Survivor Game

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: "Cass County" Survivor Game

OK, well, I've been waiting to see how others would vote, but I will go ahead. My next vote is for Words Can Break Your Heart. I find it clichéd & the fac that it's a duet doesn't help.

Next vote is She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. It just fell flat to me.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'll vote for the other least favorite I mentioned, She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. It's boring and bland to me.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I’m a little bombed that When I Stop Dreaming was the first song to go. It’s not my favorite song on the album, but it certainly isn’t my least favorite either. I will say that the song didn’t make a good first impression on me. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded like Dolly was really straining to hit those high notes; however, after a few more listens, I realized she wasn’t and the song has grown on me somewhat. I think she and Don sound really good together.

I’m really surprised that some of these songs are getting votes this early in the game. We are just at the begining of Round 2 and already half of the songs on this album have received at least one vote. We sure seem to be all over the place with our opinions, so it won’t take too many votes to eliminate a song if this trend continues. For what it’s worth, I happen to like the two songs that have received vote in this round. Didn't Don mention in an interview that he included She Sang Hymns Out of Tune because it reminded him of his grandmother that lived with his family or am I imagining that? Oh well – it should make for an interesting game.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Words Can Break Your Heart is also low on my list. It doesn't do anything for me. As far When I Stop Dreaming, Dolly's voice is almost like nails on a chalkboard for me.

I'm not too surprised that our opinions vary. IIRC, in the review thread, very few members had the same songs as their favorites. My favorites are still the ones that stood out to me during the first listen 6 months ago. (Has it really been 6 months already?) I think that some of us are trying to get a "feel" of what others think. That's why I waited until the second day to vote in the first round.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

I love 'Words can break your heart'. I think it's a great song and he sings it so well with Trisha. He sounds so much better in this song than in 'When I stop dreaming ' - that was just terrible and the abrupt way the song started didn't help it either.

'She sang hymns out of tune' was a Dillards song and Don loves the Dillards But I think it reminded him of when he was young as well.

This round, I'm going to stick with Too much pride
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I’m a little bombed that When I Stop Dreaming was the first song to go. It’s not my favorite song on the album, but it certainly isn’t my least favorite either. I will say that the song didn’t make a good first impression on me. When I first heard it, I thought it sounded like Dolly was really straining to hit those high notes; however, after a few more listens, I realized she wasn’t and the song has grown on me somewhat. I think she and Don sound really good together.

I’m really surprised that some of these songs are getting votes this early in the game. We are just at the beginning of Round 2 and already half of the songs on this album have received at least one vote. We sure seem to be all over the place with our opinions, so it won’t take too many votes to eliminate a song if this trend continues. For what it’s worth, I happen to like the two songs that have received vote in this round. Didn't Don mention in an interview that he included She Sang Hymns Out of Tune because it reminded him of his grandmother that lived with his family or am I imagining that? Oh well – it should make for an interesting game.
    I agree, Dreamer, about When I Stop Dreaming. I never thought it would be the first to go. I'm also very surprise that so many songs have been nominated. There seems to be a wide variance of opinion on the songs on the album.

I agree with Freypower on Words Can Break My Heart. I find it very cliched, especially for a Don song.

Still, I'll vote for She Sang Hymns Out of Tune. What is up with that song? I just don't get it. People who are? Huh?

My vote will also go to She Sang Hymns Out of Tune, because IMO, Don is singing this out of tune. Seriously, it sounds like he's singing with a Dylanesque nasal whine which I find grating. However, I do like the melody.

Cass County Survivor is turning out to be a very interesting edition. My top three faves have all received negative votes, so I'm curious to see what others will choose as theirs.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Border Rebel

She Sang Hymns Out of Tune, once again.

Border Troubadour

Well, it looks like She Sang Hymns Out of Tune is going down but I quite like it - it's quirky and shows a different side to Don. I don't particularly like Words Can Break Your Heart and I thought the quality of Don's voice on When I Stop Dreaming was amazing - it's Dolly who ruined it for me ...and A Younger Man... Dreamer, how could you?

I decided before we started this game that I was going to stick to my guns so once again I vote for Praying for Rain
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...