Page 99 of 145 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast

Thread: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Apart from the threat of a lawsuit, I think the others wouldn't have dared do the Eagles without him when he was alive. In HOTE, Timothy says that they got together in Aspen in 1990, but Glenn didn't come, so the reunion didn't happen. When Glenn had his surgery in 1994, they didn't get a temporary replacement and continue on their tour until he recovered, as some bands have done in a situation like that, they rescheduled the concerts.

I don't understand the public's acceptance of substitutes either. Isn't it the combination of people in a band that make it magic, not just the songs themselves? At least, it is for me. If the songs are all you care about it, you could go see a tribute band or to a karaoke bar and save your money. And while I know that the Eagles had substituted plenty of members in their time, there are some band members in every band who are so essential they can't be replaced.

Border Desperado

Default Re: For Those Saying Glenn Frey is Necessary to the Eagles; no Glenn, no legit Eagles

Quote Originally Posted by groupie2686 View Post
    I know that the Eagles had substituted plenty of members in their time, there are some band members in every band who are so essential they can't be replaced.
    This has become my position on the matter too. I think back to the California Jam, when Felder's wife was pregnant. They plugged in Jackson Browne to play guitar and sing backup. Had this been Glenn or Don, there's no way they'd have went on.
    Bernie or Randy...yeah they'd have replaced them too and went on, but not without Glenn or Don. The fans would have been outraged.

What troubles me is why Glenn Frey even had to be replaced if not for the Classic East/West/Northwest and massive 2018 North America Tour soon to follow and currently underway.

"Let's burn our long johns and head west" - Glenn Frey 1948-2016

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    This has become my position on the matter too. I think back to the California Jam, when Felder's wife was pregnant. They plugged in Jackson Browne to play guitar and sing backup. Had this been Glenn or Don, there's no way they'd have went on.
    Bernie or Randy...yeah they'd have replaced them too and went on, but not without Glenn or Don. The fans would have been outraged.
    I didn't even think about California Jam, but you're right, I don't think they would have gone on without Glenn or Don. Like I said before, when Glenn had his stomach surgery in 1994, they didn't get someone else to fill in for a few concerts, they rescheduled. Or, indeed, as they are doing now that Don is ill.

Border Rebel

I didn't even think about California Jam, but you're right, I don't think they would have gone on without Glenn or Don. Like I said before, when Glenn had his stomach surgery in 1994, they didn't get someone else to fill in for a few concerts, they rescheduled. Or, indeed, as they are doing now that Don is ill.
    Keep in my mind that when the Californa Jam event took place, the band was used to playing as a four piece situation so it wasn't a stretch for them to go back to that. Adding Jackson may have been nice, but IMHO his contributions to the songs I've heard from that were negligible. Piano on "Take It Easy" was different but not essential and playing acoustic guitar on one or two of the others hardly even noticeable.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
    What troubles me is why Glenn Frey even had to be replaced if not for the Classic East/West/Northwest and massive 2018 North America Tour soon to follow and currently underway.

He didn't have to be replaced. He shouldn't have been. That's all.
    Last edited by Freypower; 05-08-2018 at 02:26 AM.

Border Desperado

I didn't know that Don was Ill. What's wrong? Anything serious?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

BB - You can read more about Don's recent illness here.

Apart from the threat of a lawsuit, I think the others wouldn't have dared do the Eagles without him when he was alive. In HOTE, Timothy says that they got together in Aspen in 1990, but Glenn didn't come, so the reunion didn't happen. When Glenn had his surgery in 1994, they didn't get a temporary replacement and continue on their tour until he recovered, as some bands have done in a situation like that, they rescheduled the concerts.

I don't understand the public's acceptance of substitutes either. Isn't it the combination of people in a band that make it magic, not just the songs themselves? At least, it is for me. If the songs are all you care about it, you could go see a tribute band or to a karaoke bar and save your money. And while I know that the Eagles had substituted plenty of members in their time, there are some band members in every band who are so essential they can't be replaced.
    ITA with everything you wrote here, groupie. And, yes, as BB said, if Glenn or Don had ever been replaced when Glenn was alive, the public would have been outraged. That's why I have such a hard time wrapping my head around the acceptance of substitutes in bands in recent years. I was told by some members not too long ago that I was being disrespectful to suggest seeing a tribute band as an alternative, but I don't see it that way at all. If what someone cares about is just seeing the songs performed live, some of the tribute bands I've seen are very skilled musicians and put on an excellent performance at a reasonable cost.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I didn't know that Don was Ill. What's wrong? Anything serious?
    The word is he has a cold (as discussed in other threads); they rescheduled 3 concerts this month.

Thank you, Dreamer. I don't understand why people accept substitutes, as I said, it's the people in a band who make it special, not just the songs.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    I love Bernie, but I have to agree with Austin. I prefer Joe's extended solos in Take It Easy - they absolutely rock.

I simply do not understand the public's acceptance of substitutes for essential players in bands nowadays. There was a reason the band did not continue without Glenn until he agreed to come back for HFO - in the 90's, it would have been considered a fraud. What a difference 25 years makes.

Dreamer - I totally agree.