Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "But Seriously Folks..."

Default Celebration of "But Seriously Folks..."

I recently got this CD, and I like it. "Tomorrow" is pretty much the story of my life- I cracked up when he sang that he was spending today making a list of things to do, but he was going to do them all tomorrow. Yep, am there, doing that. I also liked "Indian Summer" - thought it had a nice melody. We all know "Life's Been Good," But as for the other four, I was just "eh" about them. They were fine, but didn't really grab me.

However, what is this "Theme from Boat Weirdos"? A joke title, or is it for a real movie? Sorry to sound so ignorant!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

As I understand it, Theme from Boat Weirdos is from the time spent on board a huge yacht which was hired by Bill Szymczyk when the recording was happening for the album. Installed in the yacht was a small studio and they would work on the tunes whilst sailing. They nicknamed themselves the Boat Weirdos (who knows what they got up to on that boat!!!) and the song which made the album from those days sailing was Theme from Boat Weirdos.

As for the album, its the first one I bought, and I really love it, it has a nice progression of songs, until of course Life's Been Good. I could never understand that one being there, doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the album. Second Hand Store and Tomorrow are probably my favourites from the album, its still one which I'll play beginning to end though and I love the album cover so much I bought the LP so I could have a big copy

Stuck on the Border

Second Hand Store is one of the most beautiful things Joe has ever done and included Felder's beautiful pedal steel.

I love both Over And Over and At The Station - in the latter the line about being like a general just relieved of command is a favourite of mine.

Indian Summer is probably one of Joe's most personal songs, and very moving.

Tomorrow may proclaim that the Lone Arranger did the arrangement but the song is rather bland and not a real showcase for anyone's talents - including Joe's, but I don't mind it. I like the instrumentals and there's probably not much left to say about the final song.

I love 'Joe Walsh appears courtesy of Joe Smith- the Asylum label boss! Appearing on your own album with the label's permission! I'm surprised it also doesn't say 'Joe Walsh appears courtesy of Glenn Frey' as this is during the protracted Long Run period.

I'm going to give it a few more listens to let it sink in more. Life's Been Good does kind of seem startling after the more laid-back, contemplative songs. Although, I guess in its own ironic way, Life's Been Good is contemplative, too!

Thanks for the explanation of Boat Weirdos, Toon.

But Seriously Folks is one of my favourite albums. My other half had a tape of it when I first met him - he'd labelled it 'But Sincerely Folks'! I bought the cd last year and often listen to it. I agree that Life's Been Good sits a little uneasily at the end, but I enjoy Joe's guitar playing in the middle, and of course now it brings back memories of last summer - sigh. I actually like all the tracks, but Indian Summer is my favourite - it's sensitive and haunting, and showcases what a range of talent this man has. The two instrumental tracks at times have a classical quality that I find quite sublime.

www.donfelderonline.com
    ~~~~~
    This way to happiness...

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Thanks for the info about the boat weirdos, Toonie. I guess I need to add But Seriously Folks to my wish list.

BTW - It's so nice to finally see a Joe avatar on the board. I love it!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

You're very welcome for the info...I always find it interesting to see how names came about....especially Joe's stuff as a lot of it is not so straight forward.

As for the av...it is a lovely picture....one of my favourites actually.

I like that photo of Joe, too. He looks so sweet and approachable.

I've been listening to But Seriously Folks... some more and it's growing on me. I'm going to have to get some more Joe! Right now the only one I have besides BSF is the Millennium Masters collection.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I'm going to have to get some more Joe!
    Well - If you're lucky, maybe you'll have another dream about him

BTW - I have the Millennium Masters Collection CD as well, and I like it a lot.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    I'm going to have to get some more Joe!
    Well - If you're lucky, maybe you'll have another dream about him
    Shoot, that Joe dream I had after making his avatars was one of the hottest dreams I've ever had in my life. He was pretty wild in it. I don't think I could handle many more of those!