Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Expando Song Survivor

Default Expando Song Survivor

Time for the Expando Song Survivor! If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview

I'm going to list the songs of Expando here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whichever song has the most prior votes is eliminated. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. And yes, it has been necessary a couple times in the past!

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

We also have immunity questions. We won't have immunity questions on the first or second-to-last-rounds, and of course we won't have them for the last round, lol. However, for the other rounds, we will.

Here's how immunity questions work. After the beginning of the round, I ask an Expando-related question. The first person who answers the question correctly gets to pick a remaining song to be immune - no one can vote for it on the next round. I'll allow two hours for someone to answer. If no one gets it right by then, then we continue the round as normal without any song being immune. You only get one guess per round, so be careful!

=====================================

GAME OVER! And the winner of Expando Song Survivor is....

PARACHUTE!

CONGRATS TO PARACHUTE!!!

Songs eliminated:
    Ella Jean 1/20
    Compassion 1/22
    Melancholy 1/24
    One More Mile 1/26
    I Don't Mind 1/28
    Downtime 1/30
    White Boy from Sacramento 2/01
    A Good Day 2/03
    Friday Night 2/05
    Secular Praise 2/07

Thanks for playing!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Default Re: Expando Song Survivor

Well, this was really hard, but after listening to the CD several times only one song didn't really grow on me. It has some good segments but as a whole, it's definitely my least favorite. So...

I cast my vote for Melancholy.

Stuck on the Border

Well, here we go. I listened to the album twice this morning and found I had to rearrange my order of the songs I wish to see eliminated twice.

The song I like least hasn't changed from when I first bought the album. I know it's very personal (see also a couple of songs on Inside Job which also happen to be my least favourites on that album) but I'm afraid the falsetto part made it my least favourite (I admit to inconsistency here because I would perhaps like that part if it were Glenn singing).

I cast my vote for Ella Jean.

I cast my vote for One More Mile.

It starts great with the E-e-e-e—e and guitar, but as soon as the vocals start it loses me. The truth is this self-proclaimed white boy from Sacramento does not have the vocals to carry off this song. And the line “one more mile” melodically reminds me of the old spiritual “Let My People Go”

A couple of other little things I don’t like – the stop after he sings “Where’m I gonna spent the night?”

To me the tambourine would sound better on the off beat, instead of on the beat.

To end on a positive note, even though I’ve critiqued the song for the purpose of the game, I don’t dislike it. In fact, IMO there’s not a stinker on the whole album.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

It's true Ella Jean is a bit simplistic, but it's also got some really nice harmonies. One More Mile is so funky and different - gets stuck in your head. Melancholy, on the other hand, is basically a guy moping around the house and whining. Its name certainly suits it. I mean any song that has the line "oh pitiful me" sung in all seriousness.... yikes!!

Melancholy has the best vocals on the album. TBS takes us through a pi** poor day. Hey, we’ve all had ‘em.

For hardcore Beatles fans, lyrically this song puts me in mind of I’m Only Sleeping.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I have to totally agree with PM about Melancholy. It is gorgeous, IMHO - one of my absolute favorites on the album. I think most of all of us have had days like this, and are able to relate to this song.

BTW - I am withholding my vote for now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border luvthelighthouse's Avatar

I am withholding my vote for now. I would like to comment on the three chosen thus far.

Melancholy... while at first listen, it could be a throw away song, but after several listens, no way! It's easy, but something we all relate too. Haven't we all had a woe is me day? One of my favorite lines on the album is from this song. "should I turn on my tv and let it do my thinking for me?" I often find myself singing lyrics from this tune. It's funny, because I just read my review of Expando and like I just mentioned, I wasn't impressed.

Ella Jean... I know this is not going to be a mass appeal song due to the intimacy of the subject. However, for me, I happen to think it's very soothing. I also enjoy the California surf sound, so this fits in perfectly. There was a time in my teens when I was huge into the Beach Boys, so I think this song brings me to a happy place.

One More Mile... while I appreciate the "washers" being played here, that's really about it. Oh, and the strong bass line is good. However, this is the one song that has a style of music I least like.

It's hard to pick ANY song to eliminate...the diversity of songs on this CD captured my imagination from the first note. I personally think this is his best solo work to date -- pure Timothy B. and I hear a great deal of his heart and soul in each song.

Going to listen again in the morning before I cast my vote....
    I just need a little downtime.........

Three votes so far... three different songs....

yes, this is gonna be an interesting game!