Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Young similarities

Border Rebel

Default Re: Neil Young similarities

I love Neil Young's music dearly, especially the earlier stuff, but I can't even begin to compare him vocally with Glenn. I fail to see any similarity whatsoever. Glenn has always had a smooth voice, full bodied. Neil's vocals seem pinched, strained and often whiny. He's a great songwriter and he certainly does his best songs justice in the vocal department, but I think the comparison between the two is baseless.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I love Neil Young's music dearly, especially the earlier stuff, but I can't even begin to compare him vocally with Glenn. I fail to see any similarity whatsoever. Glenn has always had a smooth voice, full bodied. Neil's vocals seem pinched, strained and often whiny. He's a great songwriter and he certainly does his best songs justice in the vocal department, but I think the comparison between the two is baseless.
    I wouldn't say baseless. Listen to an early song like Outlaw Man & you can hear a bit of Neil. But later on, nothing. It should be pointed out however that on a song lilke Harvest Moon, Neil is a lot less nasal than he was in younger years.

Stuck on the Border

I like Neil Young but I have to say I do not think Glenn sounds like him at all. I think Glenn's voice is so much smoother.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 09-21-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Quote Originally Posted by NightMistBlue View Post
    Agreed on all points. Neil Young would not be able to do an album of standards like Glenn did (without inflicting pain on the world).

I'm a Neil Young fan as well. I've always thought that Neil sounded like Bob Dylan's nephew or something. I really don't hear many similarities. Neil's voice is gruff and rough almost all of the time. Glenn could do a gruff Vob Seger type voice, but he had a really great smooth voice.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post

I'm a Neil Young fan as well. I've always thought that Neil sounded like Bob Dylan's nephew or something. I really don't hear many similarities. Neil's voice is gruff and rough almost all of the time. Glenn could do a gruff Vob Seger type voice, but he had a really great smooth voice.
    I disagree that Neil's voice is 'gruff & rough'. Listen to the example I used, Harvest Moon, or other ballads like Harvest itself or A Man Needs A Maid. Even on more uptempo songs like Powderfinger it's still pretty smooth. Dylan he isn't.

I fail to see any similarities between the two.......

I guess to a British ear it can sound all alike, it was really the nasal sound but definitely prefer Glenn's smooth full bodied soulful voice over the terse, strained falsetto of Neils but both are great; Glenn still and will always be the best in mind ofcourse

Wow 100th post took a while but after almost exactly three years on this forum is got there. Primarily by asking a lot of little questions about details that bugged me. I wanna thank the Border community for indulging my Eagles fascination. It's been great, now all of you take it easy or take it to the limit whatever suits your way of life
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Congrats on 100 posts, OTB74! Glad to have you here!

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    Congrats on 100 posts, OTB74! Glad to have you here!
    Thanks Pippinwhite great to be here! I love this forum it feeds my Eagles curiosity and has great opinions
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Yes, congrats - only three years - not too bad!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten