Page 1 of 41 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

Time for the Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor, where we vote off the song performances on the DVD until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview

I'm going to list all the songs performed on the DVD here. Vote for the performance that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song performance that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the one you think should GO, not the one you think should stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember... it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Once the board clock strikes 8:00 pm Eastern on the second day, no more votes will be counted for that round - even if it's only seconds after. Your votes also cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you change your mind or make a mistake. Once it's on the record, that's it - so be careful!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared. The exception is the last round. If the tiebreaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

In order to avoid voter fraud and trolling, we require that you must be "a member in good standing" as defined by the Terms of Service for at least two weeks before the start of the game in order to cast a vote.

Congratulation to the winner of this Survivor Game ...

Get Over It

Performances Eliminated:

The Girl from Yesterday 10/23
    Learn to Be Still 10/25
    New York Minute 10/27
    The Last Resort 10/29
    Love Will Keep Us Alive 10/31
    Help Me Through the Night 11/02
    The Heart of the Matter 11/04
    Wasted Time 11/06
    Hotel California 11/08
    In the City 11/10
    Pretty Maids All in a Row 11/12
    Desperado 11/14
    I Can't Tell You Why 11/16
    Tequila Sunrise 11/18
    Life in the Fast Lane 11/20
    Take It Easy 11/22

Thanks for playing.

GAME OVER!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over DVD Survivor Game

I vote The Girl From Yesterday.

None of the four new tracks on HFO are particularly amazing, but this is the worst of any song on the DVD. Sorry Glenn fans!

Stuck on the Border

I'm going to kick off before going to bed. I've decided I'm going for the best band performance. Of course, it's easier to give a good performance if the song is good, too.

My first choice is a no-brainer. It's essentially a rather dull, solo effort masquerading as a new Eagles song. Don sings, the tune is monotonous and the rest of the band just sits there strumming. It gets a slight boost because of the humour of Don forgetting the words but it's not enough.

Learn to be Still

Stuck on the Border

Given that we are voting on the quality of the performance rather than the quality of the song....

I will say one thing. I suspect the song I think should be voted off first will be extremely popular & will probably last a long time. So there is no point in wasting my vote.

I vote for New York Minute. It epitomises what the main problem with this DVD is; that for long stretches it is hardly more than The Don Henley Show. Most of the band have nothing to do (a few shots of Glenn playing keyboards notwithstanding) & it isn't an Eagles song, which is the only reason I decided on it rather than The Last Resort, which at least involves the rest of the band towards the end.

I vote for The Girl From Yesterday.

Its kinda boring and I always fast forward my DVD when this song comes up. Great vocals by Don and Glenn. Nice guitar solo by Joe and great steel guitar by Don F, but other than that. The rest of the band is doing absolutely nothing during this song. They just standing there looking pretty even though that's not a bad thing. No 5 part harmony they are known for in this song.

I know their are other songs on the DVD just like this one where majority of the band isn't doing anything, but this song I just don't like. I love country music, but sorry Glenn. Not a good song for you.

I vote for Hotel California - this version is boring, does nothing for the song and the guitars at the end really annoy me !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UTW - I agree with you that the version of Learn to be still is a bit dull on this DVD but I really like this song. I like to just listen to the guitars strumming along - its a nice chillaxing song to listen to
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Troubadour

I will clarify that I voted for TGFY broadly for the reasons shun above does, even live it is bland and uninspiring. Usually any song with steel pedal is a winner for me but even that doesn't save it!

Border Desperado

My Vote- THE GIRL FROM YESTERDAY

I do love the HFO DVD but this song not so much. I just prefer to skip this one to me, it does not do Glenn justice.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I will clarify that I voted for TGFY broadly for the reasons shun above does, even live it is bland and uninspiring. Usually any song with steel pedal is a winner for me but even that doesn't save it!
    I was one of the few people on this board who did see it in concert. In fact I have seen it twice because Glenn played it at the Sydney Opera House last year & I didn't find it bland & uninsipring at all. Glenn only has three lead vocals on this DVD, the same number as Joe. It's bad enough as it is without votes for this song so soon.

And ZK having just seen your post... none of Glenn's three leads on this DVD do him justice. But his fans have to take what they can.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I didn't find it bland & uninsipring at all. Glenn only has three lead vocals on this DVD, the same number as Joe. It's bad enough as it is without votes for this song so soon.
    Whereas I do, and as per the OP, I may vote on whatever grounds of the performance I so wish. I will agree with the point on the number of Glenn vocals though.