Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Vocal harmony conbination variations

I'm not sure why they would do that when they had/have so many great singers.

Both Glenn & Don have harmonised with themselves in their solo careers, but that isn't what you asked. I suppose the closest I can think of is King Of Hollywood, but that is Don & Glenn both singing the same part, although Glenn sings in a higher register.

Border Troubadour

I always thought Good Day in Hell sounded like there was always more than one person winging it at any point, although Glenn is credited with lead. The BBC 1973 version of Out of Control also has Don and Glenn harmonising throughout.

Re: picking out individual voices - on the Washington 1977 DVD you can pick out Felder at the end of NKIT, and Joe very, very clearly during 'spent my life running round' in TITTL.

Stuck on the Border

I knew I'd read something about recording the vocals recently:
    The Eagles's background and harmony vocals were stacked on two or three tracks, panned modestly at about eight and four o'clock. They were always recorded ensemble, around a single microphone. "The great thing about them was that they really could sing and they could connect with each other as they sang. But it was also the most tedious part, because when you have four voices on one track, that's four chances for one to make a mistake. Sometimes we'd do the same phrase for three hours to get it right."
    http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov0...s/szymczyk.htm

In the early days, they were keen to only record what they could perform live, so I assume that philosophy extended to the the vocals.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I always thought Good Day in Hell sounded like there was always more than one person winging it at any point, although Glenn is credited with lead. The BBC 1973 version of Out of Control also has Don and Glenn harmonising throughout.

Re: picking out individual voices - on the Washington 1977 DVD you can pick out Felder at the end of NKIT, and Joe very, very clearly during 'spent my life running round' in TITTL.
    GDIH is Glenn & Don, but the question was did they ever have one person do both lead & harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    GDIH is Glenn & Don, but the question was did they ever have one person do both lead & harmony.
    Another great question! I'm sure if they did, then someone here will come up with the song title(s)!!

On "Most of Us Are Sad," is that Glenn singing harmony on the verse starting with "Love was here today"?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    On "Most of Us Are Sad," is that Glenn singing harmony on the verse starting with "Love was here today"?
    The harmony in that verse sounds more like Don to me.

Another one; in Bitter Creek, I only hear Glenn & Randy in the harmonies (listen to the repetition of the lines 'all that money' & 'no more running'. Glenn is in the left channel & Randy in the right. If Don is there, I can't hear him).

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    I can almost always pick out Don's voice, but I have a question for those that know more then me ~ did the Eagles ever have the same person sing both the melody and harmony on the same recording, one band member harmonizing with himself, you know what I mean? They could record the two vocals at different times and then overlay them, I know other musicians who do that. On what songs, if they did that? Anybody know?
    A lot of songs sung by Randy. Certain Kind Of Fool for example.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I think they're all in there

I'm pretty sure Don did that on "Hotel California." The line "and still those voices are calling from far away" is Don on lead and harmony. Though live, as we've seen, Randy and Glenn join in.