Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Default Re: Celebration of "The Long Run"!

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post

I just was listening to the title track and had never noticed Tim's bassline. Wow, I think it's my favorite. Love how it grooves. Reminds me of Motown. When you get a chance, take a listen.
    I agree with you and Mary both - the bassline in this song is amazing!

I love this album because it was one of the first albums I bought as a kid with my own money. Anyone remember Columbia House Record Club? The Long Run and The first Greatest Hits were two of the albums I got.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I put on some Bose noise-canceling headphones and listened, it's funny how a good pair of headphones changes what you hear. The bass is so prominent, how have I not noticed it before? I think Don's singing and the interesting lead guitar are where your ears automatically go. Funky Timmy Schmit.

Definitely!! Headphones are amazing...listening to old vinyl with great headphones is out of this world for hearing things I would never have heard otherwise. I was listen to Led Zeppelin's "Rock And Roll" the other night and I would have never guessed it had that many guitar fills or pieces in it! Definitely more going on than the main guitar riff and drum intro.

I too love Those Shoes, and the bass really drives it. I think you like bass-heavy songs, Austin! Can we talk about that little "vocal interlude" - I don't know what to call it, around "they give you tablets of love" - is it TBS and Glenn? Where did it come from? Why is it there? Whose idea was it? I love it. Funky Eagles.

I definitely love bass and songs with a prominent or driving bassline. I'm more of a rhythm guitarist than a lead guitarist (although I do play both), truth be told and I am all about heavy chunk in rock n' roll rhythm guitar and riffs and chords and I love the strong basslines. And in smoother songs, the bass line has to groove. The drums and bass are what makes a song danceable or headbang-able! The rhythm section is an often overlooked but important part. And rhythm guitarists generally don't get enough praise because of being overshadowed by the lead guitarists. Malcolm Young is a great example. Everyone focuses on Angus (and I do love Angus) but Malcolm was the engine of the Rock N' Roll Train that is AC/DC.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I put on some Bose noise-canceling headphones and listened, it's funny how a good pair of headphones changes what you hear. The bass is so prominent, how have I not noticed it before? I think Don's singing and the interesting lead guitar are where your ears automatically go. Funky Timmy Schmit.

I too love Those Shoes, and the bass really drives it. I think you like bass-heavy songs, Austin! Can we talk about that little "vocal interlude" - I don't know what to call it, around "they give you tablets of love" - is it TBS and Glenn? Where did it come from? Why is it there? Whose idea was it? I love it. Funky Eagles.
    It's the bridge. It's a standard part of a song (another example is the 'mirrors on the ceiling' section in Hotel California). I would guess, as usual in this period, Henley wrote the words & Glenn probably the music (and yes, I know Felder has a writing credit. Please don't ask me to try & attribute any of it to him).

Lyrically, the bridge is typically used to pause and reflect on the earlier portions of the song or to prepare the listener for the climax. The term may also refer to the section between the verse and the chorus, though this is more commonly called the pre-chorus or link.

Bridge (music) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is TBS & Glenn doing the harmonies in this part.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Thanks, FP. Love hearing just Glenn and Timothy singing together. I guess it's the style in which they sing those lines I'm interested in, they sound like cool cats. I won't ask you to explain Felder's contributions to the songwriting!!!!

So, how is "Mirrors on the Ceiling" different from "On a dark desert highway" and "Her mind is Tiffany-twisted"? I thought it was just the first lines to the next verse, why is it considered a bridge?

Stuck on the Border

I think you are right. For some reason I always thought of it that way because that's where the song changes gear after the second chorus. I have a correct example now. New Kid In Town; the 'there's so many things you should have told her' section. Sorry about that!

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Yeah, no worries,this makes me think it would be cool to have a thread where we diagram Eagles' songs, so that we could try to identify the different parts of the songs.

Way late I know ~ but HAPPY 35TH ANNIVERSARY LONG RUN!
    ~Sara

Happy 36th Birthday to The Long Run.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Happy 36th birthday to The Long Run
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I just was listening to the title track and had never noticed Tim's bassline. Wow, I think it's my favorite. Love how it grooves. Reminds me of Motown. When you get a chance, take a listen.
    Vocals wise, I've always preferred Randy but Tim and Don really gelled as a great rhythm section on The Long Run album.

One of my favourite 80s bands was David Lindley's, El-Rayo -X (pronounced ikkiss). They had a great tune with a similar bass-line to The Long Run titled, Turning Point; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huKR6c0MgHw

It was no surprise to learn that The Long Run was based (no pun intended) on Tyrone Davis's original;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5LXTNvJ38w

THE LONG RUN
    GLENN: We’d had the idea for about six or seven years. The title of the song was apropos, and it seemed to be a good title for the album — let’s see who’ll last. I think it was a lot about longevity, and it was also about me just lovin’ Tyrone Davis’ record “Turning Point.” We had done some slicker production like the Philly sound, but “Long Run” was more like a tribute to Memphis with the slide guitars playing the parts of the horns.
    They all share that great bass line groove