Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Alan Frey Interviews with John Beaudin

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Alan Frey Interviews with John Beaudin

Quote Originally Posted by Pippinwhite View Post
    It has to be hard to want to do the music thing like your very famous sibling, but you're NOT your sibling. Mike McCartney, Paul's little brother, found that out, too. Talent like that doesn't often visit the same family more than once. It can happen, obviously, but it's not frequent.
    Mick Jagger's brother too, and Paul Simon's brother. Not to mention everyone's kid who tries to follow Dad (or Mom) into what they wish could be the family business.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I agree with UTW that a skilled interviewer should provide some structure for an unskilled interviewee so that he's not just rambling random thoughts. Maybe the remaining interviews will be better. I thought the first one was somewhat better than the second, but still ...

And I agree that I don't think many of us can understand and appreciate what it takes to make it in the entertainment industry as a whole. We tend to think it's easy as long as you have talent, but it takes a lot more than that. As the old saying goes, 'the cream rises to the top'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks for that GL! Interesting!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I think it’s so cool that Glenn’s brother was partly influenced to do this interview by watching Mr. Beaudin’s interview of Randy.

Quote Originally Posted by New Kid In Town View Post
    Hi Pippin -That is his youngest brother Matt. He is discussed in a thread "The Third Brother". I remember reading somewhere that Alan went on tour with the Eagles when he was 18 working as a roadie. Glenn found out he was using coke and freaked out on him. There is a story somewhere in the threads about it. His brother Matt used to have a FB site for his band. They had a video where you could hear them play. They did not sound too good.
    I would not be surprised if what you said is why Alan was so unsettled for 15 years. According to the story I read where Alan gave a short statement when Glenn passed, he works as a mechanic.
    I read that thread too awhile back and I remember it a little differently. Someone close to the family shared some memories about their younger days. Glenn’s brother was part of the Eagles road crew in L.A. but by the time he got back to Michigan he was addicted to coke. So it seems Glenn would have known he was using (?). I don’t want to say too much in case I get the brothers mixed up but there was an altercation in the home involving the brothers and the cops were called. A family dispute issue kind of thing.

Anyway, something that stuck in my mind was this family friend saying Randy was the nicest member of the Eagles. When the band were visiting Glenn’s family in Michigan, Randy helped the younger guys with a home movie.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Anyway, something that stuck in my mind was this family friend saying Randy was the nicest member of the Eagles. When the band were visiting Glenn’s family in Michigan, Randy helped the younger guys with a home movie.
    Oh, now I remember! Was that Matt? He said Randy took an interest in what they were doing.

Back to the John B interview: I haven't listened to part 2, but what's neat about John's relaxed, conversational style is that you get details that you wouldn't ordinarily get. Thus, the interview with Randy covers everything from his relationship with the other Eagles to antique shopping with his wife and feeding the deer that wander into his yard. Charming digressions that reveal unexpected things.

Wish I could have had a long talk with Mrs. Frey before she passed to find out how often she threatened to strangle any/all of those boys. LOLOL.
    She got divorced with a baby son in a time when that Was Not Done, which tells me she was a strong-minded lady. But when you have boys, you have to be willing to knock some heads together.
    I know Glenn was close to his parents -- apparently, he assumed responsibility for their care, since Mrs. Frey passed in a retirement home in L.A. But his cousin, who's posted on here before, also said he paid for their grandmother's care in a nursing home.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I think it’s so cool that Glenn’s brother was partly influenced to do this interview by watching Mr. Beaudin’s interview of Randy.
    I read that thread too awhile back and I remember it a little differently. Someone close to the family shared some memories about their younger days. Glenn’s brother was part of the Eagles road crew in L.A. but by the time he got back to Michigan he was addicted to coke. So it seems Glenn would have known he was using (?). I don’t want to say too much in case I get the brothers mixed up but there was an altercation in the home involving the brothers and the cops were called. A family dispute issue kind of thi.
    The guy who told the story was a childhood friend of Matt Frey. He talked about them making the movie in the Frey basement and them being together in a band. If I remember right, the guy said Alan pawned guitars belonging to Glenn. They got in a fight and the police were called. I can't remember if it was over the guitars. The guy talked about how nice Randy was. It's been a long time since I read the thread.

@NKIT -- Pawning guitars would definitely be enough to cause a fight. Ouch.

Part 3 is up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJebBdQweec[/ame]

Brothers for life. RIP Glenn

I'm not sure I believe in fate, but I know that crossing paths with Glenn Lewis Frey in 1970 changed my life forever, and it eventually had an impact on the lives of millions of other people all over the planet. It will be very strange going forward in a world without him in it. But, I will be grateful, every day, that he was in my life. Rest in peace, my brother. You did what you set out to do, and then some." -Don Henley

Thanks for posting, Shun! Yeah, Alan said what I've said a LOT about all the nasty posts: these guys were in their 20s, trying to handle that level of fame and the responsibilities, and it's not easy to do. As he said, "It's not the most mature age." And you say and do things when you're young and stupid that you wouldn't say/do when you're 45. Especially when you're young, stupid and doing WAY too much cocaine. That didn't help.

Hats off to John Beaudin for emphasizing he's not going to get into all the bashing on his channel. I know fans for all the bands he spotlights appreciate that.