Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Billboard Action

Default Billboard Action

For the week ending tomorrow in 1982, the Billboard Hot 100 singles charts show the Eagles still making their presence known, despite the band's break-up. Don Henley's first appearance as a solo artist results in 3 different Eagles on the charts at the same time:
    Don-"Johnny Can't Read" enters at #80 (peaks at #43);
    Randy-"Never Been in Love" #50 (peaks at #28 )
    Glenn-"The One You Love" enters at #87 (peaks at #15); "I Found Somebody" #91 (peaked at #31).

Timothy ups the ante the following month when his "So Much in Love" enters the Hot 100 which makes 4 different Eagles on the charts at once. Quite impressive in my view and to my knowledge it doesn't happen again. This shows the breadth of talent in the group and makes me curious if this has happened with other bands (the Beatles maybe?).

http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-100/1982-08-21

Banned

Default Re: Billboard Action

I bought about a dozen records from that chart! about 20 if you include album tracks. I wouldn't even say it's an especially good chart.

Genesis and Peter Gabriel were 1 and 2 in the album charts, around 1987 with So and Invisible Touch, just over a decade after they went their separate ways. Yhat's not even mentioning all Phil Collins' hits and Mike And The Mechanics.

Joe Walsh saw some chart action in the early eighties too with Life Of illusion and All Night Long. I'm not sure about Space Age Whiz Kids, with it's cheapo video and I Can Play that Rock'n'Roll with the vid of Joe trashing his hotel room. His cover of Love Letters was the single in the UK. I don't think it charted. I've also got a Walsh single, Waffle Stomp (c/w Things) which was on the Fast Times At Ridgemount High soundtrack along with Tim's, So Much In Love, Don H's, Love Rules and Don F's, Never Surrender.

In the UK, Don had major hits with Boys Of Summer and The End Of The Innocence and a lesser hit with Sunset Grill. Glenn's The Heat Is On was massive.

It didn't have any chart success but Journey Of the Sorcerer found 80s fame as the Radio and TV theme to BBC's Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Yes, Genesis and the Beatles (and possibly other bands) definitely saw multiple members go on to varying levels of solo success (chart-wise speaking). The main point of my post is that a couple of different Eagles charted at the same time.

You are correct that other Eagles made the charts during the '80s:

1980- Joe "All Night Long" #19; Randy "Deep Inside My Heart" #22
    1981- Joe "A Life of Illusion" #31; Randy "Hearts on Fire" #19; Don F "Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)" #43
    1982 discussed above; plus Don H "Dirty Laundry" #3
    1983 Joe "Space Age Whiz Kids" #52; Glenn "All Those Lies" #41; Don H "I Can't Stand Still" #48
    1984-85 Glenn and Don H had 9 charted singles between them (I will list if anyone is interested)
    1986-87 Timothy had a #25 hit with "Boys' Night Out" in '87
    1988 Glenn "True Love" #13
    1989 Don H "The End of the Innocence" #8 and "The Last Worthless Evening" #21; Glenn "Livin' Right" #90; Randy (as lead vocal) "Nothin' to Hide" by Poco #39
    Various other singles were released and either didn't chart or didn't make the top 100. I was planning to address solo albums next month when another bit of a milestone occurs.

Reviewing these 80s charts definitely took me back down memory lane!
    Last edited by Delilah; 08-22-2016 at 12:53 AM.

Border Desperado

Just from their solo stuff, I could see 3 really good 80's Eagles albums, not to mention the stuff they'd have been collaborating on!!! Shame.

Stuck on the Border

Regarding Genesis & Gabriel, Sledgehammer replaced Invisible Touch at #1 on the singles charts, so that is 'at the same time'.

Thank you for the info, Freypower. I figured there would be some similar examples. I'm still inclined to believe no one had more than the Eagles, except possibly the Beatles.

What do you folks think of Heavy Metal(Taking a Ride)? I never listend to it

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    What do you folks think of Heavy Metal(Taking a Ride)? I never listend to it
    It's a decent song. Henley & possibly Schmit sing backup on it.

Banned

Heavy Metal is a Long Run Leftover. It's better than Disco Strangler imho. I'd love to hear the Eagles version of it. I'm sure the addition of Joe Walsh and a top notch lead singer, along with the Henley / Schmit rhythm section, would give it some extra appeal.

It's not up with Heartache Tonight, Life's Been Good or Life In The Fast Lane but Heavy Metal would have been a welcome, up tempo number, to add to the Eagles set list.

Felder's other song from the Heavy Metal Soundtrack, All Of You is one of his better tunes too. I suspect that that was also a Long Run Leftover.

Heavy Metal (Takin' A Ride)
    https://vk.com/video116561839_164513085

Sorry for going off topic Delilah. Eagles and Genesis could host a top notch festival all by themselves. Their chart statistics are fair but they really can cut it live in concert.

Stuck on the Border

The solo members of Genesis (apart from Banks, sadly,and Phillips) not only continued to have solo success through the 80s but Genesis did too; they didn't break up until 1998. Hackett may not have had chart hits but he was very prolific & a big name on the prog scene. Most of the ex-Eagles did not have similar chart success. Schmit wase never sighted on the charts again after 1982 & I don't think Felder made the charts at all; neither did Leadon. Meisner pretty much disappeared after One More Song. And while Glenn had a couple of top 10 hits he never sold many albums. Joe's albums became less & less successful as his problems deepened.

Realistically a festival featuring former members of these bands could only feature Henley, Frey, Walsh, Gabriel, Collins & Rutherford with the Mechanics and possibly Hackett depending on the type of audience. That's not a bad lineup.
    Last edited by Freypower; 08-23-2016 at 06:54 PM.