Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hotel California

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: Hotel California

I like austins idea about the book but I was wondering with all the drugs and stuff in the begininig do you think maybe some of it is a blurr to them???
    Just asking what anybody thinks

This is my favorite eagles song. dont know why it just takes me to places. I think its true people read too much into it sometimes. I mean who would want a bubble gum song when you can have some depth like this':"Pink champoagne on ice ,,,we are all just prisinors here of our own device"

I just love the music and DH"S voice when he sings this song although Melboure is becoming my fave version cause I think Dons voice has deepened over time.
    Any way jmo

Out on the Border

No doubt,This song is really famous and whenever I am I can hear this music playing. I still don't know the meaning of this song but some says that this song is about demons. Anyone here can give the real meaning of this song?

I sometimes wonder if songwriters wait to hear each listener's interpretation & then just pick the ones that sound coolest...
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

I thought the song was open to interpretation, but Don did say once that the Steely knives were a reference to the band Steely Dan, as I think they once referred to the Eagles in one of their songs, but I don't remember which one, does anyone know??

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    I thought the song was open to interpretation, but Don did say once that the Steely knives were a reference to the band Steely Dan, as I think they once referred to the Eagles in one of their songs, but I don't remember which one, does anyone know??
    Steely Dan referred to the Eagles in a song called Everything You Did. The line is 'turn up the Eagles, the neighbours are listening'.

Thanks FP. I like that line!!!

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Along with Stairway to Heaven and American Pie...this is one of the songs that I have been "schooled in" by a guy/bf explaining the "meaning"

Anyone want to talk about the construction of the guitar intro? Someone please refresh my memory of who Felder was calling home to get to play it on the cassette recorder over the phone (his wife or the cleaning lady??)

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Sadler View Post
    Along with Stairway to Heaven and American Pie...this is one of the songs that I have been "schooled in" by a guy/bf explaining the "meaning"

Anyone want to talk about the construction of the guitar intro? Someone please refresh my memory of who Felder was calling home to get to play it on the cassette recorder over the phone (his wife or the cleaning lady??)
    It was the 'housekeeper' which is a more inflated title than 'cleaning lady'.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Ack..."housekeeper" does sound a little more dignified...
    Coming from someone who started out as an "instructional assistant" (coughTeacher'sAidecough)...

I'm just reviving this thread because I was wondering a couple things about the guitar solo, and I thought, who better to ask than Austin.

On the original recording, when Joe starts his part, you can hear the 'zip' sound at the end of the lick as his fingers run up the strings. My question is, is that acceptable? I feel silly even asking; this is one of the greatest guitar players playing on one of the greatest songs. But I just wondered if that is something that as a player you work to eliminate, or is it perfectly okay, and just considered part of the style of playing.

The other thing I notice is that when they play the part at the very end - the part Don F credits Joe for in the doc - the Da da da Da da da Da da da Da da da...on the original recording when they play that the second time it sounds to me pretty much the same as the first. But in almost every other incarnation of the song I've seen/heard, the second one has a very definite slide to it, if slide is the correct term. Do you know what I mean, and is it in the original and I'm just not hearing it, or is it something they've incorporated into it afterward?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.