Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20 Feet from Stardom

Default Re: 20 Feet from Stardom

I want to see this documentary.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Same here, sounds interesting!

And wow, can that woman in Gimme Shelter belt it out! Very sad about her baby though.....
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Yes, I saw it a few months ago. I enjoyed it for the most part, though I could have done with about 5 minutes less of both the Waters' and Lisa. For me, the best part by far was Merrie Clayton's description of getting the call in the middle of the night for Gimme Shelter. Pregnant, night dress, and hair in curlers, and she went to the studio like that. She lost the baby after she returned home that night - perhaps because of how hard she strained singing her classic lines, but I don't think the documentary mentioned that. Anyway, the best part is when they play the feed just from her mic, I had never heard it - gave me chills!! So cool. Mick had said, "you want to try it again?" and she was like, "oh yeah, I'll do it again - check THIS out!" Classic.

Sad parts about those young singers who sang lead on a song and then the studios put out the songs under another artist's name, and the original singer would hear themselves on the radio!! Also the part about singing on Sweet Home Alabama was moving. Bottom line is it doesn't matter how good of a singer you are, there are intangible qualities necessary to be a star. I'm curious to see how Judith Hill fares, she is exceptionally beautiful and a great singer.
    Mary, you summed this up perfectly! Pretty much how I felt about the documentary.

If anyone loved this documentary, you should now watch "Muscle Shoals" That was an excellent documentary in the same genre as this one, maybe just a tad bit better.