Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPL Center, Allentown, PA - 9/12/2014

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default PPL Center, Allentown, PA - 9/12/2014

This is a quick review, I'm not even sure the concert is over yet.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/musi...medium=twitter

ETA: He missed the last encore
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Default Re: PPL Center, Allentown, PA - 9/12/2014

A play-by-play, so to speak, of the concert:

http://live.mcall.com/Event/Allentow..._opening_night
    VK

THAT was quick!
    I just need a little downtime.........

Border Troubadour prayfordaylight's Avatar

We don't fool around here. I've already been home for 20 minutes. Love having a big time arena only ten minutes away. Going to arena shows around here growing up meant an hour plus drive to Philly, north Jersey or NYC.

Will do a full review later or in the morning. Need a shower first - it was a little sweaty up front tonight.

That being said, an INCREDIBLE show and a hell of a way to christen the new arena.
    -Ali

You can see the stars and still not see the light.

PFD, high marks to the Allentown newspaper/media for outstanding coverage all day today. I've been following The Morning Call and 69 News online.
    I just need a little downtime.........

Okay, I need to do this tonight because I don't want to forget anything.

As Cynd mentioned, there's been great local media coverage via the Allentown Morning Call and WFMZ TV. The opening has also made the Philly media as well.

I mentioned in the pre-anticipation thread that I was taking my dad with me tonight - first Eagles concert but a big Joe fan from seeing the James Gang WAY back in the day. He had a work dinner and left early. We worried about trying to find parking close to showtime (apparently there was more than enough - allaying the fears of many). Instead we had my stepmother drive us downtown and we hopped out two blocks from the arena. The atmosphere was electric the second we hit Hamilton Street (the main drag through the city). There were people everywhere and lots of police to keep it safe (downtown Allentown doesn't have the best track record - one thing they're hoping the arena helps).

There are several new restaurants that were built alongside the arena. Those that were open and the many others lining Hamilton were all packed with people attending tonight. Having both eaten earlier, we opted to go in. A quick bag check and ticket scan and we were in. If you know the economic devastation suffered by the Lehigh Valley for decades after the steel crash, seeing this beautiful new arena in the middle of the city is an incredible sight. It's gorgeous and was getting rave reviews from tonight's attendees. There are a large variety of food stands and beer vendors throughout. There's also a large restaurant with several food stations to try.

Getting to the arena closer to showtime had one MAJOR benefit - we left the concourse to get to our seats just as JD was wrapping up (THANK GOODNESS). I got super lucky in the AmEx presale and scored 9th row seats on Joe's side. The seats were packed in super tight but it didn't matter with the great view we had.

Security was tight - cracking down on cell phones before the show. I sent one last text and the man behind me was warning me to put it away. I told him I'm a veteran and I know the cell phone rules. My phone stayed put until Desperado. No one nearby got kicked out but there were some very stern warnings during the night - especially to the a-hole behind me who left the flash on on his tablet. How rude! The ushers looked over and several of us immediately pointed in his direction.

They again had the raffle for the signed guitar tonight. Not many takers in my area because HELLO everyone has a copy of 71-75! I have 3 back in VA. I don't need a 4th for anything.

The boys came out a few minutes late. Glenn started signaling to someone off the stage and then Don spoke up. The lights in the luxury boxes were still on despite all the others being dimmed. Don said "The show starts when those are turned off." They were off seconds later. Glenn wore the blue shirt (AGAIN) and Don was in his typical light plaid. They were welcomed with huge applause and they welcomed us to our new arena. Timothy would do the same later on.

Several concert venues have been built in the valley in the last few years and people here are SO appreciative to not have to go to Philly or New York to see big name bands anymore. The Eagles are one of the biggest acts to come here and the crowd let them know. They were hootin' and hollerin' all night (in a good way), standing ovations on most of the songs and singing along to every word. The crowd definitely made the show better and elevated the band.

Obviously no set list changes. Glenn seemed a little subdued during the acoustic set and I thought he might still be sick but he only took a few sips and wiped his nose once and that was it for the night. Everyone else seemed to be in fine form. Glenn seemed to wake up when Already Gone started and kept his energy up from there.

Glenn changed to a plaid shirt for the second set. Don might have changed shirts but his all blend together for me. Joe stayed in the same outfit all night. Timothy was in a black t-shirt for the first set and switched to a lovely black and white button down for the second half.

Trying to remember other random things. Glenn was having ear monitor issues off and on all night. During Lyin Eyes he had to yell off stage because his mix was too loud. He seemed to have similar issues during Desperado and one other song I can't remember. Speaking of Lyin Eyes, he did NOT do the plaintiff joke. Having not been subjected to it, I told it to my dad anyway.

Glenn also got a huge applause when talking about his dad's family being from Nazareth (about 20 minutes away) and that he had been visiting the valley since he was 5. His aunt and several cousins were in attendance. He talked about them when he played Bethlehem solo 2 years ago and they were there that night as well.

Don sounded great all night except for one little crack at the beginning of Desperado. Timothy was smooth as always and got a huge reception for his songs. Joe is very popular here so of course he got a lot of affection. Life's Been Good started out a little hairy but got on course quickly. His solos were on fire all night - especially In The City. Best version I've ever heard. Joe and Glenn had great interplay before Funk 49. Their back and forth went on for longer than usual and had the crowd in hysterics. It was not cool to tease us with the opening riff of Walk Away though!

As usual, the crowd was fooled by the Doolin Dalton/Desperado reprise but they caught on quickly. People around me realized I knew the setlist and were asking me if/when songs were played. The woman next to me was freaking out late in the show that TIE hadn't been played yet. I assured her it was in the encore.

Sorry for this review being all over the place. Just trying to remember things as they come. My dad absolutely LOVED the show. He found it incredible that they managed to sound exactly like 40 year old records. I reminded him that the boys work very hard on that and take great pride in it. Ran into several people we knew at the show and all of them loved it. The reviews so far have been universally great (at least from what I've seen). The boys were in top form and the crowd frequently and loudly showed their appreciation.

I'm so glad they took some time out from major cities to come play our small Pennsylvania one (it's 3rd largest in the state but still...). With the bevy of venues, more and more artists are realizing Allentown is an easy stop between Philly and NYC. Getting big name artists to come to the valley is a BIG DEAL here and hopefully with the reception tonight, they'll be back again soon.
    -Ali

Stuck on the Border

Thanks for the lengthy writeup. I know that feeling of needing to write it all down before you forget.

Meanwhile, here's another newspaper review:
    http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/l...912-story.html

-Ali

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Wonderful review, pfd! I'm glad you and your Dad enjoyed the show! How nice of you to take him! I bet he was just amazed!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

VK