View Poll Results: Should Don be inducted into the RnR HoF?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 88.89%
  • No

0 0%
  • Don’t know/undecided

2 11.11%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Don be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?

Default Re: Should Don be inducted into the RnR Hall of Fame?

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Joe's solo career was big too. People might not know Funk 49 or Walk Away but I don't know anybody who doesn't know Rocky Mountain Way or Life's Been Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    The fact of the matter is that, although very 'hip', Joe never had a Top 10 solo hit and had only four Top 40 hits – the highest of which reached #12 (LBG).
    Jimmy Fox and Dale Peters say "hello"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

SS - Forgive me for being dense, but I'm not sure exactly what point you were trying to make with your post. But to clarify my comment that you quoted, I was talking about Joe's solo career only, not his James Gang or Eagles work. However, according to Wikipedia, the James Gang was only moderately successful, which I agree about - they never even had a Top 40 single. Another example about how public perceptions can be swayed by the 'hipness' factor, I guess.

To me, the biggest problem the R&R HOF induction process is that it is so subjective and they don't clearly define their eligibility requirements. The criteria for an artist is defined as follows:

Artists—a group encompassing performers, composers and/or musicians—become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first commercial recording. Besides demonstrating unquestionable musical excellence and talent, inductees will have had a significant impact on the development, evolution and preservation of rock & roll.

Here are a couple of interesting links about the process:

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/Induction_Criteria.php

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/blo...e_process.html

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Sun View Post
    Jimmy Fox and Dale Peters say "hello"
    Not sure what you are trying to say, perhaps try being more specific.

Still, the point stands firmly most people have heard and would know of RMW and LBG if you referenced them and not everyone heard the James Gang stuff.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    It's unfortunate that for some, it is not good enough to say "Don deserves it." They have to add, "And Glenn DOESN'T!!! He's nothing compared to DON!!!"
    This is very true. I feel sorry for those people. They need to take a listen to Glenn's solo works and not just base him off of THIO or YBTTC or SB.

The fact is, Glenn held his own with Don in every regard. People that always cheered louder for Don than they did for Glenn during the introduction at Eagles concerts really bothered me. Without Glenn asking Don, and the fact Glenn was the bandleader, they wouldn't be there. Glenn was every bit as good a singer and songwriter as Don. Anyone who tries to dismiss that is viewing it with rose colored glasses, IMO. I felt that they were lucky they had two equally great vocalists.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

This is very true. I feel sorry for those people. They need to take a listen to Glenn's solo works and not just base him off of THIO or YBTTC or SB.

The fact is, Glenn held his own with Don in every regard. People that always cheered louder for Don than they did for Glenn during the introduction at Eagles concerts really bothered me. Without Glenn asking Don, and the fact Glenn was the bandleader, they wouldn't be there. Glenn was every bit as good a singer and songwriter as Don. Anyone who tries to dismiss that is viewing it with rose colored glasses, IMO. I felt that they were lucky they had two equally great vocalists.
    I personally would hold both in equal terms but most casual fans usually prefer the songs don sings to Glenn’s. Don was more out there, as people have been saying “more hip” etc. many people don’t know the full story of the eagles, and people are allowed to believe Don is better than Glenn and vice versa. I have a healthy apprection of both solo careers but I don’t think it’s a concrete fact that they are equal. Some people disagree and maybe they are wrong but I don’t think it’s fair to criticize those who believe one is better if you know what I mean

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    I personally would hold both in equal terms but most casual fans usually prefer the songs don sings to Glenn’s. Don was more out there, as people have been saying “more hip” etc. many people don’t know the full story of the eagles, and people are allowed to believe Don is better than Glenn and vice versa. I have a healthy apprection of both solo careers but I don’t think it’s a concrete fact that they are equal. Some people disagree and maybe they are wrong but I don’t think it’s fair to criticize those who believe one is better if you know what I mean
    This is a huge generalisation. You can say that you think this, but that does not make it true.

My own view is that Don had a more successful solo career than Glenn. This is not how I feel about their respective solo work.

It is not a question of saying that people are not allowed to think Don was 'better' or preferred his music or whatever. It is about the casual dismissal of Glenn's work by so many people, whether 'fans' or critics.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    This is a huge generalisation. You can say that you think this, but that does not make it true.

My own view is that Don had a more successful solo career than Glenn. This is not how I feel about their respective solo work.

It is not a question of saying that people are not allowed to think Don was 'better' or preferred his music or whatever. It is about the casual dismissal of Glenn's work by so many people, whether 'fans' or critics.
    I think that in the later part of the band, Which is the more popular part of the band history, Don Henley dominated the band for better or worse. And because of that many people associate that era with don. This is what I believe. Obviously I can be wrong and generalizations don’t cover everyone as well but I think it’s safe to associate the more popular part of the band with Don Henley. (I am not saying they did better because of don but rather he just happened to take the lead during that time). I don’t think people who go to eagles concerts dismiss Glenn’s work towards the band but a lot of times they have their preferences. I’m not sure when I say something it gets mistaken as me asserting it’s fact. I don’t know more than anyone else here, it’s just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by YoungEaglesFan View Post
    Agree to disagree.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    FP - I agree with what you are saying. However, truth be told, I don't think Glenn helped himself. In numerous interviews(print/tv) Glenn went on and on about the talents of Don Henley while minimizing his own talents. He would make jokes about his talent while stating Don was the voice of the Eagles and praising Don's solo career. He let Don become the voice of the Eagles. He stated it in the HOTE, which was watched by millions of people world wide. Glenn's work was not as "serious" as Don's. People tend to dismiss Glenn's career because he often dismissed it himself. I can't tell you how many you tube commentators say Glenn was the least talented member of the Eagles and that he had said that himself. I loved Glenn and think he was just as talented as Don but I am not sure if he thought that himself.

WF - Well said !

Agree to disagree.
    Fair enough. I apologize for coming off agresssive